Some Mac Users Unable to Log Into iMessage and FaceTime Following OS X 10.11.4 Update

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

MacRumors has been receiving a growing number of complaints from customers who are unable to log into iMessage and FaceTime after updating to OS X 10.11.4, which was released to the public on Monday. There are threads covering the issue on the MacRumors forums and the Apple Support Communities, along with user complaints on various social media networks.

The majority of the complaints are coming from users who did a fresh install of OS X, requiring them to log into the FaceTime and iMessage services. When attempting to sign in, an error pops up or nothing happens after entering an Apple ID and password, as seen in the video below. Customers who have recently purchased a new Mac also appear to be affected, and while most customers with login problems seem to be running OS X 10.11.4, there are also reports from those using earlier versions of OS X.

Apple support has been advising users to try logging out of iCloud and disabling two-factor authentication, but these fixes have not worked for most users. Apple's system status page is not listing any outages, but it appears there may be a problem with the iMessage and FaceTime activation servers. One customer who purchased a new Mac was told that Apple's engineering team is aware of the issue and is working on a fix.

[​IMG]
    Affected customers have been unable to log in since first upgrading to OS X 10.11.4, and so far, there is no reliable fix available to solve the problem. Not all customers who did a clean install of OS X 10.11.4 or who purchased a new Mac are affected, and it is not clear if there is a pattern between users who are experiencing problems.

Article Link: Some Mac Users Unable to Log Into iMessage and FaceTime Following OS X 10.11.4 Update

2. Glassed Silver macrumors 68000

Glassed Silver

As per usual, the quality assurance team has done an outstanding job again.

Why even look at that page?
    They'll post issues there after my local newspaper covered a big outage if anything.

Glassed Silver:mac

3. pips7000 macrumors newbie

pips7000

Yes its not upto scratch for some reason

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had an issue like this a while ago when I got my computer back from repair and they replaced the logic board which somehow made iMessage not work.

Went through so many levels of tech support and never figured it out.

I finally deleted stuff from KeyChain and it made it work again. I can't remember what I deleted. It was either the iMessage certificates or the AppleID ones.

5. BasicGreatGuy macrumors 68040

BasicGreatGuy

Glad to see MacRumors finally covering what appears to be a growing story.

I hope Apple can get this fixed asap. This doesn't look good after the big event.

6. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

-crime scene-

Sorry folks. We got another crime here. We can only allow authorities beyond this point. Two dead victims: imessage and facetime.

7. mountain macrumors 6502

mountain

8. yaxomoxay macrumors 65816

yaxomoxay

that would seriously piss me off. I am glad I waited.

9. gforce216 macrumors 6502

I'm in this exact scenario! Just bought a new 13" MBP and I couldn't log into iCloud on whatever build was on it. Updated (totally fresh build) to 10.11.4 and now just can't get iMessage or FaceTime. I spoke with Apple Support for 90 min but no luck.

10. YSP macrumors newbie

YSP

I've been struggling with this issue for two days now. Decided to do a fresh install to get rid of all the garbage that have accumulated in the system. 'Perfect' timing... Tried every possible thing. Glad to know they are at least working on that

11. smacrumon macrumors 65816

smacrumon

As a developer it's always curious to me what kind of changes have been made to an OS to cause this kind of difficulty in a new release, what changed since the previous version.

12. jiehanzheng macrumors newbie

Also having this issue. Fresh 10.11.4 install on MacBook (Early 2015)

13. nt5672 macrumors 6502a

Don't see the problem. This is perfectly normal with Apple services. Marketing said deliver, worker bees pushed the ship button. It's innovative, its, new, it just may not work right. But they'll fix it. Probably, to make some people happy, we'll see another 8 betas since people seem to think that solves all problems.

14. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

I don't know what you guys are talking about...i tested and everything is fine.

15. BasicGreatGuy, Mar 23, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2016

BasicGreatGuy macrumors 68040

BasicGreatGuy

User PaulyB80 posted the following in a thread a little while ago. Maybe someone can try it and see if it works.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/cant-sign-in-to-imessage-in-10-11-4.1962799/#post-22709673

Just bought a MacBook today, same issue. I've had a browse on the official Apple forums and come across the following post which has solved the problem for me:

Reply Helpfulby aPenguin on Oct 25, 2015 9:10 AM

The following procedure worked for me. Please note that it will delete your Apple ID account information for the current user and you will need to log in again.

• if the App Store is opened and stuck in the login process, force close it

• open the Terminal

• issue the following commands:
      • sudo pkill -9 -f Account

• sudo rm $HOME/Library/Accounts/*
    • open the App Store and log in

16. jiehanzheng macrumors newbie

This only happens on fresh installs. If you upgraded from a previous version, you won't see this problem

17. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

The list of issues that I'm having with Apple products is growing. This isn't a good sign.

18. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

OOOOhhhh. wait a minute....what do you mean fresh install? Do you mean erase your whole hd and reinstalling it? or just reinstalling over your current hd? I did fresh install as well.

19. glknpn macrumors newbie

glknpn

Also having this issue. Fresh iOS9.3 install no iMessage of FaceTime activation

20. jiehanzheng macrumors newbie

Command-R on boot, erase HD, then install OS X

21. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

Did you do feedback at apple website? If so, do you have a backup to previously version that worked?
    --- Post Merged, Mar 23, 2016 ---
    exactly what i did. hmmm...okay okay. I guess i haven't had a problem. Are you gonna reinstall again?

22. BasicGreatGuy macrumors 68040

BasicGreatGuy

Wiping HD and installing the OS. The problem hasn't affected every user.

23. pat500000 macrumors 68040

pat500000

Yeah...i guess some may have troubled during downloading? I can't say.

24. jiehanzheng macrumors newbie

This is my second erase and re-install already... :oops:

25. Richard Berkley macrumors newbie

I did not have that issue but it did take a good deal of time to accomplish the download and install. In the end really no serious problems. I did have issues with my iTunes library on the iMac not coordinating with my iOS devices and had to go into iTunes Preferences and recheck the iCloud Music Library box. That done, all is going well with this new OS X 10.11.4