Some Macintosh problems???!!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Bond007, Jun 28, 2003.

1. Bond007 macrumors newbie

Hi all. I seem to be having a few problems with my powermac. Its a 1ghz with 1g of ram and the comp is about 4 months old.

Heres my problems...

iTunes: Whenever I use the visualizer it studders every 6 or so seconds. It never did this when I first got it, this problem just accured about a month ago. I thought it would just go away, but no such luck. Any idea's?

Microphone: I tried USB microphone, i tried the regular mic jack in the back of the comp, and nothing. The comp wont pick it up at all. I've been wanting to use my mic with iChat A/v. This problem is also hapening on my other G4. So I was wondering if maybe there was a setting or something I might be missing? Or is the only option I have the new camera mic from apple for 150.00.???

Any help would be great. Thanks!!!

:cool:

2. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

for that sound input, go to systempreferences>sound

go to the input option and see if anything comes up when you plug it in.

and for the itunes problem, you may want to type 'top' (no quotes) into a terminal and see what's eating up your processor.

3. Bond007 thread starter macrumors newbie

In the input, there's a "Line In" option. Thats all. And for the terminal, the only thing running with the highest %of usage was the 'TOP'. At 6%CPU. Everyhthing else was 0.something. :confused: :confused:

4. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i got the same problem. no sound through line in.
    you know - i havent tried a USB mic but i shouldn't have to.
    why should i buy a usb mic when the one i already got should work. it does on my pc

and i do have the sound voulme all the way up.

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ifi remember right the powermacs do not have a mic port, just a line in. the mic port has an extra amp i believe to make it work. im not sure, it was something like that that the audio guy at work wa explaining to me. i would recommend getting an imic, and go from from there.

iJon

6. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Under the iChat preferences on the Video tab, at the bottom there is an option for audio from the internal mic or Line-in. It may say none too if you don't have an internal I think.

7. Bond007 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah. under the iChat prefs. it says 'mic enabled'. I guess i'll have to try a self powered mic, because I know this mic i have works, i tried it out on my roommates PC.:confused:

Another quick question, does anyone know if any USB camera (for net chat) will work with the Powermac? Or do i need something special for that as well>?:confused:

thanks.

8. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

for ichat AV you need a firewire camera. it will not work with any usb or usb2 cameras.

9. Bond007 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

That stinks. They shuould make it capable to do video with USB cams. They are cheaper. The quality is not as good, but they are cheaper.