Some movies are in 4:3

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bp1000, Dec 30, 2011.

1. macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    I spent quite some time backing up some DVDs which play on 16:9 on my DVD player / tv.

On apple tv they are coming out at 4:3

The tv zoom function distorts the picture and by default I see black bars either side.

I was just using the apple tv 2 preset in handbrake. Did I do something wrong or is there a setting on apple tv that can fix this?

Or do I need to re-encode all over again?
  2. macrumors 65816

Dec 10, 2002
    That is weird. What dimensions does the actual encoded file indicate? Does it look stretched out vertically?
  3. macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2010
    What aspect ratio do they play on your computer?
  4. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    They were recorded in 4:3

American Dad for example. Recorded in 4:3 but my DVD player automatically switches them to 16:9 when playing the DVD.

I understand handbrake has done it's job completely, but 4:3 looks quite crap on a Widescreen TV.

5. macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006

If something is recorded 4:3, there's no "switching" then to 16:9. If you're watching American Dad from a 4:3 recording, and it fills up a widescreen, it's zooming in on the picture and chopping off the top and bottom.

Handbrake can easily crop to any aspect ratio you want, but a 4:3 recording will always be 4:3.
  6. macrumors regular

Aug 24, 2009
    It could also be stretching the image. Either way, maintaining the 4:3 image is the right thing to do (and most stuff isn't 16:9 anyway, so it's pointless to try and force everything to fit)
  7. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    Handbrake has done it's job, maintaining the 4:3 format

However it is quite annoying when watching it back on a widescreen tv.

I compared the rip to the DVD disc version. The DVD player will happily fit the image to the full screen without cutting anything off.

Apple tv doesn't touch or re-scale the image, the only option is to use a zoom preset on my TV which chops off a lot of the picture.

Is there anyway around this, even stretching in handbrake to match the behaviour of the DVD player... must be better than the awful cropping / zoom feature on my plasma.
  8. thread starter macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2011
    Well i set handbrake picture settings to 1024 and preserve ratio and i now have widescreen

Yes it is stretching the image but it's a damm sight better than the TV zoom i was using before and to my taste the 4:3 on a widescreen looks really rubbish.

I've saved it as a preset now and will use it on all 4:3 footage, i hope that i won't run into problems.
  9. macrumors 6502a

Dec 30, 2008
    Nottingham, UK
    I know purists will say that 4:3 material should be watched at 4:3 but I'm like you, I like to stretch my media to fit the whole screen, these are the settings I use depending on weather the video is PAL or NTSC.
  10. macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Aug 7, 2006
    4:3 purists? Why would you want to stretch out a 4:3 image so people look all fat and short like a funhouse mirror.