Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Dude I said if I was offered the option to support my own county to buy goods made in my country I would pay more for that. It's my county. Yes it's self centric I want to support my country and economy more then China as I am not Chinese. This is normal you are just looking for reasons to hate Americans. There may be many but my desire to support my own economy in the country I live in is not one of them. Sorry your point is a complete fail and so is your biased hate.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I think not. Would you say "Assembled in the China", or "Assembled in the Mexico"?

No, that's because the names China and Mexico are single entities. USA stands for United States of America. So you'd say: Made in the United States of America. Not: Made in United States of America. The latter could refer to ANY United States of America, but the former refers specifically to THE United States of America, which is what the U.S is :)

PinoyAko

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
No, that's because the names China and Mexico are single entities. USA stands for United States of America. So you'd say: Made in the United States of America. Not: Made in United States of America. The latter could refer to ANY United States of America, but the former refers specifically to THE United States of America, which is what the U.S is :)

This is what in my mind as well.

Spizike9

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2011
Just looked at my mid 2011 iMac and it was assembled in the USA too! It was also a build to order.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Cool, I just checked my 2011 BTO iMac and it actually has assembled in Ireland etched into the aluminium.

Psychj0e

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2010
It'd be interesting to see some quality control figures between the two countries of assembly.

The article made that quite clear. Glad you can confirm it though. :rolleyes:

subtle racist undertones, and a dig at another member. niice.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania

Right, but how many of the components would actually be made in the US? Intel chips are made in Malaysia, and mostly every other kind of computer component is made in China or Taiwan. Maybe Apple builds the PCBs here, but I wonder if that is enough to claim its "Assembled in USA"

subtle racist undertones, and a dig at another member. niice.

Is it really racist to have an opinion based on real world trends?

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Right, but how many of the components would actually be made in the US? Intel chips are made in Malaysia, and mostly every other kind of computer component is made in China or Taiwan. Maybe Apple builds the PCBs here, but I wonder if that is enough to claim its "Assembled in USA"

It could also be the aluminium case, glass, and various internals like the cooling system and speakers. The fact that the new iMac is made with some new complicated manufacturing processes like the glass laminated to the screen and the chin being friction stir welded may also count as being a more substantial assembly than just screwing parts together.

Last edited:

anutharoundu

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2011
Interesting move I hope this happens more.

54.gif

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
So the only thing that happens in the USA is that those build to order imacs get their custom picked ram/ssd placed in and the screen gets glued on.

im assuming this is what apple is using as "assembled in the USA", i would like to know exactly what they do

----------

im assuming this is what apple is using as "assembled in the USA", i would like to know exactly what they do, and that they prove that they are not just dropping in a hard disk, ram and gluing the screen down .

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Just like the good-old days.

I bet the next MacPros are made in the USA, if this is a purposeful trend.

diipii

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
UK
Great news. Now if everyone, everywhere did this the recession would be over, we would all be so much happier and politicians could just ...well we know what they can do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.