Some new problems.....

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by BiggeeC, Aug 19, 2005.

1. BiggeeC macrumors regular

Ok everybody. I just finished putting together my Sawtooth. I have to tell you all, even though this thing is 400 mhz, it flies. I've never used a G5, so I don't know what that's like. But this is great. I'm ripping CD's in under 1 minute. AWESOME. Anyway, I do have a few problems. Hope you all can help.

1) My ipod won't show up on my screen. It charges, but won't appear on the computer. Is something wrong with my Firewire ports, because it works on my ibook. It won't come up in itunes, on disk utility, on the desktop, nowhere. What's the deal????

2) I had to give back the Samsung lcd.....now I have a Samsung CRT. It's not bad, but it's blurry. I've messed with the settings on both the monitor and the System Prefs. Still kinda blurry. It seems to be the sharpness.

I have more problems, but I think I'll be ok w/ them. Thanks for the help.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What operating system? I don't think iPods will work with anything pre-OSX.

3. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

4. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I hear ya......

Switching from an LCD to a CRT seems like everything is blurry. Mac's don't look that "hot" on CRT's. I think the font smoothing, with the general "blurriness" of the CRT combine to produce a bad output.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weird. It could be the Firewire port, does anything else work with it? Could you possible find another device to try?

Otherwise, maybe try reinstalling the iPod Updater software to see if it then recognises the iPod.

6. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Have you enabled disk use of the iPod in iTunes? I don't know how well that will help though.

7. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Did you change the font smoothing settings? It could also be the resolution you are using. Try a higher resolution and see if you like it more.

8. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

Done what you all have said.......nothing changed. I think I'm just stuck w/ the older moniter, but the ipod thing is killing me.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Have you tried re-starting the computer with the iPod plugged in?

10. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

I've tried restarting it, changing slots for the firewire card, tried all 6 firewire connections I have.....nothing. Maybe I just need to replace the Firewire card. I don't know.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

12. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

With the iPod I'm not sure. With the monitor though I have a drastic idea. If you open the case there are some manual focus dials that can be tweaked with a set of hexagon screw drivers. That might help a bit. These dials are not accessible unless you open the case (generally below the CRT in the back).

13. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Faulty iPod firewire cable???

I would say Maybe only the power rails are working, but you said it works on your iBook....
    You could try buying a USB<->dock connector cable and see if it's recognised that way.
    And also see if it is picked up in apple system profiler.

14. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

It is not on my computer at all. IT IS NOT THERE. For the life of me, I can't figure this out.

15. angelneo macrumors 68000

BiggeeC, did you solve your firewire port problems? It seems that I have just encountered the same one as you. My iPod charges as well without being detected, my external harddisk could not be detected as well. It was working fine last week. I am using the 1.33 15 inch powerbook with Tiger. The only major things I did in between was that new security update.

16. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

angelneo,
    Nope. Haven't fixed that problem yet. As I said before.....I can't, for the life of me, figure out what is wrong.

17. stevey500 macrumors 6502

OS/X May not support your firewire card like it does not support my USB 2 card I have in my digital audio G4... don't you have the built-in firewire controller module??

18. angelneo macrumors 68000

I googled around for this problem, and found that some people have the same problem as well with their firewire, turns out that it is most probably a dead firewire port.

http://forums.macnn.com/archive/index.php/t-190708.html

I did a clean reinstall of my powerbook, however, it still could not recover it. I think I have to send it in for repair.... Just when your warranty just ran out....

19. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

There was just a thread about this.

DON'T open a crt unless you are very, very, very prepared with tools, knowledge, etc.

There is a hell of a lot of capacitance in a crt, even when it's off. If you touch the wrong thing inside, you can discharge enough voltage to kill you quite easily.

I would buy a new display before I'd open a crt, personally.

20. Makosuke macrumors 603

...not to mention the fact that it obviously must be on to adjust the focus of it. Dangerous business, that is.

It's probably just age, anyway--many older and/or inexpensive CRTs were blurry when they were brand new, so I'd vote on it being a lost cause. I had a midrange 19" Trinitron until recently, and it had (or had developed--was too gradual to be sure) fuzzyness anywhere but near the center of the screen. That one even had user-accessable adjustments, but they weren't capable of getting the whole screen sharp at once.

21. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Well I didn't say it was a drastic measure for nothing. Agreed, opening a CRT is not to be taken lightly, unless properly trained (or even if trained) you run the risk of extremem electrocution.

Go buy an LCD and be done with CRT's for good :-D

22. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

angelneo.....ok. maybe it's because I just woke up, or that I'm just not all there; can I just replace the FW card, and that should be it? Because that other board/website were all talking about PowerBooks. The Powerbook would need alot more work than a tower.

23. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

How are you ripping CD's in under a minute with a G4 400mhz i used to have one and they definatly took longer than 1minute to rip a CD...

ShadOW

24. BiggeeC thread starter macrumors regular

I wronly was ripping them in aiff format, which took about 45 seconds to 1 minute to rip. When I realized that the 500 songs I put on my hard drive in about 1 hour were taking up 40 gb I said....................."huh?" It then took something like 8 1/2 hours to convert them to aac files. So, yeah, it now takes muuuuuuch longer to rip a CD. However, I am thinking of ripping all future CD's as aiff files (I have well over 600 CD's to put in itunes), and then, again, converting them to aac files while I sleep. I find this much more convient than waiting all that time to import cd's.