Some Nintendo observations

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, May 9, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Just thought I'd put this in it's own little thread.

Red Steel demonstrated something I knew it would have. Something very hard to pick off from the magazine scans (which some people thought were modified :D ); Bloom lighting. I don't know if its HDR, I only have the 320*180 trailer so it's hard to pick up. But there was definite bloom lighting which can clearly be seen in the bit where the player tilts the gun sideways, the hand and gun have a light glow around them. The shadows too are alterable, they start sharp and turn blurry. I'd love to see a game like Wind Waker with multiple and obvious light sources to see the power of the Wii's lighting. I did not see any HDR going on though, no alterable aperture. Though I haven't seen that in any X360 or PS3 games yet either.
    Extremely smooth character animation too. Look at when the player shoots the wall beside an enemy. The motion of "Oh c***!" to running is perfectly done. Ditto for the scene on the rooftop with the boss charging at the player. Physics and lighting is there.

The lighting especially on the Rayman game looked very good. And we saw some many (hundreds?) of those rabbit things running smoothly.

Mario Galaxy showed off some reflective textures, but that's nothing special. Though I've never seen it as clear as this before.

I couldn't spot a single polygon in the Metroid trailer. None on Samus's head which was the obvious spot on the GC version.

Overall the Wii demonstrated, without pushing too far (Wii Sports for example) the power that the machine has. Bloom/HDR, soft shadows, real time lighting. Everything the 360 and PS3 has. Albeit in SD resolutions.

2. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i don't know why but mario galaxy has me very excited. Maybe its because i hated the last mario game. Mario Sunshine.

3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Mario Galaxy has me excited too. It's either Mario 128 or has a similar gameplay model/formula. From what I've heard about it, it's a force to be seen.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear that, I bought Sunshine and returned it the same day. It was pretty gay.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I dunno. Mario Sunshines first level was the only game of last gen to actually make me smile and made me feel like I'm playing something 'good'. It's no Mario 64 but I found it a very fun game to play. Some levels just looked stunning- the mushroom-top village, the giant water fall level and the theme park. Not to mention the first level.

7. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I want a good mario as much as anyone else, but did the gameplay seem a little limited to any one else? It seemed like all of the levels he was jumping around on were spherical objects and not very large landscapes. I get the whole galaxy thing but if there are no distinct worlds then I might miss them a little.

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

as a bit of a developer myself I'm trying to think how Mario Galaxy is going to work. and I just can't do it. It could be that the entire game is composed of these planets, hundreds of them. And you fly around each one, obviously dungeon/boss ones being much bigger.
    It's too hard to tell from what we say. It really could go any way.

ANOTHER THING. Notice on the Mario screenshots, it says "Mario" above the lives indicator. This will have some form of multiplayer or switchable characters.

9. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

*Downloads Hi-Res version of Nintendo's conference*

Paid for a month of GameSpot and IGN just for the E3 coverage ^_^

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh and the Nunchuck adapter to plug into the Wiimote suddenly got smaller too. And it seems Nintendo can't make their mind up if the end of the Wiimote is a small black circle or a big black funny-shaped thing. The small circle looks like a camera, at least going off the shine it produces on the Red Steel trailer.

11. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Damn you! ;)

12. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

my impression of red steel was a boring impersise slow paced game... with mediocre graphics to boot. I'll withold judgement ond the nintendo controller and new setup untill i actually use it but so far i'm not impressed.

No im not a sony or m$ fanboy dont own any of their systems I'm just saying what i notice. And what I see a control scheam that is unwhieldly... but maybe the guy doing the demos doesnt have much expirience.

After all people have been using mice and joysticks for years it will take a bit to get used to this new controller scheme.

13. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

i liked Super Mario Sunshine :eek: I'm not quite sure however why you guys think that Galaxy will be better, to me it looks EXACTLY like Sunshine only set in space...

14. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I was really hoping to love mario....well at least i get the new super mario bros on the DS. This mario does not impress me(its just me, maybe if i see more of it)...it does look like sunshine...oh well.

Bless

15. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

It's looking more like some zany sports game to me for some reason :confused:

Anywho. I reckon this IS the next Mario 64. In as much that it feels utterly gorgeous to control in a world that can only work with this hardware.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

SMB Galaxy gets back to just Mario doing his thing. Sunshine he had that water machine, and I wasn't a fan of that. To elaborate on my "it was gay" comment, it just seemed like Sunshine was dumbdowned and aimed at 5 year olds. I understand Mario games are not Grand Theft Auto, but I was really put off by it.

17. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I'm betting you didn't play through it far then, as a guy who has played mario since he was 6 years old (now 24) it was definitely mario and it was *not* incredibly easy.

Some of the higher levels and objectives are just plain hard... I still need to go back and complete that game.

I would say that the game improved as I progressed, beginning levels were not the best. I could have done without the waterpack but I found that I used it for little more then a short "hover" function...

18. Goliath macrumors regular

Goliath

Mario is the biggest selling franchise of games ever! Bar none. Over 200 million games sold to date!

Zelda: Occarina Of Time was the first game to sell $1 billion in retail sales

The Gameboy from launch up to the current DS have sold in excess of 192 million units making it the most successful console system to date.

Anyway the next gen "war" won't see Nintendo as a casualty despite offering the least advanced console.

Zelda: OOT was claimed to cost $70million in production and took 4 years to produce.
    'average' games on current hardware (PS2 XBox GC) can cost upwards of $20 million to develop BEFORE factoring in advertising costs.

With that in mind major game developers are less willing to sign exclusive development contracts for next gen consoles. Nintendo's back catalogue being made available and the fact Zelda, Mario etc will not be available on ANY other hardware should see it's continued success

Probably way off topic and the wrong thread! I've had lots to drink and wanted to get that off my chest!

Long live the BIG N!!!!!

19. belovedmonster macrumors regular

The Wii is basically the DS of the home console world... ie. make it just about powerful enough, but make up for it with a unique interface, charge less for it than their rivals, and make games that appeal to people beside the core gaming audience...

Everyone knows that the DS is completely whipping the PSPs butt so I think Nintendo are onto a winner.

Its interesting that Sony and Microsoft are saying that Nintendo are aiming for a niche market, because the niche they are aiming for (none gamers) is actually a lot bigger that the so called "core gamers"

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you making a metaphor? What is "SMB Galaxy?" I've never heard of a game by that name.... And if it exists, I want it!!!

BTW, has anyone played this:

http://www.marioween.tk/

21. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

I agree about the dislike of Mario Sunshine. The water pack just didn't work for me, and the camera operation was simply horrible. On top of that, it didn't have the free feeling of Mario 64, where you could enter a world and complete whichever task you wanted. And the "retro levels" were way too hard and annoying.

looking forward to SM Galaxy.

22. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I enjoyed mario sunshine. But I completely agree with you on the camera and the retro levels. They were IMPOSSIBLE. But I beat them after many thrown controllers and explitives.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Something that dawned on me early this morning. Probably been mentioned 100 times or more and I'm just a bit slow on the uptake, and don't follow the industry as well as I used to, but the Wiimote/nunchuck is the first time I can remember where the controler(s) don't have a specific orientation in the hands, i.e. directional control with the left hand and fire, run, jump with the right hand. With the nunchuck style it looks like you could swap hands on a whim, which could be beneficial for non-gamers who may not like the rigidity of being told which hand they should use for what function. Veterans will probably stick to the nunchuck in the left hand but it could make for fun handicaps when playing new players. "Okay, now I'm going to do it left handed."

This completes my random obvious thought for the day. Check back tomorrow when I realize that it hurts to stare at the sun for long periods of time....

24. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I didn't want to start ANOTHER Wii thread, so I picked this one... OK, I read what Matt at IGN had to say about the Nintendo press conference, and there was one little line that I wanted to share and discuss:

I know he was being derogitory [towards the WiiSports games], but I thought to myself: Hey, that would have been SWEET. There's a N64 on a chip systems now, which they sell in China, and it could have easily fit into the sensor bar thing. Drop the optical drive, put a USB port on it for an optional harddrive or USB thumb drives, and load it up with 1gb of flash memory, and a wifi adaptor. Sell all the games online for $19.99-14.99, or on SD memory cards for $29.99-34.99. Charge $80 for the system with a controller and it would have been a must have for everyone. I mean, c'mon... for even $200 some people are gonna pass and put the money towards (half) a PS3 or 360, but for $80? They'd sell them by the 10's of millions. Maybe that's just me though.

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Ok, i change my mind...The mario game is looking real good now....it looks fun.

Bless