Some of my apps are bulding up in size, any way to clear its saved data?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dragoro, Nov 26, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 27, 2010
    For instance, my google+ has gone from like 16 megs to well over 200+. Is there a way to flush its saved data once in awhile? Or do I need to delete and reinstall the app to get back down in size?
  2. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2012
  3. macrumors 68020

Oct 15, 2008
    Some apps have a "Clear cache & Data" button.

Not all apps though.

I wish Spotify had one.

I need to delete that app once a month because it builds up to over a Gig.
  4. macrumors 601

Jan 16, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    I would like to see an option for this in iOS, but I don't really see where Apple would put it it.

Android has a section in the Settings App where all Applications are shown, but that doesn't really fit in with the design of iOS.

Attached Files:

5. macrumors 604

Apr 6, 2007
    Of course it fits in iOS. Under Settings -> General -> Usage there's already a listing of apps and how much storage they're using. Tapping on each app is supposed to provide further info, but it's pretty sparse. There's already a button there to delete the app, so it would definitely make sense to also have a "remove documents and data" option as well on this same screen.

6. macrumors 601

Jan 16, 2008
    Bristol, UK
    Ah, of course!

I forgot about that.

That would be the place to put it!

Additional options under each App to clear the cache or to clear the App's data.

iOS 5 beta (which I think introduced that section) had an option to delete the App data, but they took it out.

Maybe Apple thinks it would be confusing for users.
  7. macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

Jan 7, 2012
    Location Location
    iOS 5 beta did indeed have the clear cache option, it seemed un-Appley but I thought they hid it deep enough in the settings so it wouldn't be a problem... sadly it got removed. :(
  8. macrumors 601

Oct 14, 2007
    Facebook is another pain in the a$$ for collating data too !