Some of my pics

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by annk, Mar 8, 2006.

1. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Ok, I've finally gotten up the nerve to share a few pics. These are shot with my Canon Powershot S2 IS, which was brand new at the time :p

This one is from my mother's garden in Wisconsin. She has some wild plants, and I played with the saturation a bit on this one to make it a bit more intense.

[​IMG]

Another saturation-altered plant.

[​IMG]

Here is the original, and an altered version. I can't decide which I like best. There's more definition in the leaves in the first, but I like how there's more depth in the white in the second, without sacrificing the leaves entirely.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've played around in this in aperture, to try to emphasize the intense concentration without removing TOO many of the great facial details, and to blur a bit of the background.

[​IMG]

And finally, the world's largest Merry-go-round, in motion.

[​IMG]

2. MrTchMan macrumors member

Looks great....I need to get into photography.

3. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

I don´t know why the last one is only partly there, I´ll see what´s up with Photobucket and try to fix it. There´s nothing earth-shattering in the bottom of the pic, but it looks peculiar.

Edit: Fixed!

4. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

Wow! Those are incredible. I really like how you've increased the saturation. It makes them look very lively. Thanks for sharing.

5. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks, you guys :) . My mom´s garden is amazing, she grows wild stuff. I spent a couple hours down there, getting bitten by mosquitoes.

6. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Very, very nice photos. I especially love the first 2!! On the flower, I say I like the whiter and brighter one. The other one seems a bit dull in my opinion (still quite nice, but not as much so as the other one).
    Nice pics! :)

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

The plants with saturation look phenomenal.
    Did you make any other changes to them? cause it looks too good

:)

8. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    My favorite is the white flower without modification. If you wanted, you could gently lighten the flower a smidgen and keep the leaves "as is" in order to achieve the effect you want.

The overly-saturated ones really pop out at the viewer! Wow! A little TOO over-saturated for my taste, but certainly you are creative!

Love the carousel at the end!

Edited to add: I think you're more than ready for a DSLR! :)

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i love them, especially the first one. just beauitful.
    awesome job, i wish i had some shots that were an eighth as good.

10. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Love the plants and the merry-go-round.

Any chance for bigger ones so I can have a few desktops?

11. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

To honest, I may have - I was playing around in Aperture for the first time, and was pulling the bars here and there, not really know what I was doing, but wanting to see what did what. Saturation is the only one I specifically remember.

But I didn´t do any retouching, or anything like that. The faint string-like thing you barely can see, is a spider web, by the way.

Yeah, I know :eek: , the first one especially borders on being a bit vulgar, but I decided to let it be, since it really reminded me of the wildness of her garden. `Spose it was a case of a camera n00b getting Aperture, hehe.

Hmmm...it didn´t even occur to me that I could lighten/darken only one part. Wouldn´t the flower be hard to isolate? I gotta try this.

Sure send me a PM with your mail address and which ones you want, and I´ll send you some.

Now if only my bank account were ready!!:rolleyes:

12. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Here´s the original of that first one. My mother likes this one much better; she was appalled at the altered one. I see her point, I just liked the way (as Clix Pix said) it jumped out at me.

[​IMG]

13. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I agree the original of the first one is better. I tend to be a saturation monster :rolleyes:, but I think this looks very nice and natural in the original! :)

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

On the white flower, try selecting the flower only, applying a smidgen of feathering (only a couple of pixels) and do you white saturation adjustment, and your leaf adjustment, separately. Since there's such a large contrast between the foreground and background, it will be hard to tell you have manipulated them unequally.

15. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Thanks, I'll try that. I just wish I had framed it better - had I realised it was going to turn out relatively well, I would have paid more attention to getting the whole flower in the frame. Guess it'll teach me to pay attention to details while shooting.

16. nw43 macrumors regular

Is this The House on The Rock?

I was there last summer and have a photo a bit like that :)

Quite a strange place but pretty interesting!

17. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yes, it is! I always try to get there once when I´m back visiting, about every 2 years. The woman you barely can see in front is my sister-in-law.

18. nw43 macrumors regular

Cool, I thought as much. I think it's a great place but, if anything, they have a little too much of everything! It can be a little overwhelming... :eek:

Oh, I really like your pics by the way. Especially the first one.

19. annk thread starter Administrator

annk

Staff Member

Yeah, people look pretty shell-shocked when they come out :D

Glad you like the pics!