Some Panther info with a few pics

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by TMA, Jun 24, 2003.

1. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

Just watched a stream of someone installing OS X Panther onto their mac, got a few screenshots and a few tidbits of information from it. Anyway here they are for anyone that's interested.

2. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

3. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

and X11 as an install option.
    Must say a big thanks to the guy doing the stream, I just picked up the URL in chat and have no way to say ta.

4. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

5. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

6. maraczc macrumors member

It doesn't mention the G5. Also I hate the idea of a brush metal theme finder. I hope that you can choose to have the current appearance.

7. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

You cannot choose that. It is the way it is, until someone skins it.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

i dont see how. its say you can use an imac, which the original is the same speed ast he g3 towers. i wonder if the installation knows what computer you are using, im sure it can.

iJon

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

i think it means anything before the last CRT iMac. sa in it is the earliest machine it can run on.

dont worry though - give everyone about three weeks (so long :D) and there will be a way to bypass it available.

10. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

The first iMacs were slower, but the Beige G3 is the only old world machine you can officially install OS X on. Maybe Apple are completely dropping old world support.

It's a shame, I wanted 10.3 to go on my Beige (used as a server). Unless the Beige machines were infact on the list, but the cropping of the image has got rid of them.

AppleMatt

11. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

I'm sure there will be some clever method of installing 10.3 on the old beige G3s...i mean people have successfully installed OS X on 604es, so don't give up hope!

12. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

Could it be that the Beige Powermacs are supported but they were mentioned off the bottom of the photo?

The stream was pretty slow, only updated every 2 seconds. So I didn't get much chance to see.

Now that more err 'developers' have Panther installed maybe someone could confirm the requirements?

13. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

if there is a new built will the one you got right now be updated via system update, or do you have to make a reinstall with every new built released.
    how is the stability ?

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

ok wow, i just found a huge bug in panther and it s gonna drive me crazy. i started a torrent file and stopped it. when i went to start it back up again, panther will only let me replace the file, not resume it like normal, same with ircle. back to jaguar for me.

edit: nevermind, i fixed it.

iJon

15. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Thats what I asked in my last post:

As I am one of the, er, developers I'll be getting my hands on a copy tomorrow, and will post the full list for compatible machines. If it doesn't say Beige G3's, I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens!

AppleMatt

16. TMA thread starter macrumors 6502a

TMA

wups sorry AppleMatt, I should have read your post abit more carefully.

I suspect it will run on Beige G3's.

People argue that features like expose and fast user switch will mean the OS requires a G4/Quartz Extreme powered graphics cards to run at all - This is nonsense imho.

17. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

How does one go about uninstalling Panther or downgrading? I've tried and Jaguar comes up @ 640x480 resolution with no way to change it...

18. pEZ macrumors 6502

I will also be getting a copy of Panther in the near future - however I'd like to know how to go back to Jaguar if there are too many problems.

19. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

does your current disk have partitions?
    If it does install it on a seperate partition so you can do a clean install and you keep your working jag...otherwise i'm not sure

20. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

60x support was dropped with jaguar. by not supporting the legacy code, it made for speed improvements by not having to comple for those processors. 10.1.5 is the latest version u can run on a 603[e] or 604[e][v]

my firend did see the developer for xpostfacto at wwdc, so if it is possible he will be all over it i'm sure

21. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

beige g3 is not on the list. i specifically looked for this since i run 10.2 on my 9600. B&W is...so i'm thinking this is intentional. beige g3s are a mix of old and new world ROMs, B&W is all new world.

apple has had a recent trend of cleansing old machines out of the OS lineup. i'm leaning towards pessimism with this one. i suspect gestalt codes will be used with more frequency now with 64-bit optimizations and a broad spectrum of supported machines.

22. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

it might have changed, but with the jag releases there were seperate cds for each build.

i think that there's too many variables in pre-release software to have some sort of centralized update system. software update is mostly in place for convienience of the end user. since these are developers we're talking about, it's a much more controlled environment for testing if the cds are obtained directly from apple.

stability for me has been iffy with the WWDC build. the test machine is a 450MHz G4 Sawtooth. i have found it best to keep the drive minimally customized so i can nuke it for the next build easily. i think clean install is recommended for every build (it was with jag) but i havent read the fine print.

23. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

there is an archive and install option too, but your suggestion is the best and easiest.

24. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

If one were interested in becomming a "developer" how would he go about doing it?