some people are just such arrogant *******s...

Discussion in 'Community' started by King Cobra, Jan 18, 2003.

1. King Cobra macrumors 603

Our family has a house in Maine, which operates through gas heat. We were supposed to have heat delivered about every four weeks. This past week, my father got a call, saying the gas men couldn't get into our driveway. One of the guys, however, was able to get to the tank through a walk path. Instead of filling it, as required, he read the valve as 80 percent full, when the tank was empty. He didn't even check the tank itself.

You would think that by now the tank would be at least near empty, and not 80 percent full, right?

Anyways, so my family and myself went up to Maine to inspect the house --
    There is no heat, the house is frozen solid, and all the pipes are completely frozen. Outside the house, it was 0 deg F (about -18 deg. Celsius). Inside, it was almost no warmer!

Wait, it gets better. Because our tank wasn't filled, not only did our pipes freeze, but some of the motherf***ers BURST! Wide open. We had to sleep on the couch, covered as anything, in below freezing temperatures, through the night. The only thing keeping us a little warm was the stove fireplace.

Saturday morning, we continued to hear pipes bursting. We got some guys over to inspect the house, and we have about 20 f***ing burst pipes to be repaired!

All of this crap because someone decided to read only the valve on the tank, not to mention, lie. Somebody say lawsuit?

Our Maine house is dying because of people being plain and ordinary *******s. Not to mention some people are just that.

2. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    well, i am sure your parents will be speaking with the gas company. you paid them for a service contracted, and they broke the contract through neglegence....

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm very sorry to hear of the problem that you are having, wonder where integrity & work ethic has gone. Just want to get by by doing the least possible. I hope you have all you documentation in order!

4. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Ah yes, the local Mainers and the attitude some have towards people from "away". I have family living there who have to deal with that all the time. Most people in Maine are just like anywhere else, hard working, decent, dependable, but every so often you find this attitude that if you weren't born in Maine, or if your ancestors didn't step off the Mayflower and turn right within a week, then well you don't deserve anything but the minimum of decency, if that. This may have nothing to do with your case as this sounds like simple incompetence, but I've seen it firsthand.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Sorry to hear that. It sounds about like Floriduh.

We have so many careless people here actually claiming to be working.

Hope things get back to normal and the house can be repaired properly.

6. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Devil's advocate:

You own the tank, and I'd guess that the contract you have with the gas company says that you represent and warrant that the tank is in good working order, therefore their reliance on the valve was probably in good faith, and any damage was the result of your families failure to properly maintain the tank it owns.

Some people are arragont *ssholes, but then again, there's two sides to every story.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It never really freezes where I live, and even when it does, pipes never freeze unless they're bare and outside...

I also have a natural gas line hooked up to my house, so no delivery...

Of course, the original pipes in the house were made from cheap mexican copper (living so close to the border has its disadvantages, such as cheap building materials), and that crap kept on getting pinhole leaks, that we would notice after seeing a wet spot on the wall or carpet... Then we'd have to knock out the wall, fix the pipe, and patch it back up... Well, we finally decided to get all of the water pipes re-done in the house, so they tore everything apart where there were pipes, put in new ones, and patched up the walls... We finally got the main part of the house painted, so it looks better than before. The old pipe was so brittle and thin, that you just had to bend it about 20° to break it (it's thin copper pipe) I mean, you could tap it, and put a hole in it... That sucks to hear about your house, though... I would think that the guy reading the meter should think it odd to be down to only 80% though... I think I smell a law suit (or at least plea-bargain)

8. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

Ouch! I think this whole post was really just a plea for some sympathy. As much as I like to play Devil's advocate, sometimes you just got to let people have their moments.

I just hope you guys have homeowners insurance for this sort of thing.
    Also, when I lived back east we had a problem with really cold weather affecting some pipes that went through the ceiling of the garage to the laundry. Rather than heat a garage in really cold weather we bought a electric pipe heating gizmo that wraps around the pipe. Only cost a few bucks and is still doing the trick. In your case since you aren't there much in the winter you may want to look into something similar, like an electric heater on a thermostat set to 35?

9. Ryan Heid macrumors newbie

Sorry to hear about that, that guy is certainly an *******. How do you figure he's arrogant, though?

10. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Well, this guy has his face stuck so far up his ass he is lucky to be able to breathe.

More specifically, though, my father made a phone call to this guy and sounded rather pissed (with reason). I'm not sure if he was disconnected or was told to wait, but we got a busy signal from his office for hours on end.

When my father finally did get a hold of this guy, here's how the conversation went, more or less:
    Pops: What else do you do?
    Guy: Well, I drive.
    Pops: Are you the guy that came to our house and inspected the tank.
    Guy: Yes. The valve read 80% full.
    Pops: Don't you guys ever check the tank to make sure that it isn't empty?
    Guy: Well, that's what the valve read.
    Pops: But you would think that if we haven't had fuel delivered in over 4 weeks it would be near empty, right?
    Guy: Would hold on a minute, please?
    Pops: NO! GET THE F!!KING FUEL HERE NOW!

My father is as pissed as ever. Tell me that isn't arrogance and be honest about it. :rolleyes:

11. bondipete macrumors member

who's the arrogant one meant to be in that conversation.
    It looks pretty clear to me....

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i just don't think arrogant is the word you want.

but that's just me.

13. bondipete macrumors member

you're right.
    but discretion, friend. Discretion.

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i meant cobra... in that i wouldn't think "arrogant" when i heard the story... i might think... "rude" or "unprofessional" or just "scumbag".. but arrogant doesn't seem to fit

what did you have in mind though, friend? ;)

15. bondipete macrumors member

I thought that, yeah, someone's made a mistake here.
    And it's unfortunate that the whole family had to spend a night in the cold and that the pipes burst.
    But it's a bit unreasonable to ring up and abuse and swear at the guy who seemingly made an honest (even a little foolish) mistake.

I mean, if you have a problem with the gas company, take it to the gas company, don't vent your frustration on the guy who made the mistake. It doesn't help anyone. He gets mad, the dad looks like a swine, and nothing gets fixed.

anyway, if they couldn't get up the drive, how were they going to fill the tank anyway?

16. Choppaface macrumors 65816

did they guy even know that it hadn't been filled up that long? I guess you could argue that he should have filled it up to full anyways

17. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

Yes, but my father wouldn't exclaim like that without a reason.

He had a conversation with the guy earlier that day. The guy had the audacity (right word?) to ask: "Well, what do ya need the tank for anyways?"

Uh, let's see. Our house has 20+ broken pipes, you guys are responsible, and you aren't going to do anything about it?

But I guess one could argue against my father for that part of the conversation. Luckily, though, we're all a lot calmer.

jello, I see where you're coming from, since I didn't mention all the details, friend. :)

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think some people are just *******s...period.

I feel for u...

but honestly...the older I've gotten...and the wiser I've become...

the more I've come to accept that most people are just plain *******s and that I should pity them... :(

19. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

My parents had a similar incident happen here in Michigan. What saved them was they had a second tank, that had enough to keep the house warm (it also helped they lived there, and knew right away when they ran out of gas). Yep defective meter.

Anyway, if your parents are paying them to fill the tank, I think the meter reading is irrelevant. They should have filled it anyway.

just my .02

20. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i always thought that the tank and meter were the gas company's property anyway, that they "leased" to you or some technical crap like that.

Anyway, i can see where you might call him arrogant, i might call him the same in your place...

it's different from our point of view, because we're not emotionally involved...

depending on the written/verbal contract, you could probably sue over this...

pnw

21. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Yes, it sounds like you could probably sue or threaten to sue if the gas company doesn't pay for the damages.

I hope everything gets repaired and back to normal.

22. bondipete macrumors member

I see your problem there. Being a lawyer (or almost-lawyer), I would always say "don't sue". It's expensive for everyone. But do talk to the company about their and your responsibilities. I don't know the arrangement, but whose responsibility is it to ensure that the tank and meter are in good working order? If theirs, then they should pay. If yours, then it will be more difficult. It's hard to say "you should have known and saved our pipes" when they discharged all their responsibilities.

So, in conclusion. Good luck. Sounds like a mess.
    :)

23. 3777 macrumors 6502

Yes, I just met one named Taft on another thread:eek:

24. King Cobra thread starter macrumors 603

bondipete, mcrain, I understand your point of view. But, as far as I know, I am not clear on whether or not we "own" the tank. I know the tank on our property is supposed to be filled every so often by someone and we pay for the tank's filling.

Either way, I think our insurance company is going to send someone over to inspect the house so they pay for the damage, and we don't pay a penny, except for repainting the walls and such. :)

25. bondipete macrumors member

Ah! There's an insurance company!
    That's what we want to hear.
    Spread the cost to a deeeeep pocket!
    Bravo. I salute you. Claim away. That's what they're for.:)