some people at apple are jerks

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mnkeybsness, Jan 10, 2003.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    so i paid a visit to my high school graphics/multimedia teachers the other day...

one of them went to MWSF with a couple school board members to present to apple some of the things that we have done in those classes (graphics, multimedia, web design, video productions). what he was looking for was some type of help with costs of apple products and direction to be taking with what we are doing...pretty much all the apple guys had to say was that the classes have already surpassed the beginner/intermediate level and there was nothing they could do but keep doing what they are now.

i think that was kind of harsh on the classes since they just built a new school and funding for computers and such is pretty low. the two classrooms are HOPING they can come by getting superdrive imacs so everyone in the classes can have a chance making dvds...

the classrooms are legal across all computers for every adobe application because adobe worked a deal with them for about $30-$100 for each title!

but that doesn't help much because they've been experiencing a lot of difficulty with technical problems with premeire and now want to use final cut express. but that might not be possible considering educational discount is $250 for each copy

what do u think, could apple have worked out a deal with the school?
  2. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Not sure about the "jerks" thing...

Apple can't necessarily make deals with every educational institution that comes their way asking for handouts or price cuts. As far as I've seen they stick pretty hard to their educational prices, and occasionally throw in a freebie along the way (we got offered 1 free eMac for every 20 we ordered recently).

That said, I'd really like to see Apple making some serious efforts to take back control of the Edu market from Dell. Better Edu discounts, more special offers...get those kids hooked early on a better platform. If the purchase costs of PCs and Macs reach parity I'm sure we'd see a lot more Macs in Edu.
  3. benixau macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Daddy and Son

and then go home and promptly tell dad:

"Dad .."
    "Yes son .."
    "Did you know that whilst your computer controls 95% of the market, the macintosh has 50% of software sales and will last 300% as long as a pc bought at the same time with specifications well above that of the macintosh?"
    Dad sits jaw-dropped
    "Dad, can i get a mac?"
    Dad still jaw-dropped, heavy blinking
    "Thanx dad, i love you"
    Kisses dad and runs off to tell mum.
  4. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    Re: Not sure about the "jerks" thing...

i would like to see apple take back some of the edu market, too

but they won't since that requires strategic business thinking, something apple does not have

and if it hit them in the face, they would not be able to recognize it

while apple's software is better than microsoft's and apple's hardware is better than dell's...the pc companies know business and strategic thinking

steve jobs and the past ceos like to run apple either like a charity or non profit...organizational skills are not apple's strong point

apple once had an open house some time back for employment opportunities and they put out all these ads and flyers to come, but don't bring a was supposed to be a friendly informal get together type of thing...more of a pr move in silicon valley

i have a degree in hr and i worked for the government helping other people with resumes and i show up at apple, and they were wondering where my suit and resume was

so much for "no resumes, informal, and friendly"

apple inc makes great machines...that's why i have an ibook and plan to get another mac...but they are complete jackasses when it comes to business and strategic thinking

wall street knows this and that's why there is always a business death watch for apple...they have their heads so far up their asses when it comes to dollars and cents

but part of not worrying about the financials gives them the freedom to think and act like free spirited artists and get creative...really creative

i don't see button down mba types coming up with cool stuff like the imac and wouldn'
  5. Macrox macrumors newbie

Jan 10, 2003
    Help for your school...

I am a K12 Education Account Executive for Apple Computer, and if you could give me the name of your school and location I can have the appropriate AE contact your Technology Coordinator and discuss possibilities of further advancing your school's program. It sounds like your school has done an incredible job with technology integration, yet we can definitely do something to further their position.

Please excuse the reply from the individual at MacWorld, he may not have been familiar with the education sector of Apple. If you want to send me a personal message, we can work through it that way so you don't have to worry about disseminating information on the boards.

I apologize once again for your inconvenience.

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    There you go, mnkeybsness, proof that Apple's listening to us in the Edu market. :)

Thanks for coming forward, Macrox.
  7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Years back, I accidently subscribed myself to the wrong developers forum at Apple; long story short, their forum manager flamed me really heavily. *Lots* of cursing. Every company has jerks, Apple is no exception. Even Steve is reputed to be pretty hard on people occasionally... we all have bad days :)

8. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i really hope this guy is for real...

but i thought that apple employees were not allowed to post on the forums?

i did send a pm
  9. Mal macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2002
    I know someone that is supposed to watch boards like these as part of his job. He can prob post on them as long as it's just his personal opinions and stuff, no information about upcoming stuff. It sure looked like he was for real, and I can't see anyone faking it for any reason. And now we know that Apple really is listening.

To all who are saying that Apple has no business sense, let me remind you that Apple is one of only two computer companies turning a profit right now. They know exactly what they are doing, it's just a different plan than you wish they had. Besides, if Apple was worried about making their computers cheap, they would have to sacrifice most of makes them cool, and give up all advantages over the competition. Don't flame them, they're keeping you coming back and they're keeping me coming back and that's what keeps them alive.

10. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    I totally agree. Just 'cuz Apple isn't dominatin' like Dell doesn't mean they have no business sense. Broadly speaking there are two and only two business strategies one can take for a product: compete on price or compete on features. The companies competing on price are usually mass-market, the companies competing on features are usually niche. Some very, very powerful companies (Intel) can compete on both.

Since Apple has no chance of competing on price, they are taking the correct approach (IMHO) and competing on innovation and niche markets. Keep in mind that in the long run (say 10 years from now), Dell will be in full retreat against Chinese companies, whereas Apple will still be small (relatively) and profitable. Competing on innovation is almost always a longer-lived strategy than competing on price.

So you see Apple's difficulties in the general education market: it's not a typical niche market (like video production, graphic design, etc.) because it's a very price-sensitive market. Apple is trying to hang in there with sub-$1000 iBooks, but how can that compete against sub-$500 desktop PCs? Here, Apple is actually competing on features by emphasizing ruggedness, portability, wireless capability, etc., but they still have a tough row to hoe.

I see Apple firmly entrenched in the Digital Media pro and prosumer markets, but I don't see Apple in the education market at all except in A/V type classes (like the example this forum is based on)