Some people really shouldn't buy Apple stuff

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by alexprice, Dec 24, 2005.

1. alexprice macrumors 6502a

I work at an Apple Auth Reseller in the UK, we had a customer bring back an iSight camera that he had bought from us which he claimed, didn't work.

Upon inspection of the camera, we noticed the the customer had managed to plug the firewire cable into the camera the wrong way round. We spent quite a while trying to remove the cable and insert it in the correct way, once we had done that, the camera refused to work.

The thing that got me, is that the guy must of decided that it didn't go in, so he would push it as hard as he could untill it sat in place.

I'm soooooo shocked. How can people abuse such perfect hardware??? Is this common?

Alex

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

haha. no its more like people should pay attention. :cool:

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Never underestimate the power, determination and obliviousness of idiots. :cool:

4. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

It really upsets me to see some brand new and abused Apple hardware. Its wrong. There should be a law against it or something.

Alex Price

5. generik macrumors 601

generik

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

But the whole "what is appropriate insertion force" issue is a problem for DiY hardware... compare what is considered normal and okay for different things. I'm always afraid of breaking something with the kind of force you need to insert memory modules or PCI cards... But I might come to expect that as normal. :(

It is kind of odd that this is the second thread here in a week about killing FW hardware by plugging the plug in backwards. :(

7. alexprice thread starter macrumors 6502a

The guy ended up buying a new camera, that camera that he broke was brand new!!!!!

Oh god, I need to lie down and calm down a little.... Phew!!!!

8. Seasought macrumors 65816

Seasought

"Sir, you have been reported to Apple Protection Services."

"Great, so they'll pick up the tab for the broken iSight or replace it, right?"

"No sir...I'm afraid you'll be going away for a long, long time."

<thugs in black turtlenecks grab the man by both arms and pull him into a pristine white, unmarked SUV>

:D

9. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Steve Jobs a thug? No way.

10. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Steve Jobs stole my lunch money.
    Heck yea, he's a thug.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Face it...Steve Jobs didn't steal your lunch money. You've just come to the point where you would rather have new Apple products than eat. It's a natural point in the progression. ;)

12. maya macrumors 68040

maya

I know the FireWire interface uses a D plug, how does someone not figure to put it in the right way is beyond me.

Is it just me, or my observation of mankind seems to getting ever so gloomy with every passing day. :p

13. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Unless he is using subliminal message during his Keynotes and Special Events when he airs those iTunes commercials. :eek: ;) :p :D

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Oh.. that's why I keep losing weight.

I've got it! I market The Apple Diet(tm) and I'll make enough money to keep up my Apple habit AND eat!

..or just get a quad, whatever. :D

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think this is the best solution...you know what they say... starve a cold, feed an addiction? :eek: ;) :D

16. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Considering your market is mainly the States and Canada, you should be rich. :eek: ;) :p :D

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

When I tried inserting the ROM into my beige G3, I thought something was wrong, because the logic board was flexing quite a bit. I thought it might break! :eek:

18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Maybe I should expand to britain? :D

Oh, and Uhh..
    Firewire plugged in the right way, don't destroy iSights, etc.
    ^ Look ma, I'm on topic?

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

He sounds like one of those people who puts together a puzzle by pounding and squishing the pieces together and then wonders why the "picture" in the puzzle doesn't look like the picture on the box.

20. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

You'd be surprised at how easy it is. Apple does a good job of providing a strong D plug, however other vendors such as Creative ship their sound cards with a weak D plug that without force or flexing the metal, you can easily plug a firewire device into it incorrectly.

21. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

There's always one kid that uses the Big Orange Hammer to pound things into the holes, i.e. the circle, square, triangle....must.. make.. it.. fit.. or.. just.. hit.. harder......if one would just hit their head everything would then fit :p

22. maya macrumors 68040

maya

ROTFLMAO........the "Neanderthal mentality." ;) :)

23. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

You know, you'd think that he'd at least try to turn it around or something when it didn't fit. It's not to hard to do that. If I can't get something to plug in, I assume I'm doing it wrong and try a different way. I guess some people just don't have that brain process installed..

24. Linam macrumors regular

How can some one put something into this incorrectly it is just like those toys children have where they have to put blocks in the correct holes. Seriously

[​IMG]

25. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Well, slightly in this guys defence I plugged a firewire cable in backwards to my old G4 tower. Granted I was doing it blind while reaching around the back and the metal surrond was split and separated on the D end so it went in with very little force.

But if it took as much force to get it out as you said that is stupid, and on an iSight you can see what you are doing easily.