Some posters to be critiqued...

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Nov 2, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    Hey, these are some betas for my senior show coming up... They are going to be 16.5" x 23". Just an FYI.

Be honest, be harsh.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Better way to show it (and users can click to see images without being forced to load them just to view this thread):

Edit: never mind - when I started the reply, your post had HTML-style links....

Further edit: I particularly like the Urban Organics one. Nice!
  3. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
  4. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Good stuff - it shows quite a range of styles and doesn't focus on one particular area.

I like the Urban Organics one the best since the poster really captures the essence of a "green" urban area. Plus the overlay of the "an" in each word is a nice touch.

The cityscapes one is probably my least favorite - while the palette and content call to mind traditional city references (overpass, pigeons, etc.), I think it provides too much of a "dirty" feeling. Perhaps that's what they're looking for, but the feeling isn't positive to me.

I think in the rest you do a good job of working with the images and text to reference the content/activity quite well.
  5. iAlan macrumors 65816

Dec 11, 2002
    Urban Organics has my vote as well, good work all round!
  6. mcadam macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2004
    They are beautiful, very stylish... I think my favorite is "motion" - quite sophisticated w the blurred background - in motion. I like that.

I guess this wasn't so helpful, sorry I couldn't be more harsh...

edit: actually, looking over them again... I'm not too happy w "tall grass". I think it's too "clean", especially compared to the rest (and in contrast to emw, I really like some dirt :D).
  7. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Jun 9, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Wow! Those are amazing, every single one of them. I too submit my vote for urban organics. Not to get too off topic, but how exactly did you make those?
  8. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    they are all very very good but the urban organics is by far the best.

one point of criticism, you have done too many with slopy writing. maybe it is just that i am seeing them all side by side and not in the cintext that they are intended but it is kind of repetitive. other than that though, very good.

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    In urban organics -- the over all layout is incredible in my opinion the union of elements and use of negative space is very effective with the delicate use of the simplified flower elements --- however i'm not quite sure how effective you are with the use of the spilling milk? i think it would seem more unified without it

City Scapes -- i'm not crazy about the typeface - BUT i don't hate it and i think it gives it that modern feel -- overall i love the layout, the chaos in the design is very effective.

It Happened -- i like the design, but i have difficulty with what you are trying to communicate -- it seems TOO conceptual if those are supposed to be canvases.

Tall grass -- something is off, treatment of typeface i think -- seems like your proportion is off, the text seems to big, causing everything to feel off balance -- and i don't know if i like the pictures in the background -- i almost feel like you would be better off with a macro shot of a blade of grass, or keeping it conceptual with just that that polygon because it is very, very effective use of line in it self.

In motion -- The type face -- i hate it, i think it is to pretentious -- i think a nice cronos, would look better -- even bank gothic (if it wasn't so over used already) would look much better, and cleaner. Also that M on the left side makes the design feel cluttered, the asymmetry works well in this design if you loose it -- other wise, the diagonal lines are very effective in making it feel dynamic.

Focusing -- i think this is my favorite -- i love the receding lines -- very conceptual treatment of the idea of focusing particularly with the high contrast male figure-- lots of negative space keeps everything nice and clean --- the serif font makes it feel very classic -- i love it -- change nothing.

obviously these are all my own personal design opinions, obviously as the designer/artists you have the final say and you can tell me to go run up a tree -- overall i think you are effectively communicating which is the main point -- those are just things i would change ... peace --- and let me know what you think of what i said/suggested
  10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I like the urban organics especially too, and also the last one. Very nice! :)

You may want to have someone pore over the grammar though, to echo the previous reply. A lot of it is okay, since it sounds colloquiual, but there are places where it comes off rather funny sounding. Like "reception" instead of "the reception" in the maroon one. In the tall grass one, "An exhibition featuring the work of..." might sound more natural. In the it happened one, I like the it happened theme, you might just change the text slightly, such as: the exhibition happened. works from artists all over the Washington area code came together to make it happen. Doors open at seven pm and stay open until it doesn't happen anymore. Or something like that.

But I like the basic ideas a lot, and the style is very nice on all of them. They'll look *great* on mattes. :)
  11. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004

Thanks peeps.

I am taking these ideas into account, or I would not have posted them here. I get honesty for the most part when I am at MacR.

I mainly use Photoshop and Illustrator. I use a lot of layering and dissecting of photos. I bring it all into Illustrator and start to add text and then see what works.

These will be mounted on thick foam-core. The senior show is very exciting everyone wants "best of show".

Edit: Keep in mind that the reso. on these is smaller than what they will be. The content, is all made up in my head and yes I am getting advice on proper content.
  12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

Jan 15, 2003
    51st State of America
    I think they are very good, I'm doing Graphic Design myself.

I have one comment to make and it is about the last one but it can apply to the other designs.

Do you know about the "Golden Ratio" (or called Golden Rule in some circles)?

I don't know whether you have done it on purpose for effect but the image and the text are not off centre. I'm putting it in real simplistic terms because its late for me and i'm not going to great lengths to explain the Golden Ratio.

Since you have the image dead centre in the poster, it isn't conforming to the Rule, if however the image was placed a little further down, say at around 2 thirds the length of the poster, it would be conforming to the ratio.

Conforming to the ratio can have a pleasing effect on any work you produce because human perception is suseptible to the ratio or rule. Having it off centre actually breaks the rule but like I said, you might know all about this anyway and done it for effect.

Google search for "Golden rule" or "Golden Ratio" to know more or PM me and I'll help you with it.

Btw, this rule isn't some abstract thing which is hardly ever used in life, its all around us, in nearly all forms of art and in simple things like traffic lights and cutlery. The human body is even made up of these ratios, its the reason why when you draw somebody, all the proportions must stay the same. :)
  13. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
  14. sebisworld macrumors 6502

Jun 24, 2003
    Mmpf. I read "posters to be critiqued", as in people who post here...

But I really think these posters look very unique & professional.