Some PSP Questions?

Discussion in 'Games' started by rdweaver, Sep 4, 2005.

1. rdweaver macrumors member

I'm considering buying a PSP but I have a few questions that need answered before I do.

1. How easy is it to transfer a movie from dvd to PSP?
    2. What software would I need to do this?
    3. How many full length films can I store on a 1gb card?
    4. What is the quality like?
    5. What sort of battery life can I expect if using the PSP to watch a movie?
    6. Is the PSP region coded? i.e can I purchase games from anywhere?
    7. Please explain the different versions of firmware.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I'll let someone else answer the rest, but for #7:
    The 2.0 version adds a web browser, and disables all homebrew and emulators. That's the primary differences.

3. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

1. It is very easy, I use PSPWare and a compresser to compress the movie to fir onto a 1GB memorystick card.
    2. I use PSPWare and it works great. Link
    3. Not a lot. I would just buy the movie on the UMD format.
    4. It is great quality. It holds up well and looks great.
    5. I went on a flight and played a game and watched a movie, and still had a full battery life left. But others will say it would last for one full movie.
    6. I don't know about that, but I think you can play games and movies from anywhere.
    7. The new version (2.0) has a build in web browser so you can connect to a wireless network and surf the internet.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

oo i have a question too;

Can you share games via the wireless for multiplayers? like what the GBA and DS does?

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

some games, like i believe untold legends does, but i tried it last week with tony hawk 2 and it didn't work :rolleyes:
    but i certainly love version 2.0 firmware, even if it does cripple emulators and such.

6. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Burnout Legends will be able to be shared over wireless.
    Movies are region coded, but you can play games from anywhere.

7. rdweaver thread starter macrumors member

Thanks IPAQMM, anyone else want to give me their answers/opinions on my original questions?

8. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

1. Not sure, I don't do it, it is illegal, technically
    2. Not sure
    3. Depends on the quality, at most 2
    4. it is okay, but, for high quality, you will only fit one movie on the 1 gig
    5. On a UMD, only like 4 to 5 hours, from the memory stick, depends on screen brightness, and headphones, but maybe 6
    6. All games from everywhere work, but movies are region coded (sorry, I already posted this)
    7. I updated to 2.0, the browser is a novelty though, it wears off pretty fast

9. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

1-2) No idea
    3) Don't expect more than 1, maybe 2 (depending on length). Of course, you could just compress it more, but expect worse quality
    4) Depends on compression
    5) Not much. I don't understand wassis name being able to go on a multi-hour flight and not lose any battery. In fact, that makes f*ckall sense, so ignore him
    6) Yes. It's region coded (stupid Sony, becoming the M$ of the console world)
    7) 2 cripples emus, but it has an inbuilt webbrowser

10. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

i played wipeout pure for more than 3 hours, and had 62% battery left when i stopped, so battery is good. PSPware is grate after you register it. And as for the region coding, im not sure how it works, I baught my UK PSP on release day (1st sept 05) and it has a region 2 symbol on the box, baught wipeoat pure (region 2 on box) and plays, as expected, baught "Death Jr" then realised after playing it for about an hour that there was a region 1 symbol on the back of the box, so atleast UK PSPs with sys version 2.0 can play region 2 games. ,dont know about UMD movies though, not tried that one yet.

11. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

ah cheers for the answer. just cuz i thought that DS multiplayers send across small chunks of the game, just the needed parts from a cart. whereas the PSP uses the more roomier UMD. i mean it takes long enough sending Bomberman DS across to just 1 other person!
    single cart sharing is important for me. i like that the PSP has it too.

12. Poff macrumors 65816

Poff

True. I mean, how big are the chances that two individuals have the same game? I never got to link anything but Tetris on my old gameboy, since noone ever had any of the same games I had.. :mad:

13. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

It's semi-coded. According to Sony, region coding is up to the publisher, so expect to start seeing EA games with "US only" on them

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The difference is that the DS has 4 MB of RAM while the PSP is 32 MB of RAM; the chunks sent to the system have to fit in the RAM because there is nothing to save them onto. So as a result the PSP ones should be...8 times bigger. Load times...ow.

I didn't know PSP had single cart sharing, interesting, thanks.

15. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I don't have too much to add, just going to second ipacmm's PSPWare recomendation above. It just seems to work :)

16. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Got a Jap PSP with a local copy of Dead to rights and a US copy of ridge racer, both work. AFAIK, all games will work with any PSP but the movies are region specific.

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

but couldn't the Memory Stick thingy be used to store bigger games? y'know, just incase the RAM wasn't enough.
    so much potential there. for piracy as well as multiplaying though :D

18. rdweaver thread starter macrumors member

Anyone tried Toast 7 yet. I understand you can use it to convert movies to the psp using the H.264 codec?

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Really? I have converted to MPG4 using PSPWare and that works but I'm not sure that a PSP has enough power to play back H.264. If it does then that would be great!

20. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Read their tech release. It has the ability to go region coded on everything, but it's left to the discretion of the publisher.

I've got 36MB in my DS :D

21. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

i just got toast 7 and noticed there's a compression thingy that you can use to put pretty much anything, from video to photos, on the PSP with minimum hastle.

nice.

although i still don't want a PSP. too 'spensive.

22. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

This thing would be amazing if you could write movies and mp3s in the UMD discs.

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

hah how'd you do that? is there any difference when playing too?

24. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Fair point, but considering pretty much every handheld console with removable media, since the original gameboy, has had region free games and DVD movies are region encoded, it would makes sense that they stick to these precedents. The barriers it would put up for games would be unnecessary IMO.

They could probably make anything region coded if they wanted, the point is, region-free games and regioned UMD's is the situation at the moment.

25. Jopling macrumors 6502

A movie encoded in i THINK medium quality h.264 that is 115 minutes should
    264.4999999mb at least thats how I figure it. I have a 12 minute video that is 27.6 mb. Version 2.0 definitely supports h.264, I don't know about the older firmware versions.