Some questions about back up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nukiduz, Apr 3, 2007.

1. nukiduz macrumors 6502

nukiduz

Hi there. I'm going to do a fresh install of OS X and right now i'm saving my files in a usb hd drive. Here some questions for you to help me do it right:

1. i'm saving my itunes library and i'd like to keep it in the second hd. when i install os x, is it enough to go to preferences, advanced, and tell itunes that i have my library on the new drive? will the app (installed in drive 1) understand that i want to keep my songs in drive 2?
    2. iphoto. i did the same for my pics and want to keep them in drive 2 as well. however, there is only a 'copy files to iphoto library folder' option and i don't know if that iphoto library folder HAS to be the one that the app creates (and so the pics will be in the same drive as the app (1), and i want them to be in 2).

i had more questions a min ago but now i can't remember them... please any help is welcome. thanks ;)

2. osirisX macrumors regular

For iTunes, you can hold option while starting up iTunes and it will ask you where your library is. Just point it to the library on the second HD and it will use that as it's new library. I'm not sure about iPhoto though.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

iTunes will have no problems with your setup. iPhoto, on the other hand, insists on having your library in your user folder. It's possible to redirect this to an external drive by setting up a symbolic link - type the following in the Terminal, replacing (External) with the name of your external USB drive (assuming the name has no spaces in it - if it does you'll need to escape the spaces with backslashes). Also make sure an iPhoto directory exists at the root of your external drive, if you're going to use this command as is:

Code:
    ln -s /Volumes/(External)/iPhoto ~/Pictures/iPhoto

4. nukiduz thread starter macrumors 6502

nukiduz

thanks both of you. your answers really helped me out. now i'm enjoying my fresh install... aahh like wind in my face :p