Some questions about Half-Life 2 on a Mac..

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mode, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mode macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Hey everyone,
    First off, I just want to say that I'm excited about Boot Camp. Being able to run Windows XP and Mac OSX simultaneously on my machine is a dream, for all of the graphics and media editing options that the Mac OS presents and for the vast Windows games support.

Reading up exactly on how powerful these new Intel Mac machines have actually been running under Windows, I'm also excited that I'll be able to ditch my mid-range PC to play my Steam games on a new Mac.

If it were my first choice, I would definately save up to go for the MacBook Pro. A gig of RAM or so, the 256MB X1800 GPU and a dual-core 2.0GHz processor should definately do it. However, I've heard from some people that Half-Life 2 and other Source titles don't perform quite up to the standards of the desktop models (Why not..?). I hear though that people have been getting some amazing framerates on their iMacs.

So, here's my request before deciding on my purchase between a MacBook Pro (portability ftw) and an iMac. I kindly ask that anybody here in this forum -- and I'm positive there are more than a few -- who owns a copy of Half-Life 2 on either their MacBook Pro or iMac, to please do this for me.

1) Turn up your resolution and all of your video settings in Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source to the max, except leave antialiasing and anisotropic filtering on 2x each. **

2) Run the Counter-Strike: Source video benchmark test under these mac settings and report in this thread the average frames per second that you recieved.

3) Load up Half-Life 2, open the console and type in cl_showfps 1 to turn on the FPS readout, and report in this thread also the rough average of frames per second you get there. Please be honest!

I'm looking for owners of both desktop iMacs and MacBook Pro's to report their results here, please! If you have either, please do this for me, and also include in your post the system specs of your machine.

Thanks alot, guys!

** If you want to, crank AA and AF all the way up, too. Those are just the settings I generally am used to playing with on my less-than-average PC.
  2. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    I'm doing this in the hopes that if I get enough positive responses about the performance of Half-Life 2 on the MacBook Pro, I'll just get that for the portability factor, as well as the comfort of knowing that my games will run just as well as on the iMacs.
  3. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    You are aware that the MacBook Pros have an X1600 GPU, correct?

Also, the GPU is greatly underclocked, at least in the Intel iMacs. The clock speeds according to ATI are 470/470. My iMac as reported by ATItool in Windows was clocked at 300/300. I bumped it to 470/470 and my Half-Life 2 scores doubled. I am now running it at 470/500.
  4. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Shoot, that was a typo. I meant X1600, you're right.

Because of the drain on the battery and the extra heat exherted from the machine, I'd be very weary of attempting to overclock the GPU on a MacBook if I bought one, but I feel a bit better doing it with an iMac.

What were your performance results in Half-Life 2 before, and what are they at now? Also, have you experienced any ill effects at all yet as a result of overclocking the card?
  5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Besides, it voids your warranty.
  6. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Feb 24, 2005
    Overclocking your video card via software DOES NOT void your Apple warranty. If you flashed the hardware then that procedure WILL void the warranty.

Just for the record. Your not actually overclocking the card, your just returning it to the original values recommended by ATI. Remember the cards are UNDERclocked by Apple.
  7. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Thanks, thats good to know.

But I still haven't gotten any results of what I'm looking for. Will anyone help me out here?
  8. Iranian macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2006
    I have the EXACT same query. Common guys :)
  9. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

Mar 29, 2006
    You may not be getting any replies because everyone is busy playing HL2 :)
  10. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Fine, don't even bother altering the AA and AF. Crank them up all the way if you want to or use them as you do, but I just wanna see some performance results before I make a decision.
  11. Gordy macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2005
    Bristol, UK

Whoever was saying that there was problems running hl2 based games is talking out of their ass, it runs fine.

83fps at native res with settings all up apart from AA and AF on from memory in the stress test.
  12. maverick808 macrumors 65816

Jun 30, 2004
    If the LCD is only capable of 60Hz what's the point of FPS above 60?
  13. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    a fps above 60 will give you safer insurance that when something very intensive happens, it's still fun and playable. example, this guy starts playing doom 3, the intro before the action, and it's around 60 fps. then the monsters came, and it's down to 40 fps.

also, it means that you can do other stuff while gaming like encoding mp3, and a faster fps gives you the feeling that you can still buy and play newer games without any problems yet.
  14. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2006
    True dat son.
  15. Gordy macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2005
    Bristol, UK

That just the figure it runs out with the settings I was using, its nicely above the 60fps threshold :)
  16. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Wow, and you got those results on the 1.5Ghz model? That's amazing, I wonder what 2Ghz would bring!

I was honestly expecting Source games to run around 40fps with all maxed-out settings on the MacBook Pro, but I feel alot better about purchasing one now. 83fps average is MORE than more than playable.

Which settings were you running BF2 on? I know that game can be a pretty big resource hog with its visuals.

Edit: Probably a stupid question, but is there a way to shut off the tracking pad on the MBP so I don't have to worry about running my hand across it while using a mouse?

Edit 2: Is your card a 128MB or a 256MB, and have you altered the clock settings at all?
  17. mode thread starter macrumors member

Apr 25, 2006
    Oh, also Gordy, do you think it would it be too much trouble if you could record a short video from Half-Life 2 walking around the outdoors city square area in the beginning of the game (right after you open those train station doors)? That scene is known to be a framerate killer, and I'm curious to see how it stands up under those same settings on the machine. If it can take that, it can surely tackle anything else. That is, I'm only asking under the assumption that you got CS:S for free with Half-Life 2, unless you purchased it seperately.

Your site was a big help, as well. Thank you very much for linking me to it, and I apologize for bombarding you with questions. I don't have any more, I promise!
  18. Gordy macrumors 6502a

May 22, 2005
    Bristol, UK

As it says on the page I've the 2gb version with 2gb of ram and the 256mb vram

I ran bf2 on medium settings and it was fine, I could have run it on high as its not much different to medium.

I've uninstall hl2 now as I had to make room for some other stuff.

Dont know about the trackpad can't say it was an issue tho.