Some questions before buying an iPod mini

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dferigmu, Apr 29, 2005.

1. dferigmu macrumors 6502

After thinking long and hard, I have decided to buy a 6GB iPod mini instead of a 30GB iPod photo. I recently changed my mind because this would be my first iPod and I only have about 4.2GB of music and I won't even listen to 1/2 of that most of the time. I also love the mini's size. I think the photo would be overkill right now. Then I'll buy an updated iPod in a year or two when my library has grown and they update iPods.

My questions are:

1. It seems like most people don't have cases for the mini, but I think I want something, at least to protect the screen. I would want a case that doesn't make the mini much bigger, something that's pretty much see-through and doesn't get dirty quickly. Does anyone have experience with the Agent 18 MiniShield, the Agent 18 mini Shock, or the Contour iSee-mini?

2. Also, are there any must-have accessories for the iPod mini? Is a firewire cable worth it for only 4-6GB worth of music? I also plan on buying an AC adapter. If traveling abroad, do I need an AC adapter AND a World Travel Adapter Kit to charge it without a Mac?

3. Is Applecare worth it for the mini? I'll probably upgrade it in 1-2 years. Does the mini's battery get much worse after 1 year?

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

If you're just in to protecting your screen, you could try one of those Palm/Pocket PC screen protectors. It's actually nothing more than a clear plastic sticker. It has served served me well on my palm (allthough i do use the slipcase that was delivered with it as well).

3. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

I REALLY like my iPod Photo, but the Mini's a close second and it sounds like you're making the right choice.

Responses:

* Screen protection: I recommend a stick-on film even if you ALSO use a case. Cheapest I found were made for digital camera screens, and found at Radio Shack. A couple bucks for 5 big sheets to cut to size.

* I highly recommend RadTech PodSleevz for a sleeve. Top and bottom aren't covered, but the metal AND the wheel are. Yet you can use the wheel right through it: there's a thinner circle of material there. The stuff looks and feels like suede, and never gets dirty!

* I don't think FW is worth it. You'll do one big transfer, but after that, mainly small ones.

* I really like my iTrip FM broadcaster. FM is not top quality, but it's cable-free and universal. But there will soon be one that lets you adjust channels more easily--and a competitor (AirPlay maybe?) already does that well.

* New headphones. Like these that sound great and fold up small:
    http://www.ipodgear.com/accessories/detail/51

* I wouldn't get AppleCare. iPods have battery life to spare these days. Your call, though.

4. evil macrumors 6502

i wouldnt worry about the apple care or the fire wire for it.
    ive had 2 ipods with no apple care and both are over 2 years old now.

5. altair macrumors regular

I have a mini, its almost a year old now, and used to have one of those iSkin case things, but it got dirty and nasty, and i got rid of it quickly. I havent had anything covering it for 9 months and have yet to scratch it, on the screen or case.

It only lives in my pocket or on my flexdock in my car.

I guess my suggestion is to just buy it bare bones to start, and add things as you decide you *need* them.

Also my battery is just starting to suffer, but its most likely because i have it constantly charging on the flexdock in the car.

6. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info! Just a question about what you said here; the main reason I would buy a case is to protect the mini in-case I drop it. It seems like the RadTech PodSleevz is made up of soft material.

Also, why would you suggest screen protection in addition to the case? Isn't that overkill?

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Regarding the FW cable, I think depending on what kind of ports you have on your computer, it might be a wise investment. It's only $20 for the FW cable. If you have USB 2 ports, then don't bother with the FW cable.

The AC adapter is a good accessory. Make sure you get the $30 USB AC Adaptor. I wouldn't bother with the World Kit. Just get the right plug adapters for the countries that you're going to visit. $3/adapter is a good price.

8. dferigmu thread starter macrumors 6502

Where can I get seperate adapters?

9. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You can get them at any travel type store. Places where they sell suitcases and stuff. If you're at an airport, there will be a store that sells adapters, although it might be pricier there.

Of course, you could look online as well.