Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I'm surprised!

My iPad 2 does that too...

My iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) doesn't do that. And both were my first Retina IPS displays. Even though the iPad 2 isn't Retina, it is still an IPS display.

I assume this is still rare though. (because this is the first I've heard of it and mobile IPS displays have been in use for a while now). I'm just glad to finally see IPS in a MacBook Pro!

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
A little off topic, but I think the most disappointing part about this new Mac is the lack of a CD drive. I would be willing to take my chances with the new retina display, but I really don't want a notebook without a disc drive. It's stupid. I thought that was what the Air was for...

Ya, it's dumb. Any idea when Apple's releasing the thunderbolt 8-track player accessory?

heisetax

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2004
Omaha, NE
You're aware that physical media is pretty much dead and none of the new Macs (including Mac Pro) will come standard with an optical drive within a couple years?

For one thing you're assuming that Apple will keep carrying the Mac Pro. They already have missed this upgrade cycle. What makes you think that they will actually relent & develop a new Mac Pro?

I was ready to replace my 1st gen Mac Pro with 2 optical drives in it with a new one. My optical drives are used at least a half a doze times a week. Unlike you I purchase all of my music & movies on CDs & DVDs. In the last month or so I've added at least 20 movies & 20 music cds. My 47" screen is connected to my Mac Pro along with 3 30" displays & a 28" unit. I prefer to watch the movies through my Mac Pro's DVD unit. Then I have the choice of which screen I want to use. My Mac Pro is a much better all in one than my laptop is. And my laptop does a much better job than these new laptops are doing. Many of us do not want to add an optical drive to those many items we now have to carry.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
A little off topic, but I think the most disappointing part about this new Mac is the lack of a CD drive. I would be willing to take my chances with the new retina display, but I really don't want a notebook without a disc drive. It's stupid. I thought that was what the Air was for...

They still sell the older Macbook Pros if you really want it. :rolleyes:

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It is a shame this is happening.

It is strange, Screen issues seem to always be Apple's weak point. I don't know why this is. You would think after year of screen issues on earlier Apple products, and the fact that it's the screen that is, by it's very nature, in your face, they would do everything they can do to make sure future products do not suffer any noticeable flaws.

And yet, screen problems are almost guaranteed now on a new product.
It's a shame.
Every manufacturer has display problems from on small percentage of units. It is just something that gets no media attention on cheap POS computers. Apple with its design elegance, high prices and heavy media attention just gets knit picked.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
The retina Macbook Pro is completely overrated in my opinion. How many times has Jonny Ive gotten in front of the camera to say how "it's the most remarkable thing they've ever designed?" Every keynote for the past 10 years, that's how many times. After a while it gets old and meaningless.

Anyways, the rMBP is way too heavy, way too expensive, doesn't even have a kensington lock slot, and now it's ghosting? It's hard to imagine people are buying this thing.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
Saw one at the Apple Store yesterday. Love the form factor and thinner screen, but wasn't WOWED by the retina display.

Now, where are those Mac Pro updates???

----------

The retina Macbook Pro is completely overrated in my opinion. How many times has Jonny Ive gotten in front of the camera to say how "it's the most remarkable thing they've ever designed?" Every keynote for the past 10 years, that's how many times. After a while it gets old and meaningless.

Anyways, the rMBP is way too heavy, way too expensive, doesn't even have a kensington lock slot, and now it's ghosting? It's hard to imagine people are buying this thing.

Totally agree about Ive. When Ambien can't sleep, it takes him.

AlanFord

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2011
Cro
Thats why I never buy new things when they just release. And dont have intentions to buy, cause even in technical point of view new rMBP is great, it still have some flaw. In technical point, much more testing needs to be done, components are integrated almost as one unit, not changeable, and in software perspective there are still no much apps supporting such display.
Okey, the point: These are things Apple cant afford in point of reliability and image. Its a very pricey machine.
They must take care much more on quality control.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
well let's see how many tech sites pick up on this (and they will with it being front page news on apple blog/rumor sites) and turn it into screen gate. And all the fandroid and M$ posters will chime in with how the rMBP is overrated, too expensive, can't be upgraded, missing feature x, y, z, etc. :rolleyes:

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Well. Looks like the first generation curse still exists.

I'm beginning to think that Apple has all but abandoned their once exemplary testing and quality control procedures.

Recently I received not one, or two, but three heavily scratched new BTO MBP's right out of their sealed boxes.

It's a very poor reflection on Apple. The scratches were well over 30mm long each, there were six, all of which where about 6mm deep.

When the genius looked at it, (I wanted Apple to confirm these before I shipped it back as directed) he was visibly shocked. Trained to keep their composure, and act like it's the first time they've ever seen problems, he struggled not to gasp.

Anyway, it's certainly not a confidence inspiring experience. It makes one wonder just what the heck is going on at Apple.

When they ignore things like this, while placing the computer in it's plastic bag, and packing it in the cardboard shipping carton, I swear they must be looking the other way.

Or maybe the person was day dreaming about jumping off the roof at Foxconn :eek:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Not this again! I was plagued with image retention for years with my 24" iMac back in the day. Apple told me, after two LCD replacements, to just live with it in the end.

For a £1k+ machine I think it's disgusting that people should have to put up with displays like this.

Just curious how many people are putting up with displays like this on the rMBP. These days if one person has an issue it's front page news on all the tech sites and eventually turns into [insert name here]-gate. :rolleyes:

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
I would have to say this is a BIG issue for Apple...regardless if it's 10% of the population or 50%...the whole point of this new Pro Retina was, um, the screen. If it's got a manufacturing defect, Apple's gonna have a lot of returns/replacements.

Apple's not going to go out of business of course...or have its reputation permanently damaged...but people plunking down $2000+ for a laptop, especially for a high rez screen, are going to be really unhappy and likely return the item and wait it out for the next release cycle.

This is a hardware issue folks...not going to be fixed with a BIOS patch or some OS update. That means thousands more likely are busted and people are just going to wait until a formal "new release" of the Retina Macs come out.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This hasn't happened to me. I wonder how many machines have been affected and how many many machines are out there.

Indeed. The numbers always come out to smaller groups than it sounds.

All tech has issues when it first comes out. Apple is more than excellent about exchange defective units. I've returned iPads, phones, computers sometimes as long as a month after I got it with no issues from the managers when it was new tech

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
How do you check if your screen is affected?

Have you been wondering what the proper usage is when referring to the state of something? Is it "Affect" or "Effect". The easiest way to clear these often confused words are by knowing their true definition.

Affect (verb) To influence something without causing it to happen.

Effect (noun) Is the result that was accomplished or to directly cause something.

from

http://www.AffectvsEffect.org

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
It's a very poor reflection on Apple. The scratches were well over 30mm long each, there were six, all of which where about 6mm deep.

LOL. Are you sure you know your measurements? 6mm is over half a centimeter, which more like a gouge...or scratch from a big cat. In fact I don't even think the MBP unibody material is 6mm deep. If it was a 6mm scratch you'd see the inside of your computer! LOL. I call BS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.