Some rumors confirmed

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by greg godwin, Jan 2, 2002.

1. greg godwin macrumors member

I have news from an insider at Apple re: MacWorld

- The new release will not be the G5 (this wont appear until 2nd half 2002, and will appear in a new design of PowerMacs)

- The iMac is being upgraded significantly. Flat panel yes, totally new design. SuperDrive will be an option. DVD-R will also be an option. Major difference is a wireless system (wireless LCD monitor). All will be G4's with a 1.0 GHz system topping the line (1.5 GHz later). G3 is being phased out in 2002, with new iBook (G4) and PowerBook (G5) in 2003.

- iCam, in development with Sony. Bluetooth digital camera.

2. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I dont think this is right! The G3 is the only chip apple purchases off IBM, the new "sahara" chip will be used in some product lines! It was announced and will be available up to 1Ghz so I can definatly see apple using this chip.

3. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

From what i've been told, Sahara will only be used for iBook in 2002. It will be the final G3 release, designed for mobile use.

The new iMacs will be using G4's from a new Motorola line. G5 isn't yet ready, but should be seen by the end of the year and should debut with speeds over 1 GHz on the newest Power Mac line.

My source is reasonable, although not top level so the details are a bit sketchy and based around an Apple product timeline that could change.

4. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

Just a correction which was picked up re: my original posting. The Wireless system will relate only to keyboard and mouse and not the LCD monitor. Like the old iMac this new model will be an intergrated system (although will appear different). There is a wireless LCD line on the way soon though.

Also "iMac" will be gone as a name.

5. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Cool. That all sounds very reasonable. I just dont like the camera idea. The new G5's not appearing until next half 2002 seems right on track, and G4's in the iMac sounds like a good move to me. Then, Apple will be in good shape when their low ends will be G4's, and their high ends G5's. Overall though, I think MWSF will be good because of the new iMacs, but the real party will be in New York (or wherever) when the G5's come out.

6. davester macrumors regular

davester

Yep.

Greg, your report is definately credible and ties in with prototypes that a friend of mine saw in Norway earlier this year. Good to see some believable facts coming through

7. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Interesting info, but seems quite conservative in light of all the hype apple is dishing out :)

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I think that's what makes it more believeable.

9. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I dont have any particular information but I think that the new iMac will not use the G4 (especially if the G5 is not ready to ship)! Both the consumer + pro lines would have a much similar speed therefore, no reason really to buy a powermac(apart from display size)!

10. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

Thats Marketing vs. reality however... this new system is very impressive, and will essentially be as big a launch as the iMac if not bigger, and we know the impact that system has had.

11. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Id love to agree with you Falleron, because your logic is right on track. But I fear that if the iMac doesnt move away from the G3 soon, it will just not measure up to anything else out there. (PC or Mac)

Maybe we are really missing something. According to Apple.com, we are WAY behind. They are hyping the **** out of macworld, more than I have EVER seen. Maybe the G5 IS ready, and its just been the best kept secret.

Damn. That would be niiiiiiiice.

Oh, and hey--
    Someone was talking about the 'Kate and Leopold' mention of the G5. My fiancee dragged me to it (actually wasnt THAT bad, Apple was EVERY-freakin-WHERE) and she does mention the G5 and 9.6 in the movie. BUT, it was mentioned as a farse, to try to trick somone. I think it was a writers way of being funny, and wishful thinking, just like all of us would do in a similar situation.

12. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

True - it's just that the LCD iMac has essentially been a "given" for quite some time on the rumor sites. Everyone is already expecting it. It seems strange that that would be the only "major" announcement considering the extraordinary hype...oh well, we shall find out soon enough!

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

iMac's new name

I don't know if I go for the iMac losing it's name...

what's it going to be called?!

14. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

There could be something else really heavily hidden from us... I don't think it concerns hardware per-se, and if it does then its with co-operation from another major company. The Apple/Sony thing with this iCam could be a hint at something bigger prehaps. All I can say is what relates to the new Apple processor/PC line...

the Apple site does hint at something beyond the rumors though, so next monday could be very interesting!

15. OSUbuckeyefan macrumors regular

Greg - is iCam a reference to a still camera or digital video cam?

16. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

Digital still camera. I have no other information on this yet and we might not see it on Monday either... Totally wireless and in conjunction with Sony is all I know

17. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

iCam

Everyone knows that with OSX you need a firewire camera - which can be obtained but aren't really mainstream...

a visit to any Apple Store will prove this: try to find a firewire webcam & you'll come up empty. I tried this past weekend. i had to order one online (which comes with OSX drivers).

this iCam could be a firewire webcam - or perhaps a gigawire webcam? its something i think would be cool - esp in the advent of broadband and video conferencing, etc.

Its a major piece thats missing from OSX usage. This would fill that hole (firewire webcam)

18. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

I think....

I think maybe the new "thing" might be video-conferencing, in which you use an Apple branded camera. Also an iMac, maybe a new digital device, and possibly a G5. But then again, who knows? But I am hoping and praying for a G5. Let's see.

19. samy85114 macrumors regular

well, if G5 won't be release... this keynote looks to me not such big as they say! Did you think about that, the one from apple that you spoke with... he probably received the order to lie about what he'S gonna reveal... that could be possible isn't it.

20. greg godwin thread starter macrumors member

I know this is not the case, however my source works on only one line of development for the company. It is quite possible that Apple are announcing something else quite large. What I have released is based on upcoming systems and processor bases.

I know G5 isn't yet ready for an appearance this half. The architecture on this chip is quite different to the G4 line, thats for sure and there are issues with its operating stability under the current OS.

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Apple's smarter than a lot give credit for...

I don't think Apple would shoot themselves in the feet at this point...not after they are creating their own hype around MacWorld San Francisco...

They may have one of the worst track records in business history, but if they were that irresponsible, they wouldn't be in business still! :p

22. Danny Caccavo macrumors newbie

price on new imac?

Here's hoping that a LCD display for the imac (or whatever) won't jump the price up. That's the LAST thing Apple needs....

23. Mausabiest macrumors newbie

The rumors are piling up but I "think realistic". I don´t konw if we´re gonna see G5s in SF. If half of the rumors posted here would come true, even this would be a success. Even here in the old world Germany we´re really looking forward to Jan. 7th 6pm. I will watch it, allthough the lines will be couded.

Hoping for the best

24. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Interesting, but NOT Bluetooth

This iCam sounds interesting. Though more likely it will either be FireWire, GigaWire, or a scaled down AirPort. It will not be Bluetooth, though, because Bluetooth interferes with just about any wireless transmission except its own and including Airport. Long live the QuickTake!!! Also on a side note, here's an idea: What if Apple is breaking back into ALL the areas it once had and more: Printers, PDAs (though now it would probably be PDA/Cell Phones, PC compatible monitors with only ONE adaptor (as opposed to the three it takes to make an ADC monitor PC compatible), digital cameras, digital video cameras, etc. probably in conjunction with Sony for the video cameras. Last but not least... An Apple-branded MP3/CD player. That's what I think will happen. Wouldn't it be great for Apple if suddenly all the digital lifestyle devices surrounding the iBook picture were made or branded by Apple. I mean the AirPort Base Station and iPod are, but think if everything else was too. Also, I think Apple will move towards 'unwiring' computers and peripherals. Just think "Presenting the new Apple Color Laser Writer 3. FireWire not included" or "Say hello to iCam. Wires not included" Now THAT would be cool.

25. wn3_z macrumors newbie

iCam?

iCam sounds so cheap... like some Barbie doll accessories..