Some Safari questions from a Firefox 'switcher'

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by madmaxmedia, Mar 28, 2007.

1. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

I have been using Firefox for awhile now, mainly for the plug-ins.

But the Google Browser plugin (which I use to synchronize bookmarks across multiple computers) is so unreliable that I've given it up. Which means that I've started using Safari as my primary browser. I give up some other plugins, but they're not that big of a deal (delicious, Copy URL+, TinyURL creator, etc.)

There are a couple of things I don't like about Safari, wondering if there are any hacks or suggestions people had-

1. In Firefox, you can switch tabs by using command-1, 2, 3, etc. to directly select which tab you want. In Safari, it's command-{ and -} to switch tabs, which I think is rather incovenient. There's no other way, is there?

2. In Firefox, command-K puts you in the search box, so you can type in your search without having to use the mouse (I'm a big fan of keyboard shortcuts in general.) There's no such thing in Safari, is there?

I can't even find a drop-down menu command (if there was then I could manually add a keyboard shortcut myself.) Any other solutions?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not without a plug-in.

Cmd-F (Find)

3. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

The Google search shortcut is Cmd + Option + F

As for the tab navigation, the way you described in the way. Cmd + 1,2,3,4 opens the links in your Bookmarks Bar.

4. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Do you know of 1 already? (I assume not, otherwise you'd have posted it ;) )

Thanks to the other poster for cmd-opt-F, that's exactly what I was looking for.

One down!

Thanks,
    Steve

5. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

I did find that command-shift-arrow can also move between tabs.

That's much easier for me than command-{ and }.

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Agreed - this is how I switch tabs in Safari. However, it won't work if you're in a textfield or text area. So, be mindful of that.

...and your other question has been covered. Just a note, though: Cmd+L puts you in the address bar, though. To get to the search I typically Cmd+L then TAB because (for whatever reason) that's faster for me.

7. madmaxmedia thread starter macrumors 68030

Cmd-L, then Tab- Great hint!!!

Since the other poster noted that Opt-Cmd-F brings up search, I looked through the Safari menus more carefully and found the Google search command under Edit -> Find. So that actually allowed me to add Cmd-K as well. (it's normally reserved for toggling pop-ups, but I never need that command anyways.)

Cmd-L and Tab is actually great too. My fingers are just used to Cmd-K by now... ;)