Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
It's nice to know they're shooting movies with the lowest quality crap imaginable. 720p for a MOVIE that will play in theaters? This stuff should be filmed either with actual film or in UltraHD (4320p) so that future generations will have a high quality transfer available to them (we will not stay at 1080p forever, especially for high-end home theater and the actual cinema). It's like looking back now at certain TV shows filmed in NTSC. You cannot make HD transfers from NTSC. You're permanently stuck with garbage whereas and old show like Hogans Heroes or even classic movies like Casablanca are easy to transfer into HD versions since they were made on film. I know some people think 1080p is the best thing since sliced bread, but people are going to look back a couple of decades from now and see 1080p the same way we now see 480p.

While you're technically correct, I'm a little disturbed that you would mention this movie and Casablanca in the same paragraph. :eek:

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cinema quality video from iPhone 4S. Amazing what Apple has accomplished.

Except apparently, they didn't. This was a lot of crowing followed by a lot of silence when it turns out that no, the iPhone is not going to shoot a feature film.

sixthrelease

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

It still could mean they did shot with a iPhone. And edit on a iPad. RIP JOBS

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I find the incredulity in this thread rather repugnant, especially that coming from those who claim to know something about photography. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that being in the moment is often worth more than all the super expensive equipment that you could have.

In this case, if a scene had been setup, is being filmed with the primary equipment, it is quite plausible that someone might pull out a small camera, such as a phone, and if the result turned out well enough, even if it wasn't full resolution, with some post production it could easily be cut in as an alternate angle for a few seconds in the scene.

At no point, even before the misquote was explained, was it suggested the entire movie shot with an iPhone, or anything more than a few short clips.

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
since this was originally posted I knew they had been misquoted or misunderstood what was originally stated

I was assuming the director did some preliminary scenes or shots on an iPhone which were later redone an made it to the final film

thenerdal

macrumors 65816
Oct 14, 2011
I knew they didn't use an iPhone to record a feature film. I knew it. Now can we lock this thread?

something3153

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2011
I find the incredulity in this thread rather repugnant, especially that coming from those who claim to know something about photography. Any photographer worth his/her salt knows that being in the moment is often worth more than all the super expensive equipment that you could have.

In this case, if a scene had been setup, is being filmed with the primary equipment, it is quite plausible that someone might pull out a small camera, such as a phone, and if the result turned out well enough, even if it wasn't full resolution, with some post production it could easily be cut in as an alternate angle for a few seconds in the scene.

At no point, even before the misquote was explained, was it suggested the entire movie shot with an iPhone, or anything more than a few short clips.

It is ridiculous to think that there wouldn't be enough real cameras on the set of a movie like this to get every angle they'd want without using a damn phone. Ridiculous. And I guarantee, no matter what you do with post production, it would stick out like a sore thumb in a theater. It might be good enough for a heavily-compressed 720p feed from iTunes, though, I'll give you that.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
What are you talking about? I've got a CRT TV also. We here have no HD channels etc., only digital signal (about 480i or 480p), that has somehow a DVD quality. The same goes for the cable operators.

So it is not worth to invest into any kind of HD ready or HD screen for the average consumer.

Buying one is only worth in situations, if you want to play HD ready Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 games (most games work in 720p mode) or when you want to look at MKV rips, that you can get on torrents.

I have HD Sky TV and a Blu-Ray Player (which I only have because it was a bargin and the old DVD player broke), but I'm still fine with my CRT because it works and I don't mind the quality. I still enjoy TV perfectly fine with a CRT.

andyone

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
Disregarding noise, resolution and DOF, the iPhone is still useless as a professional camera, because of the shutter. Unless you film a perfectly stationary scene, you will see horrible rolling shutter jello.

Seriously people, get real. It's a freaking phone.

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
So it is not worth to invest into any kind of HD ready or HD screen for the average consumer.

I watch just as many HD movies off my own collection as I do cable here. With a 93" screen, you want a good picture and so I'd still want HD even if I couldn't get it from my cable company, broadcast, etc.

While you're technically correct, I'm a little disturbed that you would mention this movie and Casablanca in the same paragraph. :eek:

I don't even have any interest in this movie what-so-ever. I simply read the thread because of the iPhone connection. Casablanca is simply the first movie that comes to mind when I think of a restored old movie. I'm a huge Bogart fan (have or have watched all his starring and co-starring movies and a huge number of the two-bit part ones as well). Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon were the first HD B&W movies I added to my HD collection.

supercooled

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
Great journalism...

Apple fanaticism isn't just for the average joe anymore! Seriously, a little over zealous reporting is forgivable. Heard they used the T2i/550d in X-Men First Class. The DSLRs are of no shock value anymore especially when you throw in a 5d MKII.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Disregarding noise, resolution and DOF, the iPhone is still useless as a professional camera, because of the shutter. Unless you film a perfectly stationary scene, you will see horrible rolling shutter jello.

But, CMOS (rolling shutter) chips ARE being used to film actual movies. Quite successfully. Ever heard of the RED One? A very nice, impressive movie camera that uses a rolling shutter system (CMOS).

Granted, the scan rate is MUCH faster than an iPhone, but there's still rolling shutter artifacts. Just less objectionable due to the higher scan rate.

xxgilxx

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have the 5dMkII. Great camera for HD video.

ippikiokami

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2010
But, CMOS (rolling shutter) chips ARE being used to film actual movies. Quite successfully. Ever heard of the RED One? A very nice, impressive movie camera that uses a rolling shutter system (CMOS).

Granted, the scan rate is MUCH faster than an iPhone, but there's still rolling shutter artifacts. Just less objectionable due to the higher scan rate.

Isn't that the point? Because of the slower scanning the iphone isn't a tool that a film maker would use.

With good equipment outside of the camera ... etc of course you can take a good picture or film something well without the best. But when you have the budget the best DOES make a difference. Whoever said it doesn't is lying

Last edited:

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Except apparently, they didn't. This was a lot of crowing followed by a lot of silence when it turns out that no, the iPhone is not going to shoot a feature film.

Film shot on iPhone:
http://blogs.wsj.com/korearealtime/2011/01/10/a-novel-way-of-using-iphone-4-film-making/

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Correction. It's a siriously magical phone.

Never mind that several other phones have caught up with or even surpassed much of what an iPhone can do while Apple has been sleeping. The most recent update looks a lot like a catch-up move. Although I'm hoping the next iPhone once again sets a much higher standard so everyone in the market for a smart phone can eventually benefit from renewed pressure on all platforms.

AllieNeko

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
Isn't that the point? Because of the slower scanning the iphone isn't a tool that a film maker would use.

With good equipment outside of the camera ... etc of course you can take a good picture or film something well without the best. But when you have the budget the best DOES make a difference. Whoever said it doesn't is lying

No, the poster I quoted said that rolling shutter could never be used to make a movie. Which is nonsense... There's applications where CCD is much better, but CMOS actually has a much more film like appearance in other ways...

EvilShenaniganZ

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2009

I'd put money on them being the shots of troops and cops running to an event early in the trailer. Those are the kinds of things a bystander would hypothetically capture on that kind of camera.

That would t be lost on the guy who did the 9/11 movie.

Can I have my money now? :cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh good it's not true.

720p upscaled to 1080p would not be cool, and look even worse in the cinema itself.

imahawki

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2011
No, no its not, not even remotely possible. I have friends who have worked decades in the film industry. That's like saying, if a guy pulled onto Daytona during qualifying laps in his Corolla and drove well enough, they'd probably let him race. Its plausible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.