Some Smart Covers Not Working Properly on New iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 22, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

It appears that some iPad Smart Covers aren't working properly with the new iPad, including older Apple Smart Covers. The new iPad has a slight change in how its magnets work. Apple has reversed the polarity of one set of magnets related to the sleep/wake sensor that turns the iPad off when the Smart Cover is closed. As a result, older Smart Covers, that weren't designed with this change in mind, fail to turn the new iPad off when they're closed.

[​IMG]

Mark Booth has more details as to why Apple choose to make the change:
    Booth also notes that Apple is replacing older Apple Smart Covers at Apple Stores for customers who ask. New iPad owners having difficulties with third-party smart cover-compatible cases should contact their case-makers for possible resolutions.

Article Link: Some Smart Covers Not Working Properly on New iPad

2. macrumors 68000

1080p

Bought my smart cover at Radio Shack while waiting for my new iPad to arrive. It works fine. Wonder when Apple made changes to the smart over in anticipation...?

3. macrumors 65816

Caliber26

It's annoying. My Yoobao Leather Smart Cover that I had on my iPad 2 fits perfectly but it no longer turns on/off the screen. I hoping the new ones are released soon.

4. macrumors member

zachkolk

Mine Works

Why do some iPad/SmartCover combinations not work? Aren't they all the same? I have the Product (RED) SmartCover (for a few months now) and it works perfect with my new iPad.

5. macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeahh mine only wakes about %80 of the time when i open it

6. macrumors member

First the thing overheats then it won't charge properly and now smart covers don't work.

This wouldn't be happening under Steve's watch.

7. macrumors 6502

You really think that? Wow.

8. macrumors regular

jabbawok

If your new iPad is doing all that, take it back.

9. macrumors newbie

Coastercub

I got a smart cover when they first went on sale for the iPad 2, works fine on my New iPad and even my housemates non-apple smart cover works too..

Why do some work and some don't ?

10. macrumors 68020

Mine doesn't even get warm unless I crank the backlight, which I never have a need to do, it charges fine and the smart cover from my dad's iPad 2 works fine on it.

11. macrumors 68000

ghsNick

Dang...well I'm going to get a black leather one today.

Is it smart to take my iPad in and see if it works?

I'm assuming if it works it works...in saying that I mean I don't think it will stop working over time?

12. macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted

Same here. My smart cover was purchased last year when the ipad2 first came out and it works perfectly fine with the new iPad.

13. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

I bought a Smart Cover with my new iPad, but I returned it. It woke my iPad just fine. But I assumed the cover would magnetically attach to the back when it was open. Instead it just sort of flopped around, which made the iPad hard for me to hold. The Smart Cover certainly was sleek, but I didn't find it that functional.

14. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

Now solving problems should be blamed on Apple too? :eek:

15. macrumors newbie

2 smart covers....

I have a Product Red smart cover that I bought at the iPad 2 launch which does not work with my new iPad. However, I also have a light grey smart cover that I bought about 4 months ago and it works perfectly. So, I'm assuming Apple made the change sometime during the summer or fall of 2011. I don't use the "smart" function any way so I'm not returning/exchanging the red one or anything like that. I only tested them both a few minutes ago due to this news. I guess I prefer my covers not to be so intelligent ;-)

16. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

17. macrumors member

My friend dropped his iPad 2 and iPad 3 on pavement and guess what? iPad 2 not a damn scratch but the 3 shattered. Take what you will out of it.

18. macrumors 65816

Simplicated

How scientific. And he must have had his most unlucky day ever, dropping two iPads at the same time at the same place :eek:.

19. macrumors 6502

I don't want to jinx myself but I have not had amy problems with my "New iPad".
    It charges fine over night. It gets warm while playing Sky Gamblers.
    The smart cover that I bought with my iPad 2 works fine.

Bring on the next problem.

20. macrumors 65816

I'm sure some idiots will still say Apple is evil for making improvements to prevent third-party magnet covers from functioning correctly.:rolleyes:

21. macrumors regular

I have a grey vinyl one from when the iPad 2 came out that does not work correctly.

I have a black leather one from when Apple changed the colors and that one works correctly.

Maybe the change happened with the release of the cover color changes?

22. macrumors newbie

I dropped my iPad 2 about 6 months ago on my hardwood floor from a standing position, so it probably fell 5 to 5 1/2 feet.... NOT A SINGLE SCRATCH ON IT!!! However, there was a huge gash in the wooden floor! I haven't dropped my new iPad (knock on wood) so I can't compare the durability, but I can say I was extremely surprised and pleased that the iPad 2 came away unscathed from that drop!

23. macrumors regular

Sardonick007

Poo

No worries on mine. Heat not an issue, Charging just fine, and all my smart covers work a charm. Feel bad for others...not.

24. macrumors 6502

I bought a 3rd party smart cover and it does not put to sleep or wake my iPad 3. I originally thought, that I was a sucker and never should have bought a 3rd party cover but now reading this I wonder if this is the reason.

25. macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I have to admit, my reaction was the same. I just assumed it would snap onto the back when you opened it, but no. No huge issue, I didn't return it, but it would be nicer with that detail, IMO.

Also would have been handy if they put magnets along the bottom so you could use the Smart Cover as a stand in portrait mode.