Some Terminal Escape Codes Not Working

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by berhr, Dec 4, 2004.

1. berhr macrumors newbie

Hi all,

This might be a rather esoteric problem, but I'm hoping that somebody here might know what's going on. There's gotta be some other Unix geeks here :)

I don't know how long it's been going on (perhaps since the 12/2/04 Security Update), but I cannot use the forward delete key (actually, Fn-Delete on my laptop) in any command-prompts (Terminal.app, X11 xterm, ssh session). I may be wrong, but I'm sure that I was able to use forward delete just fine in the past. (And it still works if I login with ssh to a Linux box). However, I don't know when forward delete stopped working. Maybe it never did, and I'm imagining all this! :confused:

Terminal.app is set to send ^[[3~ when I press forward-delete, and I have verified that it is indeed sending this sequence. I've also checked the output of infocmp, and kdch1 is set to ^[[3~, so that should be OK. However, after the '3' character is sent, the terminal just beeps. It then displays the '~' character instead of performing a forward-delete. It seems that all terminal escape sequences fail when a digit is part of the sequence, although the loss of forward-delete irritates me the most.

So, if anybody reading this has any idea what might be wrong, I'd be very grateful if you could help me out (or at least tell me that I'm crazy, and forward delete has never worked for any Macs...)

2. EminenceGrise macrumors member

Ctreate a file named ".inputrc" in your home directory and include this line:

"\e[3~": delete-char

That should make it work (it does for me). Reference
    I never noticed it didn't work before, guess I don't use it but it's good to have a fix anyway.