Some things the G5 might have...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Catfish_Man, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

So far I've heard about a number of technologies that might be included with the G5/next major update to the G4, unfortunately most of the rumors have been conflicting. So, what does everyone think the G5 will have? Here's the possibilities I've been able to find in the rumors:

ATA100
    ATA133
    Serial ATA (150)

FireWire2
    USB2

HyperTransport
    RapidIO
    3GIO

DDR266 ram
    DDR333 ram

266MHz bus
    400MHz bus
    500MHz bus

Single Processor
    Dual Processors
    Quad Processors

Dual Core

Clockspeed

(I would have made a poll, except that I would have had to make 5 seperate polls for the different categories)

My current guesses are:
    any of the ATA ones (I hope serial ATA, but I'm not sure)
    FireWire2 and USB2
    RapidIO
    DDR333 ram
    500MHz bus
    Single Processor
    Single Core
    1.25-1.75 GHz

2. Rockridge macrumors newbie

Re: Some things the G5 might have...

Apple will beat all!!!!!!

But does this mean that anyone who buys a mac today is buying yesterdays technology?

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Re: Some things the G5 might have...

Well, the new iMac is a perfect example. By the time it hits the stores as it should be, the G5 would be out already if Apple continue like this.

4. ilikeiBook macrumors regular

ilikeiBook

Clock speed

I'm hoping for 2.4, 2.6, and 2.8 Ghz G5 with a 500 Mhz bus for under $3500!

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Speculations...

I've been looking at stat pages and such for a while, and am more than positive apple will do something much better than what everyone has right now.

If they're going all out for power, as I've seen, G5's should, but not guaranteed to, hit the light at 1.5-2.5ghz. I have no specific idea, but it seems VERY scalable to high speeds.

The G5 is being speculated to use DDR, while QDR (quad data rate) might also be possible, however, I'm not sure if they're going that path, or down the accelerated dram (PC500/500mhz SDRAM), which would run at bus speed.

The hard drive system is unknown, could be ultra160, could be ultra320. Gigabit ethernet is definate, a high powered dvd-r drive is possible, and probably a revised geforce 4.

From what I can see, processor architecture is simple "Your mileage may vary" since the rumors are varied. A dual core would be nice, but still probably out of reach. I am guessing a dual/trio/quad setup available, possibly carded.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

According to old sources, which were expecting the G5 for MWSF in Jan. 2002, the G5 would be like the Velocity Engine in the G4, except the G5 could match 256-bit. Also, according to sources (not my own) the G5 and OS X can support 32 processors and 16G of RAM. Finally, I have heard that the G5 will start out very expensive since once it is announced the price tag of the G4 will drop.

I would like to see the G5 with DDR-RAM and even in Powermacs supporting a DVD-RW drive (my own quiet rumor).