Some Tiger quirks I was wondering if other people were experiencing...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmbfloydian, May 16, 2005.

1. dmbfloydian macrumors member

This was happening before I installed the update that came out today too...

1) iChatAgent = not responding. Open Activity Monitor, and 9/10 times its "Not responding" but, iChat is clearly working because I'm chatting away. Whats up with that? I'm not the only one either, I've conferred with a number of people who have it too.

2) When I restart my Powerbook, for some reason I get a folder in the Trash labelled "Recovered Files." Right now it's some pictures my friend send me via iChat (direct connet), and the Apple Update that I installed earlier (.pkg). It's been happening for a few days. Whats the reason for this?

3) I have 768 MB of RAM in my Ti Powerbook, and sometimes it seems like some things, like Finder, Dock, iChat, etc, are just sucking down RAM like its going out of style. Earlier today I had 8, yes count 'em only 8 MB of RAM "available" out of my 768. What gives?

Thanks for any help!

~Dan

2. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

did you do a clean install?
    I wiped all my data and started Tiger fresh. No quirks...

3. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

The iChat thing happens to me too. Not sure why.

Trash dealio - no idea...

Ram---- could it be that you had just opened dashboard? Or spotlight wasn't done indexing? :confused:

4. dmbfloydian thread starter macrumors member

i did a clean install - erase and install, everything is fresh.

as for the RAM, dashboard is running just fine, but it doesn't take up all the RAM when it boots, it happens over time. like i'll just open up activity monitor and boom, its crazy and all gone.

yeah and as for the recovered files in the trash...wtf mate?

5. modernpixel macrumors member

Possibly stupid question - but have you checked your System Profiler to make sure your Mac is recognizing all of your RAM? I had a bad RAM stick once and didn't realize it for a while, my Mac was running off of much less RAM than I thought.

6. dmbfloydian thread starter macrumors member

yup, that was the first thing i checked after installing the new chip (i got it from a friend from his iBook and wasn't sure if it was compatible, but it recognized it just fine and everything.) shows up as 768.

7. JeDiBoYTJ macrumors 6502a

JeDiBoYTJ

iChat Agent is not responding for me either... I thought that would be fixed with 10.4.1 release

I never noticed any "recovered files" in the trash... but that seems to be a good feature

I have 1GB of RAM in my AluBook. and running iTunes, iChat, Safari, and Mail, I have 346MB left...

8. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I get the recovered files.send mail folder in the trash occasionally. Reminds me of older MacOS. I also found the 10.4.1 software update in the recovered files folder in the trash.

9. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

My RAM is fine, but I get the same thing with iChat not responding, and I just checked my trash and lo & behold file recovery folders are in there... I have no clue...

Yesterday my iMac was dog slow, so I went into Activity Monitor to see what was up, and something called "TruBlueEnvironment" was sucking up all of my CPU... Never seen that before... A restart seemed to get rid of it though.. Any thoughts on what that could be ?

10. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

I have the trash thing to, and I did a clean install. Before Tiger, the last time I had that "Recovered Files" folder in the trash I was running OS 9 :eek: .

11. dr0wnoutthen0is macrumors newbie

I did a clean install of Tiger on a 15" Alubook and I am also getting the iChat "Not Responding" thing in Activity Monitor and the Recovered Files in the Trash. I filed a bug on Apple's developer site on the iChat issue though.

12. dmbfloydian thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys.
    glad to see I'm not the only one with some quirks.

i wonder what the deal is with the recovered files in the trash? thats so odd. never happened on jaguar or panther.

the ichat agent thing is what gets me the most though. how did that get past the bug checkers for the release of the OS. period. ya know?

13. AuPhalanx macrumors regular

AuPhalanx

I am seeing the same things on my system. I did a straight upgrade. (Forget about doing a clean install! If Apple required that, then I would move to another platform or stop using a computer altogether.) The iChatAgent thing is very strange. I have no clue what's going on with that. I hope they get these little bugs squashed soon.

Have fun... Tony.

14. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I have both the iChat issue and I had the recovered files in the trash after the 10.4.1 update.

15. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

16. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

I should probably start a different thread for this, but what are everyone's page in/outs? My computer has only been running 19 hours and I have 94,328 page in's and 281,537 page out's. I've never had a higher number of page out's than in's before. I have 512mb of RAM.

17. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

38,583 in and 0 out, although that is on a Powerbook with 2GB of RAM.
    :D

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

since Tiger my wifi signal has reached new heights, usually around the 75% mark (Panther got me to 25%). but! i frequently lose the network connection. got worse with 10.4.1. tis a little annoying.

19. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Should I be worried that my page outs are that high?

20. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

#1. is a known bug with Apple

#2. is a new "feature." I hope when Apple finishes Tiger--yes finish--shortcuts like this will disappear.

#3. Yes, Tiger is a mess.

Here's hoping that .2 is what Apple should of shipped in the first place. I bet it'll be .3 or .4.

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    No, but if they are continually that high after a few hours (ie you always put that kind of workload on your Mac), you'd probably notice a performance improvement by adding some more RAM

22. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

FadeToBlack

Thanks for the reply! Honestly, I don't really notice many slowdowns at all. I hardly ever get the beachball or anything. That's why I was surprised that I had that many pageouts, since I hadn't noticed any slowdowns or anything. I'm quite fine with 512mb RAM.

23. Makosuke macrumors 603

On the RAM question: When you were looking in Activity Monitor, were you only paying attention to the "Free" RAM, or did you also look at the "Inactive" RAM. Unless I'm seriously mistaken (there are dozens of threads with similar questions), so long as you have a chunk of Inactive RAM available, you're fine, and it's been this way through at least the last two verions of OSX.

If, on the other hand, both Free and Inactive are very low numbers, you may be short on RAM for whatever reason.

Personally, I have a few (6000) Pageouts after 4 days of uptime, but 1.2GB free and another 700MB Inactive. Then again, this is with 2.5GB on a G5 tower.

24. buggybear macrumors member

I just had the same thing happen to me. I logged out and that stopped TruBlueEnvironment. I understand that TruBlueEnvironment is involved with running Classic, but I don't think I even had Classic launched; I certainly wasn't running any Classic apps. For the record, I'm running 10.4.1 on a 867MHz 12" PowerBook.