Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AxiomaticRubric

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2010
On Mars, Praising the Omnissiah
Perspective, you hit the nail on the head. It's missing from this site, and it seems the internet as a whole!

It's a standard anti-marketing technique to bombard your opponents' forums with negative comments and shameless, covert plugs of your product line. Not everyone posting on MacRumors is entirely honest with their intentions in mentioning competing products. Some forum "members" may even be sock-puppet controlled accounts with automated responses that are generated based on AI algorithms.

I wouldn't put it past Apple to use the same tactic on Microsoft or Android related forums.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Three finger drag?

That's what i do to my girl and she loves it. :cool:
Pretty inappropriate comment for a public forum.
[doublepost=1479579908][/doublepost]I honestly believe that Apple has the right to charge insane prices on its products, BUT that can ONLY apply if the products are flawless. And Apple's products currently aren't. Apple is slowly damaging its brand, and thats truely disappointing.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
I own MacBook Pro 15" 2 days now. Never used that 3 finger thingy, so don't see any problems/issues. So, please, enlighten me about "too many issues". Thanks in advance
[doublepost=1479518834][/doublepost]
what exactly wrong with that MBP? care to explain? Because I'm working with it from yesterday morning and didn't see anything serious so far. I like keyboard, screen, touch pad, fast SSD. I miss MagSafe, but it's not as bad as I thought it will be
Where to begin? This is no longer a machine made for "pros". I am not going to carry around a suitcase full of different adapters - I need to be able to use a USB stick on the fly, transfer footage from SD, connect to an HDMI or displayport monitor - I don't have time to screw around with dongles. The internals (processor, RAM) are completely under-powered for today's standard. I personally cannot stand typing on the keyboard, and I do a lot of word processing. When I tried the touch bar I found it distracting, I was looking at it more than the actual content I should have been on the screen - maybe fun, but too gimmicky. The touch pad is too large for my taste. Sucks the Apple logo doesn't light up. No MagSafe. Oh and the price is ridiculous for all of it. This is more of a laptop for a college student or kid who wants to screw around. Not a business professional. And now there's these kinds of issues like 3 finger swipe coming about, who knows what's next?

Are you enlightened?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
How come 3 finger drag doesn't work on mine at all? It's enabled too. How do you do it just swipe left and right with 3 fingers?

Reactions: Huck

dmarkman

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
MA, USA
Not at all true.

The new MBP is full of compromises and performance issues that you are obviously able to excuse.

By all means enjoy your new toy as much as possible, but this product makes it painfully obvious there is something really rotten at Apple's current core.
I'm not sure, here I am typing that message from my new space gray MBP 15" (late 2016), there is no indication of rotten Apple's core, no bad smelling, no noise, there are nice suggestions of the words I'm typing on touch bar ( cool )
I never tried 3 finger drag, so I tried it for few minutes. It works as expected from left top to down, from middle top to down, from right top to down. I didn't like it, so I disabled it. About price, it has comparable configuration with my previous MBP (2013) and costs exactly $7 more, Apple care costs $19 more, so all together $26 more for 3 years, I think it's not bad. I bought also Thunderbolt 2 adapter + card reader + usb-c - usb-a adapter all together another $50, not bad too
[doublepost=1479586847][/doublepost]
I'm so happy I got the non emoji bar MacBook. Super light, enough power for my use, removable ssd and cheap enough to let me buy something more powerful or an iMac/mini later.
Emoji bar MacBooks seem to be bad news...especially at that price tag. o_O
I don't understand why are people moaning about price, price didn't change (at least for me)
3 years ago I bought MBP 15" (retina) 2.6GHz/16GB/1TB SSD $3089 + $307 Apple care (after corporate discount, before tax)
now I bought MBP 15" with touch bar 2.9GHz/16GB/1TB SSD $3101 + $314 Apple care (after corporate discount, before tax)
so increase is $19 for 3 years, it's practically nothing

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
I hope apple fixes this.

Wouldn't count on it. Bluetooth still disconnects constantly on my 2015 MBP that I use for work. Been an issue since Sierra launched and the problem didn't exist on El Capitan. I submitted a bug report and they simply closed it, stating that it was a duplicate of another ticket, which I can't even view the contents of.

"Just works"... whenever Apple decides to fix it

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Youre just using your Mac wrong clearly. :p

Definitely having the problem here. I use 3-finger drag extensively and it's really slowing down my workflow not being able to rely on it.

Oddly enough, for me the 3-finger drag seems to be the most consistent when I start from the top-right of my trackpad.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
Wouldn't count on it. Bluetooth still disconnects constantly on my 2015 MBP that I use for work. Been an issue since Sierra launched and the problem didn't exist on El Capitan. I submitted a bug report and they simply closed it, stating that it was a duplicate of another ticket, which I can't even view the contents of.

"Just works"... whenever Apple decides to fix it

Out of curiosity do you have anything nearby in the 2.4ghz range? That can interfere with bt. I ask because my 2015 mb is fine

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
How come 3 finger drag doesn't work on mine at all? It's enabled too. How do you do it just swipe left and right with 3 fingers?
No. with the cursor on the top bar of a window, place three fingers on the trackpad and move the window around.
It's a brilliant feature, in fact.

dmarkman

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
MA, USA
Where to begin? This is no longer a machine made for "pros". I am not going to carry around a suitcase full of different adapters - I need to be able to use a USB stick on the fly, transfer footage from SD, connect to an HDMI or displayport monitor - I don't have time to screw around with dongles. The internals (processor, RAM) are completely under-powered for today's standard. I personally cannot stand typing on the keyboard, and I do a lot of word processing. When I tried the touch bar I found it distracting, I was looking at it more than the actual content I should have been on the screen - maybe fun, but too gimmicky. The touch pad is too large for my taste. Sucks the Apple logo doesn't light up. No MagSafe. Oh and the price is ridiculous for all of it. This is more of a laptop for a college student or kid who wants to screw around. Not a business professional. And now there's these kinds of issues like 3 finger swipe coming about, who knows what's next?

Are you enlightened?

dmarkman

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2004
MA, USA

Are you enlightened?
Hmm, I'm sorry.
1. define "pros". I'm considering myself as "pros" in software development with about 30 years experience.
and almost every car you're driving, almost every plane you're flying, almost every computer pros or not you're using was made with the software I'm helping to develop. So don't tell me about "pros"
2. that machine you're so not happy with compiles and build project with about 2000 cpp files for about 1.3h which is reasonable, windows machine does it for 5h (64GB, 8 cores), debian 8 does it for 50min (the same configuration) so I'm pretty happy with that computer. It run my software pretty fast, so 16GB 2130MHz RAM is pretty fast, so again don't tell me about pros. (and my iMac with 32GB 27" top of the line (current) is slower that that MBP
3. dongles. I need one (thounderbolt) that's about it. I don't need SD card adapter, I have WiFI and my Canon 70D has it as well, my Samsung 500GB external SSD drive has USB-C interface no need for dongles, so don't tell me about dongles
4. Touch bar. It's clear to me, you never tried it. But it's free country, you don't like it, don't buy it. To me it's very promising and amazing feature and we're planning to add support for touch bar in our software. And I can tell you. Almost every university in the world has and uses our software, literally every engineer in the world knows about our software and almost every one uses it
5. touch pad, it's the same size as Magic Trackpad 2, so no problem with it, but again you don't like it, don't buy it
but for me it is just fine
6. MagSafe. here you're right, but after using it for almost 3 days I can see that it's not as bad
7. Price, it's practically the same price as my 3years old MBP 15" with Retina display, so again, don't tell me about price
8. about "enlighten me", it was sarcasm.

and, please, DrumApple, don't be so full of yourself it will help you :)

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Where to begin? This is no longer a machine made for "pros". ... yadda yadda yadda ... Sucks the Apple logo doesn't light up. ... yadda yadda yadda ... And now there's these kinds of issues like 3 finger swipe coming about, who knows what's next?

Are you enlightened?
I am and I've always been.

And that's why I can tell you, a 3 finger swipe is different from a 3 finger drag. There are no issues with swiping. These reports are all about a special feature which lets you drag a window around on the desktop without having to click on its title bar. Most users probably don't even know this was possible.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
No. with the cursor on the top bar of a window, place three fingers on the trackpad and move the window around.
It's a brilliant feature, in fact.
i think I'm talking about 3 finger swipe not drag. i can't get it to swipe between apps

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
Out of curiosity do you have anything nearby in the 2.4ghz range? That can interfere with bt. I ask because my 2015 mb is fine
I initially thought interference too, but like I said, it never happened on El Capitan. I primarily use the MBP at work in a large office building, the people sitting next to me have similar Bluetooth mac peripherals (keyboards, magic track pad, etc) but they had all of those before upgrading also. My co workers have also experienced this issue after upgrading the OS.

I've tried resetting the Bluetooth module from the debug menu, resetting my Magic Mouse, and other various troubleshooting steps, and it still does it. It's actually kind of infuriating when it happens and has overall ruined the once zen-like, stress free experience I've had with using a mac at work. Really hope they fix it soon.

atomic.flip

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
Perspective, you hit the nail on the head. It's missing from this site, and it seems the internet as a whole!

Look everyone here has an interest in Apple products. But it's so ridiculous that complaints about issues or changes in products are met with "complaints" about the complaints. I mean seriously. If you're happy that's great. Let people share their opinion and stop criticizing it. If you want to share your experience do so but do so regarding the product, not the people on the forum.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
A laptop that tops out over $4k should not have so many issues. Yes, this one is relatively minor, but with everything else wrong, this is getting ridiculous.
so in your estimate, how many people are afflicted by this hardship? this show stopper?

Reactions: dannys1

rebe1

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
[doublepost=1479629789][/doublepost]

Are you enlightened?

Completely underpowered... uhuh. Btw, this keyboard is pretty good, have you even tried to type extensively on it?

Anyways.. pretty enlightened about your negativity, much less about what is wrong with the new MacBook Pro's.
[doublepost=1479630102][/doublepost]
can't wait for all the comments from those who don't own said laptops.

I own one, and this feature has worked fine so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: dannys1 and 2457248

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
I really feel like buying a refurb 2015 model now. At least then I'll have a trouble free Macbook Pro for 4-5 years until we get past this crappy generation.
Which might actually be a pretty good idea. The low-end touchbar model is 1799 USD, there's also a refurbished 2015 model for 1779 USD, which is a far better deal. You get:
  • 16 GB RAM vs 8 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD vs. 256 GB SSD
  • an i7-5557U vs. i5-6267U (the difference is not huge though)
  • A more usable keyboard
  • Actual ports
  • Magsafe

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Now if they only made it 2mm thinner,increased the trackpad size 2 inches bigger, and had 3 ports less I am sure this laptop would have been perfect with no issues.
[doublepost=1479641516][/doublepost]
Which might actually be a pretty good idea. The low-end touchbar model is 1799 USD, there's also a refurbished 2015 model for 1779 USD, which is a far better deal. You get:
  • 16 GB RAM vs 8 GB RAM
  • 512 GB SSD vs. 256 GB SSD
  • an i7-5557U vs. i5-6267U (the difference is not huge though)
  • A more usable keyboard
  • Actual ports
  • Magsafe

My problem is that you get the old retarded GPU and it doesn't have the skylake processor, does it?

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
Minor issue? I use the three finger gesture functional all the time. Giant part of how I navigate the OS, so speak for yourself.

Actually so do I. The reason i'm not going crazy about this for two reasons. One it's only happening to some people and two it'll almost certainly be fixed in macOS before most of us have received our systems.

Genuinely it seems like a hand recognition issue based on the new trackpad size. It's a minor bug because it'll be fixed.

It's just MR stoking the fire and flamewars of the rabid masses over things that'll be fixed or are not an issue and posting nothing positive that irks me. If this was still an issue in January THEN i'd be annoyed.
[doublepost=1479645171][/doublepost]
  • A more usable keyboard
  • Actual ports

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.