Some Users Seeing Poor Wi-Fi Reception on New iPad

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 21, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Some owners of the new iPad are experiencing unexpectedly poor Wi-Fi reception according to a thread on the Apple Support forums. The thread, noticed by AppleInsider, began on Saturday, March 17, the day after the new iPad first went on sale.

[​IMG]

There are 110 replies on the thread, with numerous users reporting similar issues and a wide variety of potential solutions including erasing and restoring the iPad, as well as exchanging it for a new unit at an Apple Store.

With 3 million units sold in the first weekend alone, there are bound to be some issues cropping up. This isn't the first time that iPads have had wireless difficulties. The original iPad had similar Wi-Fi issues, including problems with weak signal, forgotten passwords, and more.

Article Link: Some Users Seeing Poor Wi-Fi Reception on New iPad

2. macrumors 6502a

Macrumors forum users complain about everything

3. macrumors 6502a

mazz0

I have nothing to add to this discussion.

4. macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Device engineer 30+ yrs, touchscreens 24+.
    It's not MacRumors.

The thread link is to the official Apple Support Forums.

The first good indicator of widespread problems usually shows up there, since regular discussion is prohibited.

5. macrumors regular

My iPad 3's WiFi actually performs better than my iPad 2. I couldn't really use my iPad 2 in the back room of my house, yet the iPad 3 is fine.

6. macrumors newbie

iPd 2 has some PROBLEM since updaing to iOS 5.1

I have the iPad 2 and my Wi-Fi is actiong up also, don't know why this is. Some days I have good Wi-Fi and others I dont'. Yesterday March 20 my iPad 2 had poor Wi-Fi and than like 10minutes later my iPad went right to 3G but I use Wi-Fi in my house not 3G but I am paying for 3G but I like to use Wi-Fi when i am at Home. And when I try to find my Wi-Fi the iPad 2 cannot find it at all but my iPhone 4 can find it. This never happened when my iPad 2 was on iOS 5.0.1 but when I updated to iOS 5.1 the Wi-Fi problem started. I hope Apple fixes this problem soon

7. macrumors 6502a

they are even worse

8. macrumors G3

Kilamite

iOS update to make WiFi bars bigger and use a better algorithm for displaying bars.

9. macrumors newbie

10. macrumors 65816

autrefois

I hope that comment was meant to be ironic...right?!

11. macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope this doesn't roll into the iPad 4. My iPad 2 has a bad enough signal. It has frequent network drops where my iPhone 4S, iPod, Playstation Vita, PSP, iMac, 3DS, DS Lite are all just fine.

12. macrumors 68020

applesith

Are we really going to turn every individual issue into a headline? Just call the damn thing a defective flop that was rushed in production and doesn't work. Save us the wasted time and space of building these up and referencing earlier reports of other issues.

13. macrumors member

Dogface

Wirelessly posted

I don't have an iPad.

14. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

For the record my new iPad's Wi-Fi is working just fine. Signal strength at home and the office is just as strong as my computers and iPhone. :)

15. macrumors regular

perealb

I have no problems with wifi on my new iPad. I use it at home and at work without any issues.

16. macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

It seems to drop down to 2 bars more easily.

But my speed seems the same as the iPad 2 on the same network.

17. macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I'm having problems with the Wi-Fi reception on my new iPad.

The problem is not the quality of the signal in general, but rather its consistency. I use an AirPort Extreme, and wherever I am in my house with any of my Apple devices (MacBook Air, iPhone 4S, new iPad), I max my 8 Mbps connection.

However, if I am pretty far from my router with my new iPad, it will work at full speed for a while, then suddenly stop working completely for around 5 minutes, then come back at full speed after. When the connection is having problems, my iPad is still connected to the network according to the Wi-Fi icon and will show one or two bars (as opposed to three normally) but using the Speedtest.net app gave me a result of 0.1 Mbps instead of the usual 8 Mbps. All I have to do is wait around 5 minutes, without even having to move, and the Wi-Fi icon will show 3 bars at some point and that means my internet is back at its full speed.

That never, ever, happened with any of my other devices and I've had my router for years. They never drop the connection and always max it. My iPad, on the other hand, drops its connection for a couple minutes multiple times a day, and it's definitely not normal, especially since I don't even have to move to get it back to normal. It appears that the antenna (or the software behind it) is more to blame than the aluminium case blocking signal.

I was waiting to see if it was a known issue with the new iPad or if I was an isolated case who got a defective unit.

18. macrumors 68000

Same for me!

19. macrumors G5

Macman45

I seem to be the odd one out again. I have noticed I proved wifi and faster browsing....I'd love to bitch about something, I really would, but mine is perfect..okay, battery takes longer to charge, but that's it...Just lucky I guess..

20. macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I'm running a Time Capsule and have ZERO issues with connectivity on Wi-Fi. I wonder how much of the sensitivity is related to the Router not handling the signals.

I run the following:

Time Capsule Dual-Band Extended by an Airport Express.

- iPhone 4s
    - iPhone 4
    - iPod Touch 4th Gen x 2
    - iMac
    - Dell Work Laptop
    - PS3 x 2
    - HP Printers x 2
    - Harmony Link
    - ATV x 3
    - Nest Thermostat
    - iPad 2
    - OOMA VOIP Wireless Box

That's 17 devices in an Loft Apt with several floors and buildings (similar to a hotel setting). Not to mention the # of Wi-Fi networks and devices my neighbors have.

I'm sure Apple will resolve with a Software update or maybe there is a bad batch of chips.

21. macrumors G5

Macman45

I too am running a TC, the old router adage does stand up, it's a distinct possibility . I also have an AEBS acting as an extender...Works great.

22. macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

Wirelessly posted

No problems here, except I don't get wifi when I am walking around town, only at home and at businesses that offer a wifi signal? What's up with that? ;)

23. macrumors 6502

Wonder if any o these people who blame everything on Apple have tried to change the channel on their router? Example: from 11 to 3...

24. macrumors 68020

rmhop81

when you have been using the same channel forever and u start using the iPad and you get weak signals it's obviously not something to do with the channel. iPad 2 has full bars in the house at all times...iPad 3 has 2 bars unless you are in the same room as the Extreme or Express. Doesn't have to do with the channel.

25. macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted

They're holding it wrong.