some WoW questions for you guys

Discussion in 'Games' started by fowler., Oct 11, 2006.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I'm writing a paper on subcultures and chose World of Warcraft as my topic.
    I have a bunch of questions that I'd like answered. Pretty straight forward, just answer what you can and make sure to number it, so I know what it corresponds to..

Thanks

Rules within the game,
    1. Are there certain unsaid rules that members follow?
    2. What are important "morals" that each member must consider while in the game, ie, killing unarmed characters ( I remember a story a few weeks ago where a group or clan of people attacked a funeral being had for a death of a real life member)?
    3. Do morals within the game follow the same kind of deals as in real life?
    4. Do people take advantage of the fact that it's a video game and they dont' have to face consequences like they would in real life?
    5. Are there consequences within the game for wrongs done?
    6. Who enforces them?

Slang,
    7. Mini glossary on terms used within the game and outside?
    8. Do the sayings and terms make their way into real life?
    9. when they do, do people look at you weird, or do they normally understand what you're saying?

Communication,
    10. Being this is the internet world, what's the primary form of communication?
    11. Are their WoW meets?
    12. Explain LAN parties (if they're applicable in this situation) and the relationships within that.
    13. Relationships within WoW, do you have any "real" friendships that have developed in real life?
    14. Are there terms used in WoW that mean something else in real life, or other groups of people?

Gameplay,
    15. Why did you start playing WoW? Boredom, to be challenged, etc?
    16. How often are you playing?
    17. what have you sacrificed in order to play?

2. AoWolf macrumors 6502a

AoWolf

1. Are there certain unsaid rules that members follow? - Yes there is some editquite but you will have to be specific on what you want to know about as its a hugely broad question.

2. What are important "morals" that each member must consider while in the game, ie, killing unarmed characters ( I remember a story a few weeks ago where a group or clan of people attacked a funeral being had for a death of a real life member)?- This was a funeral for someone who died IRL (In real life) in my personal opinion it was low and showed the true character of the people who did the ganking (killing with an obvious advantage in your favor). As for killing the other faction? Do so as much as possible and be a jerk about it as long as it won't effects someone's real life. The point of the game is to kill the enemy if you don't like it roll carebare(PVE server PVEr's are seen as weak by the PvP community and blizzard supports us in this feeling by not allowing them to transfer to PVP realms and by this quote: By choosing to play on a PvP server, you have chosen to move the game difficulty slider from "Easy" to "Hard." While this makes attaining any goal all the more satisfying, expect the road to be paved with sorrow. -Blizzard PvP Support site

3. Do morals within the game follow the same kind of deals as in real life? Yes an no. When in a party you are expected to be not steal ( this is hard to do) and to not be greedy if someone else needs something. However this is a fighting game with the goal of personal progression you can do what you like but you can easily be outcasted if you are a big jerk. On the other hand there will be people you will want to screw over learn the politics of yours server and find out what you stand for.

4. Do people take advantage of the fact that it's a video game and they don't have to face consequences like they would in real life? Very much so! I won't lie I have screwed many people over because they were in a lesser guild and there opinion doesn't matter or they suck and are not worth my time. Could most of them kick my ass IRL? Yes but its a game.

5. Are there consequences within the game for wrongs done? Yes two kinds 1. Public opionion

2. Rule violations of the official game rules can get you any number of official punishments such as a 3 day ban.

6. Who enforces them? - The GM's (Game masters) Every player can petition one of they have a problem or see rule breaking. For example you are not technically aloud to use foul language 99% of people do but be careful because you can still get banned on it if you piss someone off.

Slang,
    7. Mini glossary on terms used within the game and outside? See my ( xxxxxxxxxxx) notes

8. Do the sayings and terms make their way into real life?- Uh well I say woot(expression of joy) allot (gets lots of funny looks) and uh "Some people" see lawl ("lol" pronounced in english) sometimes.

9. when they do, do people look at you weird, or do they normally understand what you're saying? - Yes they look at me weird:eek:

Communication,
    10. Being this is the internet world, what's the primary form of communication? Vent (online voice software) for big guilds text for most people
    11. Are their WoW meets?- there are raids these are large 20-40 man events that happen within a good guild. These last from 3-18 hours depending on your guilds skill level and what they want to achieve.

12. Explain LAN parties (if they're applicable in this situation) and the relationships within that. - there are very few wow is a world wide game people live to far away generally.

13. Relationships within WoW, do you have any "real" friendships that have developed in real life?- Personally yes

14. Are there terms used in WoW that mean something else in real life, or other groups of people? hmm well there is a very racist trend that has run rampant in the last few months I find it pretty disgusting. Lots of anti black and jew sentiment and stuff like the "N" word or bastardized variations.

Gameplay,
    15. Why did you start playing WoW? Boredom, to be challenged, etc? - Had a surgery and couldn't go to school always been a blizzard fan.
    16. How often are you playing? - Far far far far to much

17. what have you sacrificed in order to play?See above :)

Overall wow is a gritty place I hope that gives you a sense of how people will be. Anonymity + a public place with few conciseness brings out the worst in people. Also if you are new be ready to face people hatting you for it. You will screw up and they will be mad. We all were noobs once you will get used to it.

3. DougTheImpaler macrumors 6502a

Misspelled words? Check.
    Making fun of PvE players? Check.
    Gleefully claiming to have "screwed over" other people because they "don't matter"? Check.

Sounds like the post above this one is either a joke or a really sad individual who needs to get outside in the sunlight. LOL

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Accusing someone of making fun of others? Check.

Making fun of them in return? Check.

Irony? Check.

The first reply, I'd say, sums up the typical WoW player.

Here are my answers:
    1. Are there certain unsaid rules that members follow?
    >> Yes, but they vary from player to player, much the same as manners in real life vary from person to person. Generally, killing another player that is in the middle of fighting a monster, or is initially at low health or a much lower level is frowned upon. However, there are invidiuals who make great fun out of this sort of behavior.

2. What are important "morals" that each member must consider while in the game, ie, killing unarmed characters ( I remember a story a few weeks ago where a group or clan of people attacked a funeral being had for a death of a real life member)?
    >> See #1. Generally, treat other players of your own faction with respect and how you'd want to be treated. Do not "ninja" items (selecting "need" when an item drops when you do not need the item, and someone else in the group could make better use of it).

3. Do morals within the game follow the same kind of deals as in real life?
    >> Yes, except in the game no real-life consequences carry through, so how people treat one another is generally more casual and tends to be more informal, sometimes disrespectful, than they ever would act in real life.

4. Do people take advantage of the fact that it's a video game and they dont' have to face consequences like they would in real life?
    >> Most definitely.

5. Are there consequences within the game for wrongs done?
    >> Yes, abusing the game mechanics, cheating, and harresament can get you banned.

6. Who enforces them?
    >> GM's/Blizzard Staff.

Slang,
    7. Mini glossary on terms used within the game and outside?
    >> Noob, newb, nub, n00b: Someone who is new, or seen as a "fool."
    Twink: Lower level character with items/gear that require the help of a much higher level character to achieve.
    Ninja: Someone who dishonestly and cowardly gets an item that they do not need, or achieves the item in a dishonest way.
    Gank: To kill a player of the opposing faction.
    wtfpwn: "WTF" + "PWN" - to own someone so hard, they don't know "wtf" happened.

8. Do the sayings and terms make their way into real life?
    >> In certain crowds or situations, yes.

9. when they do, do people look at you weird, or do they normally understand what you're saying?
    >> Depends on the people and the situation. At work? Yes. In CS class or lab? No.

Communication,
    10. Being this is the internet world, what's the primary form of communication?
    >> Text chat, and sometimes voice chat via external applications.

11. Are their WoW meets?
    >> Occasioanly.

12. Explain LAN parties (if they're applicable in this situation) and the relationships within that.
    >> People hook up their computers to one another in order to play network-based games on them. Since WoW is global and on the entire net, LAN parties for WoW are generally uncommon.

13. Relationships within WoW, do you have any "real" friendships that have developed in real life?
    >> No, simply due to distance. However, I know people within the game that I am sure if we lived near one another, we would be very good real-life friends.

14. Are there terms used in WoW that mean something else in real life, or other groups of people?
    Twink: in WoW, a well-geared lower level player. In real life, a homosexual teenage boy.

Gameplay,
    15. Why did you start playing WoW? Boredom, to be challenged, etc?
    >> It is very similar to Lord of the Rings-style fantasy, and seeing my brother play got me interested.

16. How often are you playing?
    >> I play 23-30 hours a week.

17. what have you sacrificed in order to play?
    >> Nothing really. Most people read, watch TV or do their hobby - WoW is just one of my hobbies that I do just like anyone else does theirs.

5. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Why did you pick a subject, which you seem to know nothing about, to write a paper on?

(And be sure to back up your forum-derived data with lots of nice Wikipedia quotes!)

6. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

Why pick a subject that you know about?

It's an interview style paper written on subcultures. I can't possibly belong to that many of them so I figured I'd write something that I don't know much about.

With these questions, I'm just trying t get random tidbits of info that I can use when I do the actual interview..

7. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Ive seen the video of the funeral you are referring to.

those who say "aw, that was in bad taste" dont know the whole story.

I can only summise from what I recall, youd have to google this yourself for more info.

Anyway, a clan ADVERTISED on the forums that they were having a funeral in game, for someone who died IN REAL LIFE.

Sure, fine, whatever, lets just not assume these people are total dorks.

Another clan, built up of what some might call "jerks" others "jesters", decided it would be fun to crash this little funeral.

The biggest mistake made, that has nothing to do with morals or anything, is that the funeral was to take place in CONTESTED TERRITORY on a PvP server. So, in essence, they were sort of asking for it to be crashed.

Moral?

#1 - have a real funeral
    #2 - dont advertise a funeral for a friend
    #3 - dont have funeral in a place where it could go to hell

8. Gasu E. macrumors 68040

Gasu E.

What does "contested territory" have to do with it? Alliance and Horde players share the same forums. Perhaps the people holding the funeral thought Horde players (who are, after all, actual human beings in real life) might want to pay tribute as well. Given that the funeral was discussed on the forums, it's very well likely that some of the Horde participants in the forum indicated as such. It's also highly unlikely that most of the participants lived anywhere near the deceased, and that it was physically impractical for them to attend the "real funeral."

9. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

To be honest, that's dumb. As a chemist, I don't write papers about political science, and I wouldn't pretend to act like I'm exposing political science. Journalists all the time try to "classify" WoW or the gaming world and get it totally off-base, which is just misleading the rest of the non-gaming world.

You really have to play the game in order to understand the little nuances. Asking little questions, interview style, here and there, is just going to give you a good idea about things that really don't matter.

All WoW players have the same inside jokes, like "Barrens chat" and "nerf shammies" which you really won't get unless you've been playing for several days watching an incessant amount of kiddie chat on the left corner of your screen, or if you're alliance in BG getting pwned left and right by shammies doing melee and all their stupid shock spells.

There's the frustrating parts when you're in... iono... Desolace or some of the lvl 45+ lands which are all contested territories where you can repeatedly get ganked, which just adds on a useless 1-2 hours to your leveling run.

That's the culture of the game, not really "how do you guys communicate" or "relationships within the game" or "why did you start playing the game."

Those ARE important too, but just not what defines WoW gaming.

EDIT: And also, if you'd just played the game for 2 weeks, every single one of these questions' answers would be clairvoyant to you. Doing an interview then would even make a bit more sense.

10. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

If they held the funeral in Alliance territory, then Horde players wouldn't be able to attack unless the Alliance who were paying their respects were flagged.

11. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Seriously, either get the game and get online, sit co-pilot with someone that plays the game or get a "friend" account through Blizzard to check it out. There's not enough space on this forum for those of us to play to write out everything that's required to write a good paper on the questions you ask.

For example, someone could write all day about the subject of PVP - how it's done in the world, specific PVP areas, ranking, honor, rewards, etc.

I could write all day on farming high level instances (40 man raids) with my guild including using Ventrilo, dragon kill points, loot lists, CTMod, and other required add-ins.

Someone else could talk about the trades and what's best for generating money or where stuff can be farmed.

Then there's the morons that ramble on in the LFG, Trade or General channel about nonsense. Why someone pays monthly fees to Blizzard for a chatroom that just irritates others is beyond me.

The list goes on and on. The game is different for different people depending on what part of the game interests you. One person will tell you that PVP is where it's at, but it's the level 60 PVP people fitted in blue gear that are always asking me about my tier 2 epics. I get a lot more satisfaction out of rolling with 40 people through BWL or AQ40 than I ever got out of running with a flag.

12. fowler. thread starter macrumors 6502a

fowler.

seriously, if i was asking for your advice, I'd ask for your advice.

13. NewSc2 macrumors 65816

don't bother posting on a forum then. at least go to the right one. http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com