Somebody help me

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by MacManiac1224, Mar 24, 2003.

1. MacManiac1224 macrumors regular

I want to take over a Mac OS X machine from a Windows XP machine. I want to see the Mac OS GUI and control it, is there any way I could do this without any additional software? If not, will something like Timbuktu work? Thanks everybody

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

3. MacManiac1224 thread starter macrumors regular

not hacking, I got my Uncle an iMac, and currently I am getting ready to buy a Powermac (IBM 970) hopefully, but currently I have a Windows XP computer. He had a problem recently, and I couldn't help him, so now I have to go out there and fix it, I want to try to avoid this, so that is why I am asking, Thanks again

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Im not aware of a way to do this, but that would be very interesting.

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There is no way to do this without additional software. I'm not familiar with Timbuktu, but you would need something like Apple Remote Desktop.

6. Rufus macrumors newbie

Sure, you can use VNC to do this. It's slow, slow, slow on OS X (so much pretty stuff being sent across the network), but it does work.

VNC is an open source project and there are servers (the computer being controlled) and clients (the controller) available for many platforms.

Here's one port of VNC Server for OS X :
    http://www.redstonesoftware.com/osxvnc/

I think this is the most current and best supported port.

Enjoy.

7. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

VNC is decent and it is free. But from my personal experience, timbuktu always has seemed faster for me. The pricetag is a big factor though, since you would need to buy both X and XP versions.