Somebody is really happy tonight.

Discussion in 'Community' started by cr2sh, Nov 6, 2003.

1. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

So I got a few days off and I decided to head home to see my parents. This morning I was sitting at the breakfast table looking through the paper, Classified Ads, For Sale, Computers... and I see an ad.

For Sale. iMac 1G proc. 128ram. 25gig. 17" $400

I grab my cell phone and call over as quickly as I can.

Answering machine. So I leave a message explaining, (trying not to sound frantic) that I'm interested and if they could please call back as soon as possible. I'd appreciate it.

All day I'm on eggshells, everytime my cell rings.. hoping it wasn't sold.

About 7pm the phone rings:

"Hi, you called this morning about the iMac?"
    "Yes I did.."
    "Well, I'm sorry, its sold already.. 1st person who looked at it bought it on the spot."
    "Do you mind me asking, how much did you sell it for?"
    "$350"

My heart sank.. I asked some questions and comfirmed.. it was barely used, there was no typo... she simply found out she just wasnt a mac person and had a custom pc built. She just wanted to get rid of it.

Part of me says, "it was stolen" but either way, there's somebody out there tonight.. VERY happy.

2. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

25gb hard drive, imac never came with that. 17" came with 60 at the lowest.

iJon

3. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Wow, that person must be extraordinarilay happy. Too bad you didn't get it though.

4. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

oops messed up on the post, anyways it never came with 128mb ram either. specs are very iffy on this one, i dont think, you should be sad.

iJon

5. cr2sh thread starter macrumors 68030

cr2sh

agreed... who knows if it was an option to drop the specs. They do seem to conflict with each other.

The woman seemed to know what she was talking about. Iffy, yes.. but this wasnt an ebay ad either. I thought you guys might appreciate the story. :)

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

It makes me mad. :mad:

So unfair... I think I'm gunn start reading my classifieds now, though. ;)

scem0

7. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I was about to say, I never knew of an iMac with those specs before...and it is sold for dirt cheap, too. You'd think if it was hardly used that she'd be asking more for it to recoup the costs of her PC. Either way, it'd be awesome to get a Mac for $350.

8. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd say that it may be better not to know. Things happen for their own reasons, so maybe it's better u didn't get it.

Anyway, I don't believe anyone would be naive enough to say "I'm just not a Mac person, and I have NO clue that this new computer is worth more than $350." :rolleyes:

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

eye might be right. If she had a custom built PC - it might have had the iMac drive and memory if it was compatible. So she had cannibalized it for her own machine and passed it off and didn't want to have to deal with *issues*.

Not that it still wasn't a deal ;)

D

10. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Sounds a bit like that old urban legend about the jilted wife who gets a telegram from her ex-husband who ran off with the young secretary saying, "Need cash -- sell my car and wire the money" so she puts an ad in the paper for his 560SL for $50.

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I'll keep in mind not to run off on my girlfriend for another girl...I'd hate to have my PowerBook sold for $50!