Someone explain the market for iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WannaGoMac, Sep 5, 2007.

1. macrumors 65816

I just don't get who is the market for an iPod touch? With only 8gb/16gb of space, wouldn't most people prefer a nano as their "walkman" since it is cheaper? It's not able to use 3rd party apps without hacking, so it's not a "real" pda. I just don't get what apple is thinking...

oh, and how is multi-touch convenient to use when running or using the ipod at a gym.

2. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Internet device with iTunes support.

3. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It's for all the people who want a "cool" mobile media device with wi-fi/internet and without an $80/month phone plan.

4. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Yet another internet enable device besides my computer and Wii? :rolleyes:

5. macrumors regular

I agree with the topic creator, I mentioned you wouldn't be able to change song with it in your pocket, or it would be tough to do while running.

Basically it's for people that want to have a 'cool', expensive, mp4 player.

Personally, iPod for me is just music, my cellphone is the vids and pics. If the Nano wasn't so ugly, I'd just get that.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Hmm, an internet device that is dependent on wifi being available... doesn't sound like a great device to me.

Seems like it is a jack of all trades, master of none device to me.

7. macrumors 601

gloss

Internet in my pocket (hotspots everywhere in Northern Virginia), sexy music player, video player with a larger/sharper screen than the HD-based iPod. It's also thinner and in all likelihood much more durable than the iPod Classic. No moving parts = win.

Plus there's some serious expandability on the horizon, given that it's running OSX and therefore hackable. iPDA, here we come.

8. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Wi-Fi is everywhere. :confused:

I'm being bombed by three other routers in my apartment alone. Every coffee shop down the street is pumping it out too. 2.4 GHz is crowded around here.

I'm not even on the west coast! Midwest <3

9. macrumors 6502a

im in the market. i wanted an iphone, couldnt get it cause i have to have verizon.
    it will probobly end up having similar application hacks like the iphone (nes/terminal)

10. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

This is the college kids wet dream.

Firstly, wifi is available on 19 out of 20 college campuses. Music is also on 99.999% of all college campuses. Music + Wifi = iPod Touch.

And the demographic of college students is giant. Also, college students like to hack things. It will take about 24 hours to have iChat or equivilant on it.

So their current phone to make calls. Their iPod touch to browse the internet, IM people and do whatever has to be done on the go.

11. macrumors 6502

so disappointing...I had been waiting for the ipod touch for years...16 gb's is just not enough...I suppose I will have to wait another year :(

12. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

What bothers me is what kind of authentication it'll support.

13. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

To assume would be folly, but I would have to think it would support the same authentication that the iPhone supports?

Most secure school networks use a registration system anyway - not an authentication system.

14. macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Imagine IM-ing on your iPod. And with WiFi you can sent free SMS/Text messages if your parent has something against "using your phone too much" and not let you get a texting plan (not that I know anyone like that:rolleyes:) In my high school, there's wifi everywhere.

15. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Mine uses a Thawte Premium Server CA.

I'll ask my iPhone owning coworker if he can get on it.

16. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

R'uh r'oh! Another thing for schools to BAN!!!111 :rolleyes:

A..what? I'm a comp sci major and I never heard of that. Is that something your school made? Or is that just the server, and not the encryption? How did you connect to your network first day?

17. macrumors newbie

iPod touch is but a stop gap solution to finance future products

The iPod touch would have been useful if any of the following were present:

a) VoIP phone capability to use it as a VoIP handset with the WiFi
    b) With 160GB HD, such that coverflow, video and photo capabilities would actually be powerful enough to justify the fancy touch user interface. For 16GB worth of media, the touch UI is overkill
    c) as a full Internet access device, the screen is too small

Where all this is going: a truly portable Mac in a ultra-portable brick with a reduced portable GUI on a touch screen, and a full fledged Mac GUI when stuck in a docking station, with hook up to a real screen and keyboard.
    For this to happen, though, we'll 100GB+ of mass storage durable enough to stand up to computing use (read/write cycle count, heat, etc.), and a mobile CPU fast enough for at least iWork, iLife, Mail.app and Safari, while being low-power enough to run on a iPod/iPhone size battery.

OQO already goes that path and was founded by former Apple employees, but the price and media capabilities, are not quite there yet. If you look at OQO and Apple's iPhone/iPod Touch, you know where the future is. In the mean time, I'll let others pay for the development. The iPhone has actual value, the iPod touch just gets you bragging rights.

18. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Thawte Premium Server Certificate Authority

It's the server that you have to authenticate against to get onto our wireless network.

I'm a Spanish major. Should I change if I knew that?

19. macrumors 6502

http://www.macpolls.com/

There is obviously a big market for them.

I ordered one because I wanted an iPhone but am stuck with my family plan and Verizon.

It is a cool new gadget that I can play around with and take on planes or long car rides. Even hook up to my car stereo and control it with the radio.

I can use it in school to check stuff on the internet when I have nothing to do.

Can you say all of sparknotes in my pocket just one click away?

20. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Reading many posts on these very forums leading up to and after the iPhone launch, you would realize that there are plenty of people desiring a phone-less iPhone, which is pretty much what the iPod touch is.

21. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Not necessarily, but you're a step ahead of the curve. That really has nothing to do with encryption. It's just a certificate. Safari can handle certificates, so you shouldn't have a problem.

22. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sadly it's the protocols required to reach the server that worries me. It's not browser based authentication.

23. macrumors newbie

does it just connect where ever a wireless signal is available or do you need to subscribe to something? i.e. would it work at home, library, school etc right out of the box?

24. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

If it's unprotected wi-fi you could connect to it just like any other device with wireless.

Secured networks would need authentication.

How is it different from a laptop with wireless? I understand that the laptop would have a more robust operating system. My Wii can connect the neighbor's wireless since it's not protected. :confused:

25. macrumors 6502

Shanesan

Sounds like a call to your local help desk is in order. :)