Someone explain this to me....

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sdashiki, May 18, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

How is it that a teacher can actually have a say in what their students write OUTSIDE of school? Defamation of character? No, I think its more of a joke....seeing as how none of what he said could be understood as true. (think Larry Flynt vs Rev. Falwell)

Its just plain ridiculuous, and basically another reason why America thinks teachers are to blame for their kids stupidity. Teachers like this guy need to be shot, not with a gun but with a tranq gun so they will be lulled into thinking that they actually are doing the right thing when actually all they are doing is drooling on their pants.

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I think the attitude of the teacher towards this is pretty bad, from what we know, but at the end of the day it was a pretty stupid thing for the kid in question to do if he really values his education as much as is made out. Showing such disrespect to your teacher on your myspace profile is just crazy.

You can't play with people who can't take a joke. If you want to write things about people that aren't true then you have to accept that this sort of thing will happen.

Yes, it's a bit crappy, but so is picking on your teacher.

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Yeah well look at it this way. The teacher is implicitly accused of being a child molester. It could mean the loss of his job for just the accusation. It might mean he could never teach again, something that he probably loves, (lets be honest no one goes into teaching for the money)

The loss of his job would be the least of his problems. He would be shunned.

The student by making the jokes could very well have ruined this mans life.

4. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I do agree w/ what MongoTheGreek brings up. That often, words (whether they're rumors/lies/ or truth) can be used to harm teachers and others... But in this instance, "wrestling w/ alligators and midgets" hardly seems like a statement that teacher would have lost his job over. But now that he's pressing charges-- what district is going to want to hire him should he ever leave this school? What student is going to want to do well in his classes or even enroll in his classes?!

And I maintain that if a student has some real gripes about a teacher, related to teaching style, that's what ratemyprofessor.com is for, not MySpace. :p

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Actually, MySpace has professor ratings, although this story is about high school. :D

I guess it depends on what all was in that profile... I mean, if someone else went out and made a profile pretending to have been made by and be about you, wouldn't you want legal ability to have it removed and necessary action to prevent the person from doing it again? That seems reasonable to me, even if the profile contained no defamatory information. If the profile was just satirical, like the part about wrestling midgets, fine. But if the profile made statements suggesting that you had engaged in serious wrongdoing of some kind (like pedophilia), then I think it seems reasonable that your legal redress would extend far enough to make it clear to the public that the allegations that floated around were baselessly made by someone other than yourself.

It seems like this student really thinks this is all a joke, though... which will bode poorly for him in the legal system, I think? :(

Sounds like something a character in Law and Order would say. :rolleyes:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't say anything on the internet that you wouldn't say on the phone with the government listening in...

or yell out your back door.

7. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I was reading "The Great Shark Hunt" By Hunter Thompson, and since I am not a hippie child I know very little of the 60s, but I cant believe that Ford friggen PARDONED Nixon, jeez talk about a big ol slap in the face of every American. I think thats when democracy died.

8. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    As for the pardon of Nixon it was needed for closure. Nixon never would have been convicted of everything and then there would have just been a bunch of hate and strife. I almost think that a presidents first act in office should be to pardon his predecessor.

The thing that the student wrote (haven't viewed that page) that would be the worst was the talk about the gay old time with Michael Jackson.

9. jadekitty24 macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

To say a teacher deserves to be shot because he is defending his reputation is the most asinine thing I have ever heard. What is your problem, anyway? I have yet to read exactly what was posted on that site about the teacher, so my opinion as to whether this is overkill or not has not yet been formed. You, however, are saying some ridiculous stuff.

10. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

and I replied with a good hyperbole. too good, cuz it got deleted my bad.

"to be shot" is one of those euphemisms that everyone uses when describing something they disagree with, know what i mean?

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

The national media is who chose to make him a national figure, not the teacher himself. You should wise up to the ways of the world before you start making such naive comments.

The rise of the internet has changed the way we communicate and if the kid was insinuating that the teacher was a child molester then the kid was definitely in the wrong. If he was just poking fun at the teacher then maybe the teacher just needs a thicker skin. Whatever the case, too many people don't realize that they are not free to slander someone just because they're under the age of 18. You don't get ahead in the world by antagonizing someone in public, that's just commone sense.

12. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

I just failed to see anything "slanderous" about anything he could have said.

To see it that way I think is wrong, and yes teachers need a thick skin.

IMO if a teacher is not any good they won't be fired, they'll quit because the students will eat alive any teacher they dont like. You know exactly what I mean, if you went thru public schooling from k-12, youve seen it.

Perhaps I am quick to judge this guy, but "today" is just filled to the brim with peoples and high schools all over-reacting about anything and everything.

13. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And kids who over-react as well. Just something to think about.

14. Desertrat macrumors newbie

And I'm certainly glad that on this forum, all are eligible to cast the first stone at over-reactors.

:D, 'Rat

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

We'll be OK as long as we have your grizzled but steady hand on the tiller, 'Rat.

:)

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Which is why I refuse to post in this thread.

Wait... dammit.