Someone hacked my bank account and bought themselves a month of WOW...

Discussion in 'Games' started by indigoflowAS, Nov 20, 2006.

1. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

So a friend of mine wakes up this morning to find out that someone has gotten into his checking account and bought a month of World of Warcraft. His bank told him to call WOW and see if he could get the money back...the lady on the line from WOW said "our transactions are not refundable." Where does he go from here?

He was robbed and WOW wants nothing of it, can't give him any info on "his" tranaction. The local police isn't gonna give much weight to a $15 crime, or whatever the dollar figure was.

What are your thoughts? Just wanna make this jokester theif's life annoying at least.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't know that you can pay for WoW directly from your checking. you'd have to have a debit/credit card for it to work, which in that case the bank should be the place he should contact about unauthorized purchases and protection.

3. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

It was a transaction from a credit union...Credid...my mistake.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Someone hacked his account and all they took was $15 for a month of WoW?

Either (a) he's telling a story, (b) he's really poor and didn't have much in his checking, or (c) the "hackers" were morons.

If it's true it sucks since he was robbed, and he should be working to close the account or whatever to make sure they don't take anything else. But it just sounds fishy.

5. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Umm...no.

Sounds *very* unlikely that someone would commit fraud for only $15. For example, I was a victim of fraud just a few weeks ago, when some ****** from Australia apparently helped themselves to a US$2600 cash advance from one of my credit cards. That's the kind of money you'd be talking about if someone actually committed fraud.

6. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

The answer is B from emw's post.

seems this cat picked a crappy account to take money from, that illegitimate transaction resulted in an overdraft charge. Kid's perty much broke.

Not sure how it will pan out, but unless he gets keeps at it, this sneaky thief will have earned himself a month of WoW...a real winner if you as me *shifty eyes* I say closing the compromised account is what he should do as well.

7. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Haha, that's great. I've had fraud on my account twice and it's been for about £500 and £800 a pop. Ouch. Shoot your bank.

8. dylan6950204 macrumors member

dylan6950204

that sounds like a funny story and its about as true as chuck norris getting his a$$ kicked

9. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I had my card hacked once and they randomly took small amounts of about $1.50 each time. I guess they thought I would not notice and if i did would not do anything about it as it was such a small amount. However they all appeared on one statement so it was obvious and I called my bank and they immediately cancelled the card and started a new one with the stolen amount set as a credit. I believe my bank acted quickly to refund the money as it was obvious I could not spend $1.50 in Nigeria then 2 hours later spend $1.27 in Turkey. They were transactions where the card was physically used and so must of been cloned.

If your friend spends money on WOW or similar things it may be hard for him to prove it was not him and he may find himself out of pocket.