Someone 'hacked' my Yahoo account

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dreamkatcha, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Dreamkatcha macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

It appears that someone has taken over my Yahoo account by changing the password. Normally the routine to change it back and reclaim my account would be simple - you just enter your date of birth and postcode and request a new password. Problem is, when I signed up I used random profile details to make it harder for someone to steal my account (oh the irony!). Now I'm locked out of my own account, and as usual Yahoo's tech support dept. are useless - you're lucky if you can get a human response at all since they assume everything can be sorted out via auto-responders.

Has this happened to anyone else? What did you do to resolve it?

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

why would someone hack an account? are you sure you just didnt forget the password? i often forget mine...

if it was a random user info in the account, why dont you just register a new one?

3. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

maybe there are emails already in an inbox that he would like to have access to.

4. Dreamkatcha thread starter macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

Why would someone hack an account? Well I haven't got any arch enemies as far as I know, but then some people don't need a reason to be malicious.

No, I didn't forget the password. I login to the account every day so I'm definitely entering the right one. Plus an email was sent to my alternative address to let me know that it had been changed for security reasons.

I could just register a new account, but as is always the way with email, there would be tonnes of people to notify and web sites to update. Another thing - I run a Yahoo Group using that account and so can't admin that without getting this issue resolved.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Wow, that sucks. I run a Yahoo Group too, and I'm a bit paranoid about something like this happening, so I purposely have a second Yahoo identity, and that identity also has administrator privileges for the group. That way, even if one identity gets locked out, I can still get in.

I wish you the best of luck in getting this resolved. :(

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    man that sucks

hope u get back in happened to a friend of mine they never recovered the account

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

clearly it is another group member who is jealous of your power and wanted to stage a coup.

anyway, hope you get it worked out!

8. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

viva la revolucion!

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Lesson for the future: When you use random answers where sites ask questions that are none of their business, keep track of what you said. If a site asks for my zip code and I don't want to be pinpointed, I don't always give my real zip code, but I keep a list in case I have to confirm the info later. It's come in handy a few times.

10. Dreamkatcha thread starter macrumors regular

Dreamkatcha

That's good advice, thanks. I'll do that in future. Still no joy from Yahoo so I may just have to abandon the account as well as the group. Hopefully I'll be able to remember all the sites I've subscribed to using that address so I can re-visit them and edit my profile for each.

It's so frustrating not knowing what they plan to do with it. They could be replying to my friends and acquantancies pretending to be me. If they're so inclined they could be as rude as possible and cause no end of problems. :(

11. indifference macrumors regular

hey I think that, yahoo that can happen when you leave your account not signed out of. So if you do not sign out of your account that will happen

12. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    I use Topeka KS. 66601 :cool:

13. DaiKirai macrumors member

99583 for me: False Pass, Alaska, population 64.

Although one site- might have been MS Passport- checked and complained it wasn't in California... :p

14. mpw Guest

Why not email yourself and ask if you could have your account back or at least ask if they wouldn't mind letting all in your address book know they are an imposter. ;)

Where do you log-in from?

The PC in my local coffee shop always has the last persons MSN/Hotmail/Yahoo page available cause so many people never log-out sometimes you can just hit 'back' and you're in their inbox. I usually just log them out but a couple of times I've not been able to resist send them an email from themselves reminding them to log-out. Maybe copy and pasting the first line from a couple of their recently recieved emails or sending them an email saying "All your money is now in Nigeria"!

15. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

they would still have to reenter the password for your account if they wanted to change it. Even if yo uwere already logged in.

Is it possible you were on an unsecure wireless network and you logged into your account and someone stole your password there.

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I read about identity thieves who set up their own wireless network in coffee shops, airports, and other places where there are already wireless networks. They use strong signals so that people who connect to the Internet are actually going thru the thieves' PC, not the connection provided by the coffee shop. They make their own login screens that look like the real ones. The Internet connection works fine, but they are able to monitor and capture the data that flows by, such as names and passwords, without the victim knowing the difference.

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

How does using random details makes one's account harder to steal?

Even if you get a hold of Yahoo, how are they supposed to identify its really you if you used random details???

This seems sort of self inflicted - consider it a lesson in life.

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

so it was you!! give Dreamkatcha back his account, Peyote. it's not nice to mess with people like that. :D

19. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hehe. At our school iUse MS Paint to make their background a very annoying red+yellow combination that reads "REMEMBER TO LOG OFF!"
    :D

Its pretty funny to add all their programs into the startup folder, too. 5 times each. And all their documents a few times. And heck, might as well add in pinball, solitaire, and minesweeper. With a program that I wrote to clean them all out again..... (just deletes and remakes the startup directory, I love that you can type in Notepad and just rename it .exe)