Someone help me before I go mad!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sheikyabooty, Dec 7, 2006.

1. sheikyabooty macrumors newbie

I have recently purchased a c2d macbook pro, which has been great, until i wanted to install Creative suite CS2. Well lets just say I now want to throw my machine through the window. I used this for work, so its important that it runs smoothly. Whenever I use illustrator, it randomly crashes every bloody time.
    Why, when i have spent so much money on this machine the one thing I want to use it for does'nt work. By the way this is all mac software and not PC.

Can anyone help a poor designer in need!

Oh yes, hi I'm new here and its looks like a really nice forum.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

How much RAM do you have? I believe that CS2 isn't a Universal Binary so it will be running under Rosetta which will seriously decrease it's performance.
    More RAM will help that.

I believe that CS3 is on the horizon and will be a Universal binary.

3. sheikyabooty thread starter macrumors newbie

Its a 2.33mhz with 2 gig of ram, should be plenty!

4. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, that should be plenty. Have you repaired permissions? Have you tried uninstalling CS2 and reinstalling it?

5. sheikyabooty thread starter macrumors newbie

I have installed CS2 about 4 times now, ad i repaired the permissions. I mean it can't be th hardware surely. I am considering reinstalling the os, wise move?

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Hmm, that's a drastic course of action, there are probably other things less severe you can try first. How about creating a new user account and running CS2 from there, see if that makes a difference.

7. sheikyabooty thread starter macrumors newbie

I shall give that a try, has anyone else experience this kind of problem? I knew there was a speed issue with the new macbook pros and Adobe products.

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

The problems is likely not your computer, but the fact that Adobe has been dragging their ****ing heels on getting a universal version of their CS apps out the door.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Well, it's fair to say that Adobe has been dragging its heels. And I don't have an Intel Mac. But... isn't what the OP is describing (crashes with Illustrator every time it's launched) a little over the top? I haven't heard many people complain of problems *that* bad....

10. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

No, and actually I use it every now and again, and although it does take some time to initially load up, once running it's very responsive.

11. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

sorry i can't offer more help than what's already been said (uninstall, reinstall, repair permissions, etc.) but i just wanted to say i think your username is very clever.

12. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Absolutely.. I simply wanted to point out that it was highly unlikely to be a problem with the computer, but more likely something that was installed causing the problem. Be it a 3rd party app or a UI "enhancement" or a problem with Illustrator. I've seen threads before about people complaining bitterly about Illustrator not working well at all. Of course, in this case it could be a corrupt file that the OP is working on and that is why the app constantly crashes.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a good point, too. And of course I didn't mean to attack you, Yellow. :)

I dunno... at some point, I know how much people here generally advise against doing clean installs...but at some point, cut your losses and give it a try. It can't hurt.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I have a C2D MBP and use Illustrator CS2 everyday, it's fine for me, never crashed before. The only 2 programs that crash once in awhile are QuickTime :rolleyes: and AfterEffects.