Someone leeching off my internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wakerider017, Mar 15, 2007.

1. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

Sep 20, 2006
    US of A
    So I was messing around today and opened up this program called Apple Remote Desktop on my Mac. (It pretty much monitors and manages all the computers on my network.)

So I have all my computers set to have Static IP addresses increasing from 2 (ex.,,, etc.)

So today I noticed a device label (This number was automatically assigned by the router)

I went around the house to make sure no one was using a work computer or a friend had brought over a laptop... Nothing was on... So in a panic I shut off the Wifi and the user was dropped.

I couldn't figure out how someone could have gotten through my WPA password protection?

So I just left the Wifi off for the night...

Hopped on my Wii a few minutes ago to check out the weather channel and it said it could not connect to the network..

I had forgotten the Wii connects to my wireless router... Turns out I am just a paranoid dummy.
  2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

Apr 29, 2005
    San Francisco
    You know even if someone was on your network it doesn't mean that they can get to your files on any of your computers. But ultimately, yes you are a paranoid dummy.
  3. neyoung macrumors member

Jan 15, 2007
    Does checking my DHCP clients table daily put me in the same dummy boat as wakerider?
  4. rhoydotp macrumors 6502

Sep 28, 2006
    if someone was on the network which was password protected, it means that they have the potential to get to your files. access is the first line of defense.

just wondering, how can the router assign an IP if you were using static for your machines? if you don't have dhcp disabled, i will definitely try doing that. also, if you don't mind the hassle, change your IPs to a different segment (i.e 192.168.47.x/24, 10.0.29.x/24, etc)
  5. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    Most likely the router assigns fixed IPs for the machines that it knows, and makes up new IP addresses for the machines it doesn't know. On my router, I have MAC filtering on so that only my own machines can get in, but that is set in a different place from the static IP assignment.
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    Glad it turned out to be your Wii and not some evil, WiFi leeching neighbor. :p :D :)
  7. Sherman Homan macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2006
    Most routers can handle DHCP and accept static addresses. In fact, it is a good thing to be able to assign static addresses for networked services like printers and servers, and reserve a pool of DHCP addresses for clients. It does help to separate your local subnet into those two pools. And no, I don't think that it makes you paranoid to check your network for unknown users!