Someone make up a Powerbook rumor

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by afields, Nov 5, 2004.

1. chrisblore macrumors regular

May 10, 2004
    Essex, UK
    Anyone could make up a rumour but the only great one will be the one predicting the release of G5 Powerbooks, which will not happen until at least 2005, as stated by Apple themselves. This in all likelihood will be the next revision of Powerbooks as they are very unlikely to retain the extension of the old G4 architecture that Motorola themselves are ending/have ended development of.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I know a guy, who knows a guy, who bribed a guy, that knows a guy, that knows a guy that's actually a woman, that knows a walrus called bob, that let it slip that...

...there's no freakin' PB updates until 2005!!!!! :eek:

...but, when they come, they will have built in dynamically expanding 30" LCD's, 12x4GHz G5's, 2x6800 Mobiles, and standard 32GB RAM (DDR100000).
  3. Will Curran macrumors regular

Will Curran

Oct 23, 2004
    Phoenix AZ
  4. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    ...Not to mention the fact that they will only weigh 8 ounces and have a battery half-life of 270 years, thanks to the use of dilithium crystals.

I also heard that the case uses carbon-nanotube technology creating a structure that can stop armor piercing 20mm shells.

Can't wait!!
  5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    The laptop case will also be made up of nanites (sp?) that grip together, if the case gets damaged it rebuilds itself :cool:
  6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    i heard from a dog, thats owner takes care of the lawn at 1 Infinity Loop that the next power books will be ultra tiny, using nano technology and brainwaves to process info driectly from your brain! no need to type! no need to see a screen because it will feed it right into your thought process

on the down side i hear it makes you tired because it currently runs off of your heart, might have some other bugs in it too

:D :D
  7. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

Feb 4, 2004
    West Valley City, Utah
    It will also sport the brand new Super-Duper Drive which will have 100X quad layered DVD Burning and a backlit keyboard whos light will put the light on top of the Luxor Hotel to shame....and all of this can be yours for $999.99
  8. mslifkin macrumors regular

May 14, 2004
    New Jersey
    Wow, you know Bob the Walrus? Cool! :D

9. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You mean you don't know bob the walrus!? :eek:

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Steve Jobs is going to quit his job at Apple/Pixar and become CEO of Disney.

Especially since the last of the living Beatles will soon become owners/managers of Apple Computer.
  11. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    As it turns out, I'm actually a long lost step-cousin of Jobs himself. So, the rumor is that new PB's are coming out next week. They're all dual core G4's. :D :D :D

Hey, they only said that there would be no G5 PB's this year, didn't they?
  12. jeremy.king macrumors 603

Jul 23, 2002
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    In an attempt to gain popularity with the younger, hipper crowd. The powerbook G4 line of portable computers will be renamed to "P-O DC G Fo' Shizzle"
  13. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    PB line will be discontinued in favor of the all new PowerPad - dual dual-core 2.5GHz G5, 1/2" thin, weighs less than 14 ounces, projector display scales up to 47" widescreen, 250 GB hdd at 7200rpm, AExtreme card, BT module, backlit keyboard, 256 MB GPU....still ships with 256MB RAM.
  14. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    They are actually discontinuing the Powerbook line as we know it. Instead, following on the heels of the rabidly successful iPod Photo, Apple will be releasing the iPod Jumbo in late 2005. The Jumbo will come in a 15" and 17" model

The Jumbo, which will look remarkably like the iMac G5 without the stand, will forgo the "Finder" and instead stick with the proven iPod user interface. Although focus groups have complained about replacing the keyboard and mouse with a click wheel, Apple has promised an improved speech interface, and has been working closely with third-party vendors such as Belkin and Griffin to develop "reasonably priced" add-ons to enable graphic design applications.

Needless to say, music capabilities will be key on this model, with iTunes being permanently enabled in all user's startup items. In fact, it is rumored that you won't be able to start up the iPod Jumbo without headphones or an external speaker attached.

Not wanting to leave the Jumbo out in the cold, they have modified the iPod Sock concept and will be releasing the iPod Robe, a svelte number that can be slipped onto the iPod Jumbo to keep it warm.

Finally, Apple will have an iPod to support video applications. I don't know about you, but I can't wait!
  15. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    ok, don't quote me

motorola, in response to intel's centrino revolution, will have a new low voltage G4 chip that apple will use allowing the new powerbook to get 7 hours of battery time on the 15" inch model

this will allow apple to stay with motorola on mobile chips for the next two years

the consumer, having flocked to centrino/pentium m with the lower voltage, lower clock speed, better performace, is not looking for raw clock speed anymore in a laptop...battery time is king and motorola has convinced apple inc of this with their new low voltage G4 chip
  16. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004
    Alright confession time.

I don't really have an iBook. See that was a cover up.

I have a powerbook G5 right now. Not even out on the market yet.

How you say?

Let's just say I know some people, that know some people, that stole some ****.

17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    Can't really look to Freescale for solutions, the fancy new processors they announced don't start "sampling" til next year, and the dual-core is sampling during the summer.

So another speed bump or a switch/bump to the 7448.

As far as the 970 goes, the 970FX may be a lost cause with the "fixes" coming in the 970GX (increased L2 cache CPU).
  18. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Here's a PowerBook rumor:

Apple will release only speed-bumped dual-core G4 PowerBooks in 2005, and won't have a PowerBook G5 ready until MWSF 2006.

Oh, wanted a POSITIVE rumor. :p :D
  19. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

Jun 1, 2004
    California Coast
    The real deal

My brother-in-law's half-sister's uncle is a trash collector in the neighborhood where Steve Jobs spends his weekends - and - he says he found a scrap of paper in the trash that says something about the new G5 PowerBook having something in the Airport card that actually DISABLES any Windows machine running XP within 37.5 feet of the Mac.

It was either that or a receipt for take food at a Chinese restaurant.
  20. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Sep 22, 2004
    Here's a rumour starter ... during the last week Apple retailers in Melbourne (Australia) have been bundling Airport Express with Powerbooks. The last time they bundled up other products with PBs was in March when they offered 3G 20Gb iPods for AUD100 with the purchase of a PB. That was when I bought my PB and was just before the last performance bump to 1.5MHz ... oops ... GHz (showing my age there ...)
  21. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    The 7448 isn't going to be sampled intill '05 as well. :p

rumor: Apple will kill or cripple the 12" Powerbook with a 1.5 Ghz G4-. This is not like any other G4. Not even to the current 7447A 1.5 Ghz G4. This G4- has a 50 stage pipeline, uses 120 Watts of power, and is slower then the original Macintosh. Which will force the user to buy the 15" or 17" Powerbook G5+. The G5+ is the PPC 980 which is based off the POWER5 and is dual core. The speeds will be 2.8 Ghz or 3 Ghz. The battery life will be 20 hours with everything on(like screen on the brightest setting, ae on, bluetooth on, CPU on highest, and so fourth). The G5+ will be cooled by 3 fans which each of them in their respective cooling zone. One near the G5+, another near the HD, and the other near the GPU. You have 2 choices for the GPU. The 6800 or the X800. The starting price will be at $1799 with the low end 15" pbook G5. The Powermacs will be updated at the same time with the same specs so you desktop lovers don't feel left out.
  22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    At least Freescale started changing the signs on the chip fabs around here, so at least they're getting something done.
  23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    A friend of mine who is a commercial fisherman just came back from a trip; He claims to have caught several underlings of this shadowy *Bob the Walrus* figure in the Bering Sea. Under torture they have revealed that...

Tiger is a blind. It appears that the next version of OS X will actually be a multi-platform virus that compiles a version of OS X 10.4 "Borg" (Apple ended the big cat theme here) onto any hardware it comes in contact with. Soon every electronic device in the world will be subject to the whims of Cupertino. Muhahahahahahahahaha!!
  24. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003

Due to issues with finding an appropriate processor for upcoming PB revisions, Apple will release a new line of PB's @ current processor speeds, but with an improved GPU, included Airport Extreme, Bluetooth and upgraded monitor. They will also bring back the processor on a daughtercard, with the stipulation that buyers will be able to send in their PB's in the future for a processor upgrade at the time Apple are able to provide a reasonable one. GPU will also be upgradeable.

Will happen soon. Or not.