Someone mentions manufacturing jobs.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Leo Hubbard, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Leo Hubbard macrumors newbie

First off disclaimer. Our manufacturing jobs should be going down because we should be graduating to high tech and the so called information age. But this news story says different.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1519&ncid=749&e=6&u=/afp/20040802/bs_afp/us_economy

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

It sure does seem like more and more of these indicators are looking up; I'll grant you that.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

after a period of record decline, yes.

if, by november, we can get to net zero on the number of jobs lost/created under bush, you'll see some record job growth numbers for summer/fall '04. but it'd still be net zero, 'cuz it's all relative.

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think Bush inhibited the recovery, but all things considered, the economy does oscillate on a relatively cyclical pattern.

Anyway, at least one economist I know believes that cutting taxes and raising spending hurts the economy, instead of causing the traditional tax-cut stimulus. And that seems to make sense to me.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

And even to some rich guys like Warren Buffett and...well, didn't even George Bush the First refer to that as "voodoo economics"? :D

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

How much of this apparent boom is due to the injection of $100bn+ into the economy to pay for the Great Adventure?

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Good point! I'm sure weapons manufacturers are hiring! Tell that to the rust belt. I mean, they use metal in weapons, right? So everyone should have a job, right?