Someone please help me? I can't get my airport network to work for my business.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ITR 81, Sep 7, 2004.

1. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

I have a new PM which came with extra ethernet card installed.

I'm connecting to the net via BB which works using the normal ethernet port on the G5. I have a cat 5 going from my modem to the normal std ethernet port of the G5 and another Cat 5 going to the extra ethernet card Apple installed..and thats connected to the ethernet port of the base station.

I can access the base station from my G5 and configured a "Tan" network on it with WEP pwd. I told it I connect to the net via ethernet...though when I connect through my DSL BB line it's a PPPoE. I actually have tried both ways but none seem to work.

When I'm on my PB I can see the network and I then enter the PWD and I connect but the problem is when connected it will say connected to the internet via ethernet but I can never pull anything up on the net. And if I set it to the PPPoE it just sits and sits trying to connect but never doing anything.

Please help I need to get this working for my new business.

Please tell me if I need another DSL modem or what...or do I need to configure something differently.

TIA

I will do whatever i takes to get this thing working.

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

well, you could look this up on Apple's KnowlegeBase.

and you've RTFM, right? :p

well, i have no idea what a 'tan' network is, so you've lost me there.

but just to clarify something... is this the way you've got everything connected:

Broadband modem > G5 ethernet port 1 > G5 ethernet port 2 > Basestation

maybe you could simplify things by connecting the Basestation straight to the modem?

3. ITR 81 thread starter macrumors 65816

I would connect directly to the base station from the modem but we only have one ethernet port. Do I need one with two ethernet ports??

It's on those DSL offer DSL modems..

TIA

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

Your solution may work, but you would have to make sure that both ethernet cards are active, connect to the DSL modem with one, then go to System Prefs > Sharing > Internet and share your internet connection through the other port. Connect the Base Station to that port and have it act as a bridge, distributing IP addresses to other computers.

Note that this Internet Sharing will sometimes cause network issues (as the warning you get when you start it will tell you) with your ISP.

It sounds like your best bet is to purchase an inexpensive wired router for $40 or so (Linksys, NetGear, D-Link, etc.). Connect the router to your DSL modem and have the router secure the IP address through the PPPoE connection and then distribute private internal IP addresses through DHCP.

The Airport Base Station can then be configured as a bridge to the network through one of the wired ports, and your Mac (as well as others) could connect through other ports on the router (generally there are 4).

5. mkubal macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind that your modem probably "links" itself to the first thing you plug it into. I say probably because this has been the case with all of the modems I've encountered. This means that if you plugged it into anything before the base station it will not work with the base station without being reset. Resetting can generally be accomplished by leaving the modem unplugged from the power for a minute or so (probably less, but just to be safe). After that, power it back up and make sure the first thing you plug the modem into is the base station. This is assuming that you're going to plug it directly into the basestation and not route it through the G5.

Good Luck,
    Matt