Someone please help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by macfan76, Apr 4, 2004.

1. macfan76 macrumors member

Hi, I am a new Mac user. I was wondering if some of you really helpful Mac people can help me out. First off, I want to download Open Office, I like the idea it’s free and does exactly what I want. I installed it and it gave me a folder with a bunch of files I didn't know what to do with. Can someone please tell me the correct way to download Open Office step by step on OSX and if it’s worth it. Does anyone know of a better free word processor for OSX? Second, I have a quick questions about viruses on OSX. If I get a virus that affects Windows machines on my Mac could it possibly spread to my windows machine on my same network? Is there anyway my Windows machine could be affected if I open a Windows virus on a Mac? Thanks for all the responses, it is much appreciated! :D

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/ooo-osx_downloads.html#download

Pick one of the sites and download the ooo103darwingm.dmg

Do you also have X11 installed on your machine. Should be in Applications, Utilities folder. If no, download and install that from apples website, or from your OS cdroms, should be on the last CD.

Now if you have gone though the setup and did the installation, you probably already have X11 installed because I think it checks for it. Well, there should be a folder in your Applications folder for OO (stands for Open Office). Now in there, you should find that app. Double click and it should start X11 and start OO since OO needs X11 to run right now.

I don't know of any other free word processors, but buy the MS office now, you will get the 2004 version as a free upgrade ,if you qualify for it, when it comes out.

OS X doesn't get virii, but you can still pass them along. If someone gives you an attachment, and its has a virus in it, who ever you sent it do will get it. So yes, you can end up spreading a virus on accident, but you yourself wont get hurt by it. There are virus programs out there for the Mac, but it basically just checks for Windows virii, which is a good thing. You don't want to be the one to send a virus around when you don't know it.

So get some virus stuff, and help keep something from spreading around if you can.

3. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Well the OS X port is still in beta... but I really liked Abiword much better than OpenOffice back when I used a Linux desktop. Fast, good looking, and seemed to do a better job of converting Word docs (vs. OO 1.0.1; haven't used OO 1.1).

http://www.abisource.com/