someone please!!!!! (iPod Nano arrived but wasn't ordered)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Trout74, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Trout74 macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    this is going to sound WAY weird. But I got home from work today and on my door step was a package from Fed Ex.

I opened it, and it contained a iPod Nano. I neither ordered or paid for this Nano, nor did my wife or my parents. IM an adult so my parents would not be buying me a nano any how.

it came from

2811 Laguna Blvd
    Elk Grove California

I am leery to keep it, I maight send it back to them....what the hell, why would anyone or any company send me a free nano??

this is no joke im baffled/excited/and weirded out!

2. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    A quick Google on that address led me to a thread on another forum that discussed a free iPod referral scheme (tut tut). A member had apparently received one, the return shipping address matched the one on your package. Was it actually addressed to you in person? I suspect that if not, and you've not taken part in any of these schemes, Fed Ex have made a bit of a boo boo.
  3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

Oct 7, 2003

listen just keep it fed ex have no proof you received it
    i know its immoral but hey if you dont want it that much ill have it :p
  4. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    guys it is addressed to me, my name is spelled correctly, my address is correct and everything. I did a google of the address as well and got a company called Gratis something or other. They tout free apple stuff. All of that is fine, but I never tried to get a free ipod, or signed up for anything. I have no E-mail records from that compony, I called Credit card ( it has no charges ) it is really wierd.

ipod nano is cool, but Karma is a bitch, I jsut dont see how anyone could accidently ship me a free 250$ device.
  5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Apple has a huge campus in Elk Grove California, it probably is a Applecare return or order that somehow went to the wrong address. That address is for Apple Computer Inc. (ACI) in Elk Grove CA.

I recommend calling Fed Ex and letting them know that a package was mistakenly delivered to your house, if you don't this could be treated as a criminal act, i.e. Theft. They will eventually come back for it, but i wouldn't wait for them to come knocking, i would be proactive and call Fed Ex and tell them about their delivery error.

Edit: try calling here Apple Computer, Inc, 2911 Laguna Boulevard, Elk Grove, 95758, (916)399-5246 as grabbed from the Elk Grove Chamber Of Commerce The Campus is huge (i've passed by it many times) and im sure spans many addresses
  6. jakochampolska macrumors 6502

Jul 31, 2005
    That adress is the same address that my powerbook came from a day ago. and I ordered it online at Maybe Apple just loves you?
    Lucky guy!
  7. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    That is the exact same address my PowerMac came from.
  8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Hmm... the address has cropped up on these forums before... does Apple have an office at that address?

EDIT: Ah, it looks like they do.
  9. hasselhoff macrumors newbie

Feb 6, 2004

Just friggin' keep it! I don't see what karma has to do with anything... there's a free iPod nano in a box addressed to you. How is this even a question?
  10. Danksi macrumors 68000

Oct 3, 2005
    Nelson, BC. Canada
    Keep it.

It IS Xmas time after all... :D

Just be prepared to double check your credit accounts in the next few days/weeks - in case you do somehow get charged.

EDIT: Silly question - you're not in Alberta or BC, Canada or you? Telus are doing a promo, a 'free' Nano if you sign up for 3years ADSL. Just a thought.
  11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    odd indeed that is addressed to you and everything.

i would keep it, anyone else you know who could have sent it your way?
  12. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    If it is indeed a mistake... If you keep it, the person who ordered it is going to get a new one anyways... Its Apple/fed-ex's mistake. not yours, or the person who ordered it.
  13. khisayruou macrumors 6502a

Aug 21, 2004
    Im thinking the same thing, perhaps it's a gift from someone you haven't thought about or someone is not telling you that they really did get it for you!
  14. adk macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2005
    Stuck in the middle with you
    The even wierder thing is that it's addressed to him.

Trout74 - Does it have a return address or anything? Otherwise you might wanna try calling fedex and see if they know who sent it.
  15. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Do the right thing, use the number i gave in my last post or call Fed Ex, something isnt right about this. If anything if it is meant for you Apple should be able to clear things up for you.

Keeping it seems to be a bit irresponsible given the situation, i think contacting Apple and/or Fed Ex is the right thing to do

16. GreenDice macrumors member

Oct 5, 2005
    Didn't Apple have a promo to giveway a nano when you buy a Mac?

Did you buy a Mac during promotion period?
  17. Trout74 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2005
    figured it out

sorry for the confusion!!!

My NEIGHBOR sent it to my address so THEIR kids would not see it come for Christmas!! I opend the box and the neighbor girls ( 12 yrs old ) name was lazered on the back of it, so i carefully repackaged it and put on the table, now I feel stupid, but At least I know who sent it to me, and why.

fire alarm over, there is nothing to see here.
  18. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005

Did they pre-warn you and you forgot, or was this a "oh by the way" sort of thing? haha gotta love people sometimes :D

On another note at least we know the honest people from the ones that wouldn't return your property if they found it....

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    If you were waiting for your iPod nano to return and it didn't because someone kept it and you learnt of it, I assume you wouldn't have any problem with it, right?
  20. nichos macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2004
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Agreed, not because it's apple (though, how many people would be laughing if it was MS Office or something?) but because karma is a bitch;)
  21. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    This has happened to me before. Amazon once delivered a package to me, in my name to my address that I hadn't ordered. None of the stuff was in a Wishlist and although some of the items I liked (about 6 of them), the others were obviously not for me.

I called Amazon but because I hadn't ordered it, couldn't give them the name of the orderer or any of the cc details, they couldn't help me since it was addressed to me. They told me to just keep it...

Given that these things take a couple of days to ship though, I'm surprised that your neighbour didn't tell you ahead of time!
  22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    Yeah, keep it. It was even addressed to you. That's not a "mistake." If it had someone elses name on it, then sure, it's a FedEx mistake.

Keep the thing.
  23. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    Uh, its the neighbor's kid's Christmas present.
    Don't tell me everyone STILL thinks he should keep it just because it was addressed to him?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  24. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Nah keep it! Bugger the kids! he he :D Though it would be weird having an iPod with some girl's name on it. I guess you could say you name your iPods like BB King names his guitars.
  25. RobHague macrumors 6502

Jul 8, 2005
    Of course not :eek:, it has the next door neighbours little girls name lazered on the back... he would look silly. If it hadent been personalized then maybe ;) finders keepers isnt it. Although... maybe you can get some wet and dry? ;) ;)

I remember the time i found a new TV in a store, they tried to tell me it was shop lifting??? Hey if they leave stuff out in the middle of the floor who isnt going to try and walk off with it... pffff

Im joking btw! Try a power grinder instead :p