Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Could someone with Safari please go to http://www.mtv.co.uk and tell me whether you can scroll down. I can't, and I'm wondering whether it's Safari, or my computer. IE works fine, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to actually browse with it!

celaurie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Re: Someone please test with Safari...

Originally posted by Nermal
Could someone with Safari please go to http://www.mtv.co.uk and tell me whether you can scroll down. I can't, and I'm wondering whether it's Safari, or my computer. IE works fine, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to actually browse with it!

I think it's Safari, I have a 1025 x 768 resoultion screen and cannot scroll down the page.

zeethebrain

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2003
UK
Yep, its definately Safari, i have a 12" iBook and theres no chance of my screen res going bigger than 1024x76whatever. But wait.....whats that little bug in the top corner? Maybe if we all report this to apple then something might happen, or they'll buy out MTV and make a new site! lol.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
You should write to MTV as well. Some sites that write IE specific code do not play well with other browsers; unless their browser is written the same way.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Originally posted by mikeyredk
i don't need to scroll cause my screen res is 1920X1440

Really? What monitor do you have? I never have heard a monitor with 1440 as the height, certainly not an Apple monitor.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Yeah, that site has issues. It's missing an HTML Doctype declaration and its CSS file doesn't validate.

Bad web design continues...

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
OK, well I've sent off a bug report to Apple, and I'll write to MTV about it. That's my first look at their site and I doubt I'll be coming back with it behaving like that, but I'll be "good" and let them know that it's got problems.

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Writing to MTV was a mission-and-a-half! I had to use IE to get to the "Contact MTV" page, then copy the link into Safari in order to see what I was typing! IE decided to put my entire message into capitals, which resulted in some of my words going off the side of the page. However I finally succeeded, but with that monstrosity of a site, I don't think I'll be coming back!

bellis1

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2003
ok how about this bug

Try this webesite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in any scientific search term. Even "macintosh" will work because it is probably someone's name. And then try to print. I have tried it on a variety of printers and it will not print. I would'nt care except this search engine is what all scientists use to do their research. It contains every published scientific article with any medical relatedness. Perhaps it is just me. However, if it is not just me then there are a lot of researchers out there who have to rely on another browser.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
ESPN.com

ESPN.com had a similar not-able-to-scroll-down problem. I used the bug report feature of Safari and a few days later, the problem is gone...

I don't think Apple updated Safari, but perhaps they can inform the webmasters of problematic sites so they can correct them? I imagine a notice of complaint would carry a lot more weight coming from a company rather than from individuals?

Nermal

Original poster
Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Re: ok how about this bug

Originally posted by bellis1
Try this webesite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in any scientific search term. Even "macintosh" will work because it is probably someone's name. And then try to print. I have tried it on a variety of printers and it will not print. I would'nt care except this search engine is what all scientists use to do their research. It contains every published scientific article with any medical relatedness. Perhaps it is just me. However, if it is not just me then there are a lot of researchers out there who have to rely on another browser.

I haven't tried physically printing, but I can successfully make a PDF.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.