Someone please test with Safari...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Nermal, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Could someone with Safari please go to www.mtv.co.uk and tell me whether you can scroll down. I can't, and I'm wondering whether it's Safari, or my computer. IE works fine, but I'm not going to stoop so low as to actually browse with it!

2. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

i don't need to scroll cause my screen res is 1920X1440

3. celaurie macrumors 6502a

celaurie

Re: Someone please test with Safari...

I think it's Safari, I have a 1025 x 768 resoultion screen and cannot scroll down the page.

4. zeethebrain macrumors newbie

Yep, its definately Safari, i have a 12" iBook and theres no chance of my screen res going bigger than 1024x76whatever. But wait.....whats that little bug in the top corner? Maybe if we all report this to apple then something might happen, or they'll buy out MTV and make a new site! lol.

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

You should write to MTV as well. Some sites that write IE specific code do not play well with other browsers; unless their browser is written the same way.

6. synthetickittie macrumors regular

7. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

Really? What monitor do you have? I never have heard a monitor with 1440 as the height, certainly not an Apple monitor.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Yeah, that site has issues. It's missing an HTML Doctype declaration and its CSS file doesn't validate.

Bad web design continues...

9. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

OK, well I've sent off a bug report to Apple, and I'll write to MTV about it. That's my first look at their site and I doubt I'll be coming back with it behaving like that, but I'll be "good" and let them know that it's got problems.

10. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Writing to MTV was a mission-and-a-half! I had to use IE to get to the "Contact MTV" page, then copy the link into Safari in order to see what I was typing! IE decided to put my entire message into capitals, which resulted in some of my words going off the side of the page. However I finally succeeded, but with that monstrosity of a site, I don't think I'll be coming back!

11. bellis1 macrumors 6502

ok how about this bug

Try this webesite:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

and type in any scientific search term. Even "macintosh" will work because it is probably someone's name. And then try to print. I have tried it on a variety of printers and it will not print. I would'nt care except this search engine is what all scientists use to do their research. It contains every published scientific article with any medical relatedness. Perhaps it is just me. However, if it is not just me then there are a lot of researchers out there who have to rely on another browser.

12. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

ESPN.com

ESPN.com had a similar not-able-to-scroll-down problem. I used the bug report feature of Safari and a few days later, the problem is gone...

I don't think Apple updated Safari, but perhaps they can inform the webmasters of problematic sites so they can correct them? I imagine a notice of complaint would carry a lot more weight coming from a company rather than from individuals?

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah that is bad.

Report bug.

14. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Re: ok how about this bug

I haven't tried physically printing, but I can successfully make a PDF.