Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

olletsocmit

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
USA
ok guys. I have looked online and have not found any info really. I am looking for a company who can do some custom work to the bottom of my MacBook Pro case. I want someone to cut some slots in the bottom for better air flow. Anyone know of a company or someone who can do this. I want it done right with a CNC machine and not a drill or some home DIY thing.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Any machine shop will be able to do it. Since it's a 1 off piece you want CNC'd you'll get charged an arm and a leg for it though. If you cannot give them an engineering drawing they'll probably charge you to make it for you as well.

You'd be surprised at what a skilled metalworker can do with a drill.

Jozone

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
I would strongly advise against doing this -- if you feel really fired up about it however BUY A REPLACEMENT BOTTOM CASE FROM eBay. That way, if things don't turn out how you would have liked, you still have the original bottom case with a matching serial number for your machine.

If you were doing this for cosmetics I might be more supportive - however I think the R&D that goes into Apple's thermodynamics for these machines exceeds cutting some holes in the bottom.

Reactions: simonsi
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.