Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Hey,

So over the last couple of says someone has been trying to airplay to my AppleTV. It appears onscreen with a four digit code - interrupting whatever I'm watching.

Its happening more and more.

Network is password protected, AppleTV is connected to it, Network interface page shows the devices on the network (my MacBook, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV and my other half iPhone, and MacBook).

I just don't know how its happened, all I know its appears as "Caroline's iPhone"

Any idea?

Duncan Garnett

macrumors newbie
Mar 7, 2014
Hey,

So over the last couple of says someone has been trying to airplay to my AppleTV. It appears onscreen with a four digit code - interrupting whatever I'm watching.

Network is password protected, AppleTV is connected to it, Network interface page shows the devices on the network (my MacBook, iPad, iPhone, AppleTV and my other half iPhone, and MacBook).

I just don't know how its happened, all I know its appears as "Caroline's iPhone"

Any idea?

Why don't you do a letterbox drop in the immediate area, with a letter explaining what's happening. I'm sure this person ("Caroline's iPhone") will contact you. They can't be that far away (wifi/bluetooth signal isn't that strong). Good luck :)

rolsskk

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2008
Hey,

Any idea?

Sounds like your network's been compromised somehow. Review who you've allowed access to, if you've even told them the password, and then change your password(s). Additionally, block her iPhone MAC address to prevent her from connecting the network again. Or better yet, don't broadcast your network ID.

MaCfAnSu

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2008
Also, why not change the name of your Apple TV to something "Caroline" will realize is not her Apple TV.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Hey,

Any idea?

Are you in an apartment? Duplex?

I think in addition to searching for AirPlay devices on the connected wifi network, AirPlay can also directly connect to aTV 3 (rev 2) and aTV 4 (using Bluetooth to locate & wifi to transmit, similar to iOS continually features.)

If someone is close enough, your aTV might appear as an AirPlay destination even if they are not on your network. The range would be limited, probably the next apartment or above/below.
[doublepost=1468363368][/doublepost]You could try the verification requirement to eliminate that person from trying to connect (I think).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202618

Set up Device Verification
To set up a requirement for a one-time onscreen passcode for all AirPlay-enabled devices, use Device Verification.

On Apple TV (4th generation), go to Settings > AirPlay and select Require Device Verification. On Apple TV (2nd or 3rd generation), go to Settings > AirPlay > Security and select Require Device Verification.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Next time it happens, Airdrop a note to Caroline. She probably doesn't realize she's connecting to your TV.

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Invite her over for a glass of wine and a movie. Hey... She owns an Apple TV.... So you have something in common. Could be the start of something beautiful

Best reply yet

So I've actually changed all my network settings and password, stopped broadcasting the network names. From there I've seen that the only device on that network has been my own MacBook and Phillips HUE.

So my iPhone, at this time only showing 4G but the WIFI was on - tapping Airplay showed "Apple TV (2)" -- When WIFI was turned off everything goes disappears.

I'm wondering if this "Apple TV (2)" actually belongs to Caroline and if so.... I still don't get how she can see mine and I can see hers.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
I'm wondering if this "Apple TV (2)" actually belongs to Caroline and if so.... I still don't get how she can see mine and I can see hers.

There's a chance her couch is on the other side of the wall from your TV, so 2 feet. Which would mean your couch and her TV are on the opposite sides of the room form the shared wall.
Meaning bluetooth will reach for her phone, but not yours.

http://www.appletvhacks.net/2014/09/25/peer-to-peer-airplay-on-apple-tv-3

Go into the settings and label your aTV "not Caroline's aTV"

Reactions: puckhead193

rockyromero

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2015
Also, why not change the name of your Apple TV to something "Caroline" will realize is not her Apple TV.
Hmmmm.

Consider: "Hola Chiquita" for an ATV name.

If she still connects, you will know that she is bilingual.

And that she is purposely infiltrating your space.

Or just enjoy whatever she is trying to share with you?

Reactions: profets and twhart

ColdSpringHarbour

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2016
Hey,

Any idea?

Today I bought an Apple TV 4 and while watching Netflix I get a message saying Airplay Passcode CAROLINE yesyouarecorrect@gmail.com code 1516, so thought I'd google it and here you are. Is this some well hidden Russian hack? Or are you my neighbor and Caroline is too? I mean.....what's going on here?

HelixOmnimedia

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
Traveling The World
Today I bought an Apple TV 4 and while watching Netflix I get a message saying Airplay Passcode CAROLINE yesyouarecorrect@gmail.com code 1516, so thought I'd google it and here you are. Is this some well hidden Russian hack? Or are you my neighbor and Caroline is too? I mean.....what's going on here?

Very strange indeed. Although Caroline seems to have moved on or she's not using her AppleTV or iPhone, hasn't happened in a month or so.

YodasMaster

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
So, I'm picking up my neighbors Apple TV even though we are both on our own secure networks. How is this happening? If I unplug the Ethernet from my modem to my router his Apple TV disappears.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Invite her over for a glass of wine and a movie. Hey... She owns an Apple TV.... So you have something in common. Could be the start of something beautiful

This sounds like the premise of a 2016 romantic comedy

When helix met Caroline

AirPlay in Seattle

Hahahahahah

Hmmmm.

Consider: "Hola Chiquita" for an ATV name.

If she still connects, you will know that she is bilingual.

And that she is purposely infiltrating your space.

Or just enjoy whatever she is trying to share with you?

This - turn off the password restriction and see what she's trying to share with you!

teqteq

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
After wasting a couple of hours trying to find evidence of my neighbour accessing my network, and finding out that he did no such thing, I thought it'd be worth dredging up this old thread for the benefit of others.

On my Apple TV 4 with tvOS 12.1.2, I found the setting that allows this to occur.

Settings > AirPlay > Allow Access > Also Allow Nearby to AirPlay > On

Turn this off and it should prevent it from occurring.

I feel so bad for feeling so suspicious of my neighbour. I wasted hours trawling through logs and forums trying to find evidence of his nefarious activities. Turns out he just got curious and tried to connect to my Apple TV that I'd accidentally made visible :-(

On the plus side I found out what an unsecure piece of **** my Netgear router is (no encryption on the admin portal, so had he been on my network and sniffing my packets I would have given him my router admin password too). Oh and telnet enabled and i can't disable it. TELNET!!! WTF NETGEAR???

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
Settings > AirPlay > Allow Access > Also Allow Nearby to AirPlay > On

Turn this off and it should prevent it from occurring.
Would be interesting to know, how does Apple(TV) define the "Nearby".
I would have imagined that it uses the Bluetooth LTE beacon for this (just as with aTV setup with iPhone or Mac unlock with Apple Watch or Handover).
But that would mean that your unexpected guest would need to be physically close to your aTV.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Would be interesting to know, how does Apple(TV) define the "Nearby".
Most likely, nearby means someone within wifi range. It's a direct device to device connection, that doesn't require a network of any sort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.