Someone's trying to scam me on Ebay.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by sjjordan, Aug 18, 2006.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

So I listed a projector on ebay to sell and someone bought it through the "buy it now" option. They then, in very broken english, told me they were going to paypal me the money and then I receieved a paypal payment notice (see attachment).

They said they wanted me to send them my physical address so they could pick up the package. I'm thinking of giving them my work address and packing up and sending them a box full of bricks.

I haven't responded yet. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Lau Guest

Hang on, they're stupid enough to send you a fake paypal payment and then pick it up in person? :p

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

How will you get paid without a tracking number? I think you have to ship. :)

Errrr, what's up with that silly contact address in the notification email? Report it to eBay and walk away.

4. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Let them collect it, and have the police waiting. :)

Also, contact eBay about getting it relisted free of charge. :)

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

There might have more behind that "giving of address"......better to be safe than sorry.

Or maybe a beat down is in store

Bless

6. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Hover over the hyperlinks and see what address the links go to. It should go to a https://www.paypal.com or something similar. If it goes to some http://xxxxxxxx/www.paypal.com (where xxxxxx is the ip address) then it's fake or they're phishing for your paypal account id and password.

7. dcv macrumors G3

Er, that's just a spoof email; they've misspelt "immediately" for one thing...

Never click on the email links. Go directly to paypal.com and check your account from there.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Indeed - a payment note that says the seller won't be paid unless he gives them a tracking number. Which he can't if they pick it up.

I wonder who this works on?

9. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

They want to email me a shipping label and then fedex is going to pick it up.

I already contacted ebay about it and got a refund. Now the projector is back on Ebay and I'm back where I started.

10. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

11. Lau Guest

Ah, I see. Probably best not to arrest Fedex. :p A box of bricks sounds amusing to me. But I would definitely use an address that can't be traced to you – definitely not home, and even work I would say is a bit dodgy. Although it would be funny, you don't want to end up with the Mafia after you or something. :D

12. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Don't send bricks, send something lighter (and therefore cheaper)

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

You missed a great opportunity to give the fedex man a P-P-P-Projector! :D

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For those who missed the reference, see here.

15. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

Personally, I'd try to nail the sucker for trying to scam me. The more scammers get nailed, the more people will think twice before trying it.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I agree. I totally would have boxed up a few cinder blocks and let the sumbitch pay for them to be shipped to Africa.

17. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

The lure of easy money is what motivates these scammers. No amount of getting even will stop them. Just be vigilante and educated is all that is required. But sometimes you have to wonder the great lengths some of these people go to rip another person off, when the energy can be put towards legitimate ways of profiting.

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends, if the scammer is paying shipping costs, send bricks :D

19. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Good times :D Yeah send him a box of bricks.

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Was that a Freudian slip there? "Vigilant" is what I think you meant... "vigilante" is quite the opposite of what I think you meant. ;)

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

If you send someone a box of bricks, aren't you committing fraud?

And yes, I realize that the chances of a scammer busting you for fraud are remote, but I would imagine you open yourself up to liability if you attempt to take the law into you own hands?

22. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

You're no fun at all.

And like anyone in Nigeria is actually going to try to use the law (which they obviously have NO respect for) to come after someone in the US who counterduped them after they tried to dupe someone out of an expensive piece of consumer electronics.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh I'm sure the risk is low. I just tend to like my illegal revenge plots to be a little more untracable... :D

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

If the person scamming you never actually paid for the object, it's not fraud, is it? You sent them a free box of bricks.

Now if they receive the bricks, then legitamitely pay for the computer, then it becomes fraud :eek: