Something Completley Messed Up!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Patmian212, May 20, 2005.

1. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Something really horrible just happened. It is 12:38 am and it happened approximatley 2 hours ago.

It is my friends birthday(turning 17). We organized a huge party for him at this public park. We go everything we needed to create a great party. We got booze, soft drinks, ice, and music. We were having a really good time. My good friend Geoff got a little tipsy and decided to show us his break dancing skills. We were having a real blast, when all of a sudden we hear Geoff scream. Geoff's left hand was bleeding. He said he stabbed himself with a needle on the ground while break dancing! It was an injection, we assume from a junkie(a needle in a dark park). The needle could have anything, heroine,aids, hepititis anything!
    We rushed him to a nearby hospitle, we called his parents which we couldnt get ahold of because they themselves were at a party. We took him to the hospital and they said they would need him to stay for atleast a few hours because nothing will be detectible in his blood for a while.
    I just got home to get a bit of sleep and I will go there in a couple of hours.
    I dont know what could happen!
    I fell so bad for him, I dont think I will be able to sleep. Ill go to the hospital again now, just wanted to get my feelings out. Why cant the goverment take care of these things! Imagine it was a small child who would have found it and started playing with it!
    Thanks for listening
    Patmian212

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

im really sorry to hear about your friend, and my thoughts go out to him and i hope that everything turns out okay in the end Patmian212. That was indeed a horrible incident, accidents do happen, but this one could be far worse, again i hope that this ends up being a minor incident though and will keep you, your friend Geoff and his family in my thoughts. keep us informed of how things go, and its probably a wise idea to let your body relax a bit as the adrenaline wears off and stay with your friend to make sure that he is okay. also be sure to get his parents notified asap.

best wishes,
    tim

3. ecblues macrumors newbie

Just wanted to send my own condolences for a day ruined by such a stupid incident...I was scared to death cleaning out my friend's new apartment which was full of syringe needles from the previous tenants!

The actual risk of transmission of HIV from a needle stick is at last report very low ~1%, perhaps lower. Per protocol he will most likely be given prophylactic treatment until he can be tested properly in due time. As a healthy kid, he should also be properly immunized against other blood borne illnesses (HBV specifically, tetanus not as high).

Unfortunately the one exception is Hep C. No vaccine, no cure, and henceforth high risk of chronicity (of the Hep viruses) and unfortunately a low but still significant risk of transmission via blood contact/needles. I find this more alarming than HIV concerning needle sticks.

Let's not get too worked up though, it's too early to fret. My best wishes and prayers for your friend. Having had friends in healthcare settings with needle sticks in high risk patients, all of them have turned out to be negative, and with a great sigh of relief too.

4. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

:eek: (SLAPPING HAND TO FOREHEAD)

Hope he makes out okay.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers go out to your friend Geoff, hope that he will be alright. If the needle had been there for awhile chances are virus would be dead. Will look forward to your update Patmian212.

6. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I am very sorry to hear that. I am sure your friend will be okay; remember that many viruses cannot survive exposed to air.

I used to have a photo studio in an artsy but "bad" neighborhood. The junkies hated me because I would always get at them about cleaning up their crap; I called the cops many times from my office window when I saw someone really messed up looking to score some more. It made me very sad, but I like to believe I was actually helping them.

This is one of the main reasons I always frowned when my friends took drugs... and they always hid it from me! Now, I am wiser, have more mature friends, who nevertheless, booze it up a little too often: me included. :D

Anyway: the best to your friend and hang in there.

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

What a bummer :( I hope your friend is Ok. Sounds like you were all having a great time until he got jabbed.
    Don't worry, the hospital staff will look after him.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

FWIW, HIV needs warm temperatures (body temp) to survive, so if that needle was on the ground for any amount of time, the chances of it being HIV-infectious are virtually nil.

Can't speak knowledgeably about other viruses, but since HIV is the big one people worry about, I just wanted to mention that.

9. Patmian212 thread starter macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Update. He came out negative for hepatitis but the doctors said that other infections are still possible and he will need a second blood test on monday. Thats good new but hes still not in the clear. Hoping for the best, were gonna re-do the party at my house tonight, with no needles :) . Thanks for your nice words, my friend read the thread and thanks you very much he is now a bit more calm.
    Thanks for your kind words
    Patmian212

10. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be