Something for Powerbook Owners!

Discussion in 'Product Recommendations/Reviews' started by Unclej78, Apr 19, 2004.

1. macrumors member

I didn't want to spend $40 bucks for a laptop holder for my desk. I picked this up at Walmart for $9. Works great, brings the screen up to a more usable position. It now gets better airport reception. I was getting one-two bars and would fade out and I would have to move the powerbook back to get the signal again. I can feel the heat being dissipated, It can breath easier now.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors member

My solution costs 50 cents. I put 2 erasers on the bottom of the pb (top left and right hand corner). If you want more stability, buy a few more erasers and line them up at the top.

3. macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Sweet!

4. macrumors 6502

5. macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

that's actually what i'm doing. i have a copy of ovid's metamorphoses propping up my ibook (more for angle than heat, though. hacked for spanning, and the other monitor takes up most of my desk. hard to keep things arranged properly).

good solution you found there, though. it's all about the innovation.

6. macrumors 65816

mine is even cheaper then all of you i am using those red cups the 16 oz. party cups

first i used 4 but 3 is good enough 2 up front on the sides one in the back central keeps it nice and kool plus i have a fan on it 24/7 now since its summer and its freak-en hot without A/C

7. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Blah blah...

My solution is better, cheaper...blahblahblah. Great idea with the walmart phone holder. It's still better, more stable and slightly more elegant than an old book, erasers or 16 oz cups....
    Thanks for sharing!

8. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, been using it for about a week now. Major improvement. I don't think I would trust me investment with erasers and party cups.

9. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wouldn't trust my $2400 PowerBook to a $9 POS from Wal-Mart either.

10. macrumors Core

thats a great idea, i almost regret getting the podium stand for $40, but i cant say that i do because it has the swivel function which is very useful for me, but thanks for sharing!! its a kick ass solution

11. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I have that stand, and the swivel is nifty, but it's a much better cooling solution for me, rather than the alternative, which would be flat on a desk.

12. macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

My solution was the cheapest. I went to the store, picked up the stand, and walked right ouf of the store. Beat that!!!

j/k

13. macrumors member

14. macrumors 601

stoid

That Wal-Mart stand doesn't look too easy on the wrists. :eek:

I'm going to get an iBreeze from www.macmice.com this summer.

15. macrumors 603

aswitcher

16. thread starter macrumors member

Dual monitors and sep. keyboard., lol

17. macrumors 601

stoid

Well, the iBreeze has the pass through USB port so you aren't burning off a USB port, but if you don't need that port, this one does seem more portable.

I love the description:
    "slippage of the notebook"

Great stuff! :D

18. macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

Old book used here.

I prefer Huxley or on those good days the KAMA SUTRA. :p

19. macrumors member

I can't seem to find it on their website, is that where you got it? I am thinking this would work nicely for me. Thanks

20. macrumors 65816

jackc

I'm thinking of getting an iLap. A bit expensive, but you can use it as a desktop holder and a lap holder. Might be worth it.

21. macrumors 6502

I like the Wal*Mart phone holder idea; it does have sort of an elegant look to it.

My concern: it appears to be metal. Posters here have talked about the finish of the PowerBook as being a touch fragile (I don't have one myself, yet). Could one use the phone holder without worry of PowerBook finish scratches?

I guess one could put some stick-on rubber feet on the phone holder easily enough if this were an issue.

Crikey

22. thread starter macrumors member

It is metal but its also painted. I've moved it several times and never felt that scratching would be an issue. It is raised on each side, so theoretically you could add a strip of rubber to the phone rack itself to protect it even more.

23. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

How do you type with the PB elevated so high up? I don't know about you guys, but my hands are attached to ends of my arms, not my shoulders. A better solution is the RoadTools Pivot 360. Cost: $20. Small, thin and fits easily into a bag.

24. macrumors 65816

we use external keyboards. At-least I do

25. macrumors 6502a

Sounds more like an aversion to shopping at WalMart.