Something I didn't expected...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Soulstorm, May 2, 2005.

1. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Feb 1, 2005
    One of these days I had a lot of times in my hand, and I decided to turn on my Mac tower G3 350MHz (which I hadn't used for a loooooong time) and perform some tests...
    Actually, I installed Panther 10.3.9 in this machine. And guess what...

It ran flawlessly, something I didn't expected. There was of course some chunkyness in some effects like expose end the geenie effects in the dock, but that didn't stop me from using the computer! I also installed developper tools, and games like Tomb raider Chronicles and GLTron. And all three ran splendidly.

I was astonished when I realized that a computer bought approx. 8 years ago can perform well even today. Now I have this machine in my cottage, it is a good companion in the nights when I feel inspired to get involved with programming.

Imagine how long my G5 (see specs) will last...

PS: I just wonder... would a PC last for so long? ;)
  2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Apr 25, 2004
    My friend has an 7 year old DELL P2-400mhz that still works and runs WinXP just fine. So yes, a PC can last just as long and still run the latest OS well.
  3. Greencardman macrumors 6502

Apr 24, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah, my HP 400 mhz ran pretty darn well too, but only after I stuck a 512 stick of ram in it. It was a lot faster and more responsive than a P3 with less ram.

Edit: of course, it was the ugliest thing on the planet. Plus it was the most painfull and annoying thing to open up and change hardware, whereas the old G4 my friend has you just open up the side. If I could chose, I'd go with the G3.