Something I Find Hilarious

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cmaracz88, Jan 1, 2004.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

Sep 5, 2003
    Toronto, ON
    I was linked to a year old thread about powerbook rumors at Macworld San Fransisco. The rumors were about the possible introduction of 12" and 17" Powebooks.

90% of the people on that thread were laughing at how ridiculous the concept of 12" and 17" powerbooks are. In fact, one poster tried to be funny and said in sarcasm that a 17" inch powerbook is so ridiculous the rumor might as well have been of a giant screen, portable, bluetooth on-board, 802.1G, new casing, superlaptop. I found that very funny because, as we all know it turned out to be all these things.

So it just means hopefully there is some good stuff to come this year.
  2. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Amen to that.....I hope Apple can surprise us every year the way they did last year.
  3. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Sep 13, 2002
    at the edge
    Yeah, as much as I like rumor sites, most of the people who post on them have no imagination. I remember the early, early 17" PowerBook rumors. I was intrigued, but people just laughed and laughed at the idea. If something that funny can prove to be true, who knows what else is in store for this year?

There aren't a plethora of juicy rumors this year. All the more reason, then, for some great surprises.
  4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I don't know, but I may have been one of them laughing. I still think that any 17" laptop, be it Apple or otherwise is far to big for a laptop...but that's just my opinion.
  5. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I don't care about any other bells and whistles other then:

1. 17" PowerBook G5
    B. Jacked up system bus speed.
    III. Marginally good battery life.

Anything else above and beyond that is gravy AFAIC.

When Apple decides to grace us with such a beast 30 seconds after ordering this laptop I will be going out and purchasing a 7200 RPM drive to slap in there as well. *drools*
  6. srobert macrumors 68020

Jan 7, 2002
    You're right.

I also remember when people were saying that putting a 17" LCD on a iMac was physically and technically impossible and that it would look silly.

Well, the 17" came out and it looked great...

... then the 20" also came out and I don't think it looks silly at all.

I'm ashamed so say that I was very skeptical on the 17 inchers imac topic. This is a lesson well learned for me. I'm way more open to speculations that I was before the 17" imac came out.