Something I noticed....

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by comrade, Apr 23, 2003.

1. comrade macrumors regular

In a lot of the Panther discussions, many people are saying how great of an idea it is to incorporate multiple graphical logins like XP, yet no one is throwing a fit that Apple is ripping off Windows. yet, if Windows incorporates any similiar features to OSX everyone goes crazy. Anyone else see this?

BTW, this isn't a flame at anyone, just a general observation on people's views.

P.S.

I would like multiple user logins.

2. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

from my prospective windows ripped off unix first so apple aint ripping of windows beshides windows and apple are becomeing very simliar in the way that there systems work and also take note MS HAS OFFICE X ON APPLE dose it make sense for apple to have MS OFFICE X so whose ripping who off...

its my own opinion i dont own a mac by the way not yet anways stuck with windows and linux although linux is my fave no system crashes...

Sabenth

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Re: Something I noticed....

It's not like this feature is exclusive to Windows XP, the NeXT operating system has been around a long time, Apple is probably just re-enabling a feature that was disabled.

Somehow I cannot see it as a ripoff feature, when the disabling was probably a marketing decision nominally influenced by technical issues.

4. comrade thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not sure what you mean here. Please elaborate.

5. unc32 macrumors regular

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i'm with this guy. and not only do i care about who rips who off, i don't care about multiple user logins

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

multiple user logins implies a little better security as well tho. the good thing about multiple user logins, even if you arent going to be logging in multiple times, is the fact that you can "log out" without literally logging out. when you are away from your computer and you don't want someone else seeing what you are doing, you can just 'log out' to the login screen without losing your work.

also, it can't be ripping m$ off if it was around way earlier than XP.

8. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

that would not be logging out but locking the screen.

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

and your point is what? i know what it is.

my description was purely for the purpose of understanding.

10. Sabenth macrumors 6502a

Sabenth

Hey my point was well god knows went off on a weird ramble but basicly like i said logon is based on unix as far as i know so like i said windows is no better and like people have pointed out using multiple logins dosnt actualy work its a case of 2 users 1 pc only one user at a time which makes no sense other than when one user is finished the second user can log in faster but hell why bother ... for domestic home use its not exsaclty nescary for such actions. Granted people want a bit of privcey and have there own bit of the pc but think of the chunks of hd space taken away by a multi user enviroment a mulit running os means that mulit users need sepreat hd space which of course swallows up your hard drive and for people who have small drive sizes it can be a real pain in the ass .. granted most people have 40 gig hds but still how fast do you fill a pc up with crap these days faster than you use too thats for sure and having mulit users with all there own files it soon fills up the hd.. Speaking from exsperance here....

Sabenth

11. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

comrade, i think your right but its a little. I think for many mac users its a little like if the devil started grating you wishes. Your in such shock that its happening that it blinds you a little but just my opinion.

12. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Gents

Please pardon my late arrival to the party here, but I'm not exacly clear as to what the argument here is.

My take is that XP already has the capability to have several users logged into it at any one time.

If this is true, this is news to me! and Wow!

I do know that both XP and OS X have multiple account capabilities, and yes, Microsoft did get the idea from UNIX if that is what the argument is about.

Sorry for the unclarity of understaning the discussion, but the terminology here is a little mixed. Multiple user logins could mean either multiple concurrent logins, or multiple user accounts.

13. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

so far, i've only seen one problem with multiple user simultaneous logins: system resources. on windows xp, users can leave tasks and applications running when they log out, causing the next user that logs in to have a very slow and crappy computing experience.